snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 24 January 2009, 03:31 PM

Default Save Our Cats and Kittens from Fishermen

Apparently, all you have to do to make money online is invent a fake, but morally reprehensible, tragedy, put together a video about said tragedy, then sell t-shirts.

http://www.adsavvy.org/save-our-cats...ine-as-a-liar/
Old 25 January 2009, 04:22 PM

Soapbox

I work with people who would not only believe this, but would start saving pop can pull tabs for "the cause". Even though nowhere is mentioned pop can pull tabs. This would be circulated by company email with all the forwards intact and several copies of the video embedded.

Then they would click on some attached "get your smilies here!" links and I'd be forced to spend hours proxying into their computers to get the resultant useless toolbars and spy-ware removed.

Wow, that really felt good to vent!

Morning
please don't click on the cute things!
Old 25 January 2009, 05:16 PM

"Don't click the cute things" is the first thing we taught DD1 about computers. She wanted to play all the little games in banner ads and then got confused when other windows asking for personal information (don't do that was rule 0) would pop up. She was 6 at the time though, I think that's a good excuse.
Old 25 January 2009, 06:15 PM

Bang Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
"Don't click the cute things" is the first thing we taught DD1 about computers.
Could you come to my work and repeat that lesson to the 20-60 year olds who work there? Maybe you have the right technique!

I recently sent out a mass email that specifically said "Don't click the cute things." It also said don't install anything without asking IT, don't fill in your email address to WIN FREE THINGS and please do not forward anything with an executable file attached (with a clear definition of executable file).

Did it work?

:headbang:

No.
Old 26 January 2009, 12:20 AM

That poor kitty didn't look too happy to be used as "bait." And by bait I don't mean for sharks. He looks cold.
Old 30 January 2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucanary View Post
That poor kitty didn't look too happy to be used as "bait." And by bait I don't mean for sharks. He looks cold.
Yeah, I think the only thing in that video that could constitute animal cruelty is the fact that they made cats--who looked uncomfortable with the situation--swim around in water. Everything else seemed laughably fake; I loved the part at 1:16 when the guy is supposedly sticking the hook in the cat's back. Instead of squealing in pain and struggling, like a normal kitty would, the cat just kinda shuts its eyes and looks bored.

All I know is that the stuff that they're subjecting the cats to to make the video is dangerous, and not just for the kittens themselves. I'm fairly certain that if anyone got either of my kitty boys wet, made them stay in a bucket, held them for too long, or suspended them from a harness, the first human they got their claws on would probably get his or her face ripped off.

*Has been scratched on numerous occasions by pissed off cats*
Old 02 February 2009, 04:10 AM

Bang Head

What exactly is going on 14 seconds into the video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning View Post
Could you come to my work and repeat that lesson to the 20-60 year olds who work there? Maybe you have the right technique!

I recently sent out a mass email that specifically said "Don't click the cute things." It also said don't install anything without asking IT, don't fill in your email address to WIN FREE THINGS and please do not forward anything with an executable file attached (with a clear definition of executable file).

Did it work?

:headbang:

No.
I have had this conversation with my mother, including "Don't download anything if you don't know were it came from." Sadly this leadds to the following conversation:

Where did this come from?
You aunt.
Auntie can write computer programs?
No.
Where did she get it?
I don't know.
Why did you download it?
You aunt sent it to me. She wouldn't send me anything bad.
She knows less about computers than you do!!! How would she know it was bad???
Old 02 February 2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchy View Post
All I know is that the stuff that they're subjecting the cats to to make the video is dangerous, and not just for the kittens themselves. I'm fairly certain that if anyone got either of my kitty boys wet, made them stay in a bucket, held them for too long, or suspended them from a harness, the first human they got their claws on would probably get his or her face ripped off.

*Has been scratched on numerous occasions by pissed off cats*
Some cats like water. And I doubt they minded the bucket that much, it's almost like a box and you know how much kittens like boxes.
Old 02 February 2009, 06:19 PM

Wolf cats I don't know, dog where used

For the cats I don't know
But wwhat is an real hoax, is to transform a single footage (even if true), in an universal practice.

For the dogs,
A ficherman has been sentenced for that in the Indian Ocean (la reunion Island)
But it was in 2005, and was not a traditionnal use, but a isolated criminal record

see video
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2s...equins_animals

Armchair activism
http://www.30millionsdamis.fr/agir-p...gnature/1.html

See you
Old 07 February 2009, 01:05 PM
redspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucanary View Post
Some cats like water.
Tigers for instance. I'd like to see a video of a fisherman trying to catch a shark with a tiger as bait (maybe a tiger shark?!).

Is it wrong for me to buy one of those TShirts, but to do so ironically?