snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 23 April 2014, 01:55 PM

Glasses Unhijackable thread

[Referring back to the old thread]

I do intend to get a rescue dog, and I do expect a home visit. I also have tons of stuff I don't want chewed. Plus, I don't think it's fair to expect an animal to live in a mess not of its own making.

Seaboe
Old 23 April 2014, 02:04 PM

I found myself browing PetFinder yesterday and pondering the possibility of getting a dog. But I'm not really in a dog-owning place in my life (although, with DD's upcoming shift change, a dog would not be home alone so much. . . )

Anyway, we're dog-sitting for Lizzy and Chillas' dog this weekend, and like babysitting, that usually cures me of the desire to have one of my own.

I was highly amused by the dog I saw on PetFinder who was named Miss Kittie. Apparently when she was first rescued she would eat only cat food.
Old 23 April 2014, 03:42 PM

I was watching Pioneers of Television on PBS (I recommend it) last night. That episode was about medical dramas, and featured interviews with a number of cast members. I was surprised to see that Norman Lloyd, who played Dr. Auschlander on St. Elsewhere, is still around (and in great shape, as far as I could tell), so I looked him up on IMDB.

He was born in November 1914. Wow.

ETA: Here he is in an ad for California Onecare in 2010, when he was a chipper 95-96YO
Old 23 April 2014, 05:53 PM

Glasses

Something weird is going on with my browser back button. On some of the threads, it tries to go back to the page it's already on, which makes it hang so nothing happens. It's very similar to when a page is sticky (i.e., set up so that pressing the back button reloads the page), except that the page doesn't reload.

I'd think it was something to do with the updated browser or the site except it appears to happen randomly--no real pattern.

Seaboe
Old 23 April 2014, 05:57 PM

Unhijackably, I hate sticky pages.
Old 23 April 2014, 06:01 PM

Glasses

I've gotten into the habit of right clicking on the back button, just in case it's a sticky page. Then I can reload the page I want.

Seaboe
Old 23 April 2014, 06:17 PM

Shifty Eyes

Twice now I've tried to start new threads sharing videos from Mental Floss, and they've been deleted.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or there's an issue with Mental Floss videos that makes them unwanted.

I'm not complaining, really, as our generous hosts can set the rules, but if I'm doing something wrong, I'd like to know what so I won't keep making the same mistake and inadvertently get myself banned for it.
Old 23 April 2014, 07:38 PM

I doubt you'd be banned without any warning about it.
Old 23 April 2014, 07:54 PM

You're right. I'm just worried that I'm being annoying or something.
Old 23 April 2014, 07:56 PM

I would re-read the FAQ. I had a similar issues a while ago. I asked snopes about it and he pointed me to a particular part of the FAQ about formatting of new threads.
Old 23 April 2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I was watching Pioneers of Television on PBS (I recommend it) last night.
I second that recommendation. It's free with an Amazon Prime Membership
Old 24 April 2014, 02:19 PM

Oh dear. I never thought I would see "Liam" turned into a creatively spelled name.
Old 24 April 2014, 02:38 PM

Leeum?

Liumme?

Leighyamme?

I'm curious now.
Old 24 April 2014, 02:49 PM

Leeyum.

I have seen fairly standard alternate spellings like Liahm, but none quite so creative as this.
Old 24 April 2014, 02:51 PM

Ugh. Reminds me of the young woman I knew whose name was Dunyell (Danielle). Just think about the two parts of that name.
Old 24 April 2014, 03:29 PM

I would have thought Dunyell was the sister of Oranjello and Nosmo King, because I first heard it as a punchline.
Old 25 April 2014, 06:52 AM

Looking for advice: I have issues when it comes to conflict with authority figures, and I'm looking for opinions on if I should just let this go, or (as much as it will make me very, very uncomfortable) try and stand up for myself. I'm usually pretty find with just letting things go, but damn this hurt.

Short version to avoid grossness: I was bit by a spider in a sensitive area. The first doctor who worked on the issue numbed things with an injection and then worked on me for almost an hour. Half way through, a second injection was given. I was told to follow up with my normal doctor, but she wasn't available. I wound up seeing another doctor from her office. This doctor told me he would not use the numbing medication, because the injection would hurt more than what he needed to do to the wound. Now, that numbing injection sure as heck does hurt - it's an intense, sharp pain - but it's over in a matter of seconds. After five minutes or so (it was hard to tell time), I told the doctor that I was in pretty intense pain, I could feel making the incisions, squeezing the wound, and filling the wound with packing material everything he was doing. I was told again that the injection would hurt more, and that he was nearly done. I don't know how much time passed, but his notion of "almost done" and mine were very different. Today I had my second follow up appointment, this time back in UC, because there's no way I was going through that again un-numbed. When I told the doctor what happened at my previous appointment she sounded downright disgusted at the previous doctor's behavior. Needless to say, I was numbed during the half hour she worked on the bite. The wound is looking much better, and hopefully will stop feeling like hellfire in the next few days.

The longer I think about it, the more anger I feel toward the second doctor. I took his word on it at first, but when it became clear that I was in pain, he still refused, using the same wording that it would hurt me more than what he was doing. Having been jabbed with that needle twice at that point, and having been worked on for more than hour at the hands of two doctors at that point, shouldn't I be able to tell what hurts worse? His whole attitude was condescending and dismissive. It's not like I was asking for something I could take home and abuse.

The clinic has both an in-person administrative area and an email address I could contact. My initial reaction is to just hide in my room until moving doesn't feel like being stabbed repeatedly, but I can't help but think of all the other patients this guy has likely denied pain relief to. Would an anonymous email have any weight to it at all, or would I just be wasting my time and freaking myself out for something that would likely get deleted without a second glance?
Old 25 April 2014, 07:46 AM

Why would the email have to be anonymus? You could state your name and the date and time you visited the clinic, so they can check that somebody with that name was indeed treated by that doctor at that time. With that much information, I doubt that your email would be deleted.

But I'm not a medical quality controller, nor do I play one on TV.
Old 25 April 2014, 02:04 PM

Glasses

I may have mentioned before that the two good things to come out of this health business are that I haven't had any hot flashes or migraines since it started. Which means I'm back to being cold all the time. Which means it's harder than before to make myself go out and do yard work when I get home because by my standards, it's still pretty cold out there.

As a result, my lawn is beginning to look like a wild field. Too long to mow, in fact. I need to break out the weed whacker to shorten it enough to mow.

My flowers look great, though. Didn't loose a single bulb to the squirrels.

Seaboe
Old 25 April 2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
my lawn is beginning to look like a wild field. Too long to mow, in fact. I need to break out the weed whacker to shorten it enough to mow.

My flowers look great, though.
Have you considered, instead of the weed whacker, putting out a sign saying "Wild Meadow In Process"?
Closed Thread