snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 12 September 2013, 10:39 PM

Default The Child Exchange - Inside America's Underground Market for Adopted Children

The Child Exchange - Inside America's Underground Market for Adopted Children

Quote:
Part 1: When a Liberian girl proves too much for her parents, they advertise her online and give her to a couple they’ve never met. Days later, she goes missing.

KIEL, Wisconsin – Todd and Melissa Puchalla struggled for more than two years to raise Quita, the troubled teenager they'd adopted from Liberia. When they decided to give her up, they found new parents to take her in less than two days – by posting an ad on the Internet.

Nicole and Calvin Eason, an Illinois couple in their 30s, saw the ad and a picture of the smiling 16-year-old. They were eager to take Quita, even though the ad warned that she had been diagnosed with severe health and behavioral problems. In emails, Nicole Eason assured Melissa Puchalla that she could handle the girl.

"People that are around me think I am awesome with kids," Eason wrote.

A few weeks later, on Oct. 4, 2008, the Puchallas drove six hours from their Wisconsin home to Westville, Illinois. The handoff took place at the Country Aire Mobile Home Park, where the Easons lived in a trailer.

No attorneys or child welfare officials came with them. The Puchallas simply signed a notarized statement declaring these virtual strangers to be Quita's guardians. The visit lasted just a few hours. It was the first and the last time the couples would meet.

To Melissa Puchalla, the Easons "seemed wonderful." Had she vetted them more closely, she might have discovered what Reuters would learn:

• Child welfare authorities had taken away both of Nicole Eason's biological children years earlier. After a sheriff's deputy helped remove the Easons' second child, a newborn baby boy, the deputy wrote in his report that the "parents have severe psychiatric problems as well with violent tendencies."

• The Easons each had been accused by children they were babysitting of sexual abuse, police reports show. They say they did nothing wrong, and neither was charged.

• The only official document attesting to their parenting skills – one purportedly drafted by a social worker who had inspected the Easons' home – was fake, created by the Easons themselves.

On Quita's first night with the Easons, her new guardians told her to join them in their bed, Quita says today. Nicole slept naked, she says.

Within a few days, the Easons stopped responding to Melissa Puchalla's attempts to check on Quita, Puchalla says. When she called the school that Quita was supposed to attend, an administrator told Puchalla that the teenager had never shown up.

Quita wasn't at the trailer park, either. The Easons had packed up their purple Chevy truck and driven off with her, leaving behind a pile of trash, a pair of blue mattresses and two puppies chained in their yard, authorities later found.

The Puchallas had rescued Quita from an orphanage in Liberia, brought her to America and then signed her over to a couple they barely knew. Days later, they had no idea what had become of her.
This is a long, disturbing read. Very disturbing. I don't know what else to say about it - other than to give Reuters credit for some good, in depth journalism.
Old 12 September 2013, 11:16 PM

I read the first part but I don't know if I can continue. It just breaks me.
Old 13 September 2013, 06:15 AM

What next? Babyfarming?
Old 13 September 2013, 06:51 AM

I read the whole thing. Those poor kids. Those poor desperate parents.
Old 13 September 2013, 05:50 PM

From the article:

Quote:
A similar forum on Facebook, Way Stations of Love, remains active. A Facebook spokeswoman says the page shows "that the Internet is a reflection of society, and people are using it for all kinds of communications and to tackle all sorts of problems, including very complicated issues such as this one."
Uh...so they're willingly complicit in what is for all intents and purposes human trafficking?

That's a Reddit-worthy response
Old 13 September 2013, 06:00 PM

I couldn't complete the whole thing because I was getting furious at Big Momma and the Winslow character.

"Smacked the kid on her mouth and tore her lip. Guess I don;t know my own strength, eh? haha"
"Molest the kids. teach them that this is normal. keep it in the family*

Old 13 September 2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
This is a long, disturbing read. Very disturbing. I don't know what else to say about it - other than to give Reuters credit for some good, in depth journalism.
I saw this article the other day and if true it's mind blowing. The ads that were treating the children as subhuman was mindblowing.

I can't remember the exact quote, but we really hate this child? Really?

I am pretty open to how people live their lives and raise their kids, but this article really bothered me.
Old 13 September 2013, 08:30 PM

I finished reading the articles at 1:30 in the morning and then I went into my oldest daughter's room and whispered that I loved her and that I meant it when I swore in the adoption hearing that I would take care of her.

This article has haunted me all day. The utter lack of mental health care is the real culprit here for both adopted children and the child hoarding adults. I don't even want to think about the pedophiles.
Old 13 September 2013, 09:51 PM

Indeed...my cousin's family just adopted a teenager this past week (I get to meet her at Christmas, yayyy). So it's a subject that's been on my mind for some time.
Old 13 September 2013, 10:42 PM

What astounds me is that this is illegal, but in some places there is no penalty for it. How is something even illegal if it has no penalty? Do they just tell you you have been bad and not to do it again?

I have often been very concerned about the fads of adopting kids from foreign countries. I mean, I know that in at least some cases it works out well, and in many cases the kids are living truly awful lives in their home countries. It still seems like a situation that is full of pitfalls. You take a kid that has had who knows what trauma, pull them from their home country and everything familiar, ship them off to go live with strangers in a strange place where they may not even speak the language; that has to go wrong more often than intra-country adoptions.
Old 13 September 2013, 10:52 PM

I have known a few people who have done foreign adoptions and had them work out fine.

But as this article illustrates, it's doubly hard when the child has a background that would already make things taxing for a child in their home country. Even so, I'm still disgusted with the people that just give up and then act horrified that the person they dumped their child on was a pedophile or abuser. You're the one that decided it was a good idea to trade away a child in a parking lot to a complete stranger! You don't get to claim the moral high ground here!

I realize they feel overwhelmed and helpless when they end up in a situation that's more complicated than they expected, but seriously, that's parenthood in a nutshell. They're human beings, not "used cars" or "defective products."
Old 13 September 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
I couldn't complete the whole thing because I was getting furious at Big Momma and the Winslow character.

"Smacked the kid on her mouth and tore her lip. Guess I don;t know my own strength, eh? haha"
"Molest the kids. teach them that this is normal. keep it in the family*

That's about where I stopped. I just couldn't bear to read what happened to that little boy. I knew it would haunt my dreams.
Old 14 September 2013, 12:25 AM

Mouse

It's times like these that makes me wish this board let us drop the f-bomb because sometimes What the NFBSK! is the only justifiable response. For NFBSK's sake, these are children, not used cars!
Old 14 September 2013, 03:39 AM

Bang Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
I realize they feel overwhelmed and helpless when they end up in a situation that's more complicated than they expected, but seriously, that's parenthood in a nutshell. They're human beings, not "used cars" or "defective products."
The "parents" in the articles don't seem to have a very realistic view of parenting at times. Like the family that wanted to give the girl away after five days (seriously, if you moved to another country five days prior would you be perfectly okay?). Would they give away a biological kid with the same problems?

Sister "having mental health issues is no excuse" Ray