snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 29 May 2014, 03:02 PM

Icon401 Students at Utah school upset to discover yearbook photos were altered

Quote:
“We only apologize in the sense that we want to be more consistent with what we`re trying to do in that sense we can help kids better prepare for their future by knowing how to dress appropriately for things,” said Terry E. Shoemaker, who is the superintendent of schools for the Wasatch County School District.

http://fox13now.com/2014/05/28/stude...e-publication/
Old 29 May 2014, 03:26 PM

Icon05

The whole thing is bizarre but I'm amazed that they covered bare shoulders. Since when has bare shoulders ever been an issue??
Old 29 May 2014, 03:32 PM

In my day they were not edited because they could not do it easily, so they just removed them from the year book. We also did not just have a sign warning us, but all the teachers making sure we knew what was expectable and what would happen if not.

I do agree with the part about the rules not being applied to everyone.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:37 PM

Seems like it would be a lot easier to just have head shots instead of head and shoulder shots. See no clothing; no photoshopping needed.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
The whole thing is bizarre but I'm amazed that they covered bare shoulders. Since when has bare shoulders ever been an issue??
Back in the early 80s my school required that everyone wear tops with sleeves and no plunging or vee necks. It was a sensible and easily followed dress codes unless your goal was to look like the hot sexy boys and girls in the teen TV shows.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:46 PM

The one girl they not only raised her neckline, they removed her tattoo. The principal talks about they should know the dress code but if that many students were in violation of it then it is clearly not enforced.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:48 PM

I remember when my HS yearbook photos were taken and we all lined for the photog. They had a velvet drape - no, not curtains - for the young women so they could go behind a barrier, take off their tops, wrap the drapes around their upper arms and torsos, and be photographed in a very classical look, like they were in a high class ball gown from the 17-1800s (or even the Roman era?). It was thoroughly accepted that use of the drape would show all of the shoulders and a significant amount of breast (no nipples), depending on the woman's build and how far down she wore the drape.
Old 29 May 2014, 05:04 PM

When my oldest brother was in high school the women were photographed in drapes. That was discontinued by the time my next younger brother graduated 10 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Back in the early 80s my school required that everyone wear tops with sleeves and no plunging or vee necks. It was a sensible and easily followed dress codes unless your goal was to look like the hot sexy boys and girls in the teen TV shows.
"No vee necks" doesn't sound very sensible or easy to follow to me. Not all vee necks plunge.
Old 29 May 2014, 05:20 PM

None of the v-necks that they showed in the article were showing cleavage. The bare shoulders thing seems like a clear rule, but certainly quite conservative.
Old 29 May 2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Seems like it would be a lot easier to just have head shots instead of head and shoulder shots. See no clothing; no photoshopping needed.
Oh, heavens, no! If you don't see clothing, why, one might imagine that they were naked! We can't have that, now can we?
Old 29 May 2014, 05:26 PM

You have to appreciate the twist on the classic non-apology, though. "We're not sorry we did it. We're sorry we didn't do MORE!"

It's almost refreshing to see someone so honest about their own stupidity these days.
Old 29 May 2014, 05:47 PM

It should have been consistent but they were warned.

I'd like to know if any guys had tank tops on that were colored in.
Old 29 May 2014, 06:07 PM

Agreed, LPP. Schools make a lot of rules regarding clothing, not all of which I agree with, but particularly when it is a one time thing, for a specific set of photos and the kids were told how they were expected to look, well, as you say they were warned, the fault was in the uneven application not so much the rules themselves. Anyway the editing, while stupid is probably better than having your picture removed entirely. Unless that was what you hoped would happen if you broke the rules of course.
Old 29 May 2014, 06:41 PM

Glasses

See, LPP and Sue noticed the issue that absolutely leapt out at me: they only altered pictures of girls. IMO, that right there makes their justification spurious.

Unless you're going to tell me that all of the boys were wearing completely professional outfits and had no tattoos.

Seaboe
Old 29 May 2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
"No vee necks" doesn't sound very sensible or easy to follow to me. Not all vee necks plunge.
There is are different meaning for the use of the words "and" and "or".

The school I went to had a dress code that was easily followed and applied equally to boys and girls. No V-necks was very easy to follow and there is no question if it is to low are not. Not plunging meant a standard modest cut. Crew, square, bateau neck and straight collar would be safe. No off the shoulder tops. Button shirts could only have the collar and first button undone. You were allowed to layer to meet the dress code. So a spaghetti strap dress with a t-shirt underneath would be expectable.

The rules were meant to be clear and easily enforced. There was no question as to whether your V-neck was to low are not. It was a V-neck and therefor not allowed, no arguments. Even the boys could not wear one to school except under another shirt. If a boy came in wearing a kilt (something that did happen) it better meet the codes for dress and skirts.

Yes there were girls that were going to show cleavage, but as long as you stuck to the rules you were fine.
Old 29 May 2014, 06:58 PM

So this square neck top would be fine, but this vee neck wouldn't? MMV on what's easy and sensible.
Old 29 May 2014, 07:41 PM

Sometimes it's very difficult for a girl not to show some cleavage. I was about the furthest thing from sexy in high school, but between large breasts and being short enough that most people were looking down on me, anything short of a turtleneck could have been considered to be showing off too much. Luckily, I went to school at a time when wearing a loose t-shirt and ratty plaid was perfectly acceptable. I'd have had trouble with a lot of the styles today.
Old 29 May 2014, 08:10 PM

A few years ago I had put on enough weight that I needed to buy plus size clothes. I don't know why but it seemed that the good people who manufacture plus size tops assume any woman in a plus size must also be tall. Um, not so much. Any plus size vee neck top on me would have had a plunging neckline not just a vee .
Old 29 May 2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
So this square neck top would be fine, but this vee neck wouldn't? MMV on what's easy and sensible.
I thought that I put something about a standard modest cut.

I did just not in the same sentence.

Quote:
Not plunging meant a standard modest cut.
I do not think the square cut neckline is standard or modest and very easily be called plunging.

The V-neck would be find if it you hand something appropriate per the dress code underneath. The rule was simple, no V-necks, unless another layer was per dress code for neckline.

You are trying to play the game of can we make an exception and twist the rules. The school did not play these games with students. Follow the dress code as you were told about on the first day of school and in letters sent to parents or you may be sent home to change. Students learned quite quickly to be on the safe side of the line. They did not make exceptions.

The school I was in did not tolerate exceptions and applied the rules equally to all students. If I violated a school and was caught I was punished for doing it, but punishment would vary depending on reason and circumstances. But you would always receive some punishment. In the case of year book pictures if you did not follow proper dress code (and you were reminded of it a week before) you got you name with a blank picture. If it was to inappropriate other punishment may happen.
Old 29 May 2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
See, LPP and Sue noticed the issue that absolutely leapt out at me: they only altered pictures of girls. IMO, that right there makes their justification spurious.
And even with the girls, at least according to the article, some girls had their photos altered and some girls wearing the same kind of top did not have their photos altered. If you are going to alter for one, you need to alter for all.