snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 15 October 2018, 08:56 PM

I don't know that it would follow that the cabinet would be made of members from the leading party in the House/Senate. That happens in the UK because the PM is from the leading party in Parliament. The equivalency might be for Congresspersons from the President's party to form the members of the cabinet.

ETA: One (downside/upside) to that method would be that it would weaken the President's party in Congress since the Congresspersons who leave to form the cabinet would not necessarily be replaced by someone from the same party. That's what happened when Doug Jones (D) was elected to fill the Senate seat vacated by Jeff Sessions when he resigned to become Solicitor General.

FETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It still seems weirder to me that such powerful positions could be entirely unelected, though, whether the people in them stay as part of the legislature during their terms or not.
They are basically extensions of the executive branch so their election is a subset of the Presidential election. Plus, they have to be confirmed by a majority of the Senate, a process that (supposedly) would weed out any unacceptable candidates.

Last edited by GenYus234; 15 October 2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 23 October 2018, 01:59 PM

Cell Phone

Why do so many people talk into a smartphone by holding it horizontally on the tips of their fingers, as if they're about to eat a piping hot Pop-Tart? I realize most modern phones don't look much like - well, telephones - but I believe they're meant to be held like classic telephone receivers. I envision the next generation growing up not knowing how to properly use a hand held voice communication device.
Old 23 October 2018, 02:09 PM

Whalephant

Imitating TV shows, maybe?
Old 23 October 2018, 03:20 PM

Do you see this in cars, or other settings? It's a thing people do when using speaker phone. I see it in cars, where people (like my MIL) got the (partial) message that you are supposed to use speaker phone in the car. They completely missed the point of why.
Old 23 October 2018, 05:44 PM

Cell Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Do you see this in cars, or other settings? It's a thing people do when using speaker phone. I see it in cars, where people (like my MIL) got the (partial) message that you are supposed to use speaker phone in the car. They completely missed the point of why.
I've seen it in cars, on the bus, and elsewhere. I'm not sure, but I think I've seen it on the street and in semi-public areas of large buildings. And while I wouldn't doubt it has to do with speakerphone, there's no need to hold it in such a precarious way. The mic will pick you up if you just speak in its general direction.
Old 23 October 2018, 06:01 PM

Ugh, people who use the speakerphone on the bus.
Old 23 October 2018, 06:26 PM

Icon02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Ugh, people who use the speakerphone on the bus.
And watch TV without headphones. And let the phone ring at max volume for five minutes with really annoying ringtones. And let their kids play games with truly mind-numbing music and dialogue. And...
Old 23 October 2018, 06:33 PM

I once did that by mistake. I was killing time at the airport watching Netflix on my phone. I had my headphones in my ears, but I they weren't plugged into my phone. I assumed it was just difficult to hear over all the background noise, so I turned up the volume...
Old 23 October 2018, 06:54 PM

No

They weren't on speakerphone, but on the bus I've heard a guy taking/relaying customer orders with addresses and phone numbers and such, and a lawyer discussing clients and their cases. I wouldn't want to do business with either of them.
Old 23 October 2018, 09:08 PM

The funniest case I remember was somebody at an airport, who was in a very loud voice reaming out over the phone some poor person who apparently worked for him.

The reason it's funny is that part of what he shouted into the phone was "You have no idea how to even make a phone call!"

I had the hardest time not butting in and saying to him "Obviously you don't either!"
Old 29 October 2018, 05:44 AM

Many cars from the 1930s or so came with a rumble seat that unfolded from where the trunk normally would be. So the question -- why have a rumble seat instead of a regular sedan with a back seat? Was it just a style thing? You could have a stylish coupe, but could still carry a few friends if you had to?
Old 29 October 2018, 06:41 AM

Ponder

For some (just going off a few close-ups on the internet), it looks like you could remove the seats and convert it into trunk space or (in some, not all) the seats were very small and not take up much space.

So from a certain perspective, i can see it developing the other way, "Say, wouldn’t it be neat if we could fit a couple more people in this tiny car by putting some fold-up seats in the trunk?"
Old 29 October 2018, 05:42 PM

Wikipedia references an 1865 definition: "A boot with a seat above it for servants, behind a carriage." So I wonder if that was the point -- a seat where the help could sit without being in the same compartment as the driver. I thought of this question while watching a video of Jay Leno's 1932 Packard, that is, an expensive luxury car in its day that would have been owned by the sort of people who likely would have had servants. Although the same article also mentions that Chevrolet and Ford also made cars with rumble seats, and those certainly weren't luxury cars, so maybe not.
Old 30 October 2018, 02:18 PM

I have the impression that it was often children who rode in rumble seats in cars, but that's a pretty vague impression.
Old 30 October 2018, 02:29 PM

They sound quite similar in some ways to the back seats in modern cars described as "2+2", which tend to be sporty cars that would otherwise be two-seaters but which have had a back seat squeezed in. It would often be children riding in those, because as an adult they're bloody uncomfortable! I've been in the back of cars like that occasionally and at 6'+ and broad-shouldered (not to mention wide in the other direction) I barely fit, and for a long drive it's not at all pleasant...
Old 31 October 2018, 03:14 PM

Bear in mind also that in the days of rumble seats there was no need to fit car seats in -- or, rather, maybe there was a need in the sense that it would have been safer, but neither the car seats nor the concept that they were needed existed. You could, and people routinely did, put children in any space that the children themselves fit into. (Well, not in the trunk, even if the car had one.)

My father had an already-old MG convertible, with two seats and a small open luggage compartment behind them. My parents were generally extra careful about where and how I rode in a car -- in our other car, a Beetle, I had to ride in the back seat and was made to sit down, no standing while the car was moving -- but I remember they once needed to go somewhere, didn't have a babysitter lined up, and couldn't use the Beetle, which was probably being repaired. I got to ride behind the seats in that luggage compartment, in which as I remember I had to lie down in order to fit. I thought it was fun.
Old 31 October 2018, 03:19 PM

What was the purpose of that shelf? Other than the battery compartment, I never saw the purpose of having that there. The boot was decently big for groceries etc. The shelf would have been too high to put back seats in it (plus there would have been zero leg room).

PS. That was the dog's seat. She loved riding in Mom's MGB.
Old 31 October 2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
(Well, not in the trunk, even if the car had one.)
I've certainly ridden in the boot of estate cars on occasion as a child... sounds like you have, too, in a hatchback - what else would you call the luggage space under that shelf?

(eta) Sorry, I misread the sort of car - I can't picture the space in an MG well enough to visualise it, but I'd still say it was part of the boot. Also, that's where the "+2" seats would go, if there was a "2+2" version of the MGB, which as far as I know there wasn't.
Old 31 October 2018, 03:57 PM

We don't call the back storage area of a station wagon or hatchback a trunk, usually. Terms I've heard are "back end" and "the way back".
Old 31 October 2018, 04:03 PM

Here is a good image, the flat area behind the seats.

http://www.victoriabritish.com/inter...t-Bisc-Suf.jpg