snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Closed Thread

Old 14 January 2013, 03:39 PM

Default What video games are you playing?

Just after hitting level 58, my game of Skyrim has frozen up. Every time I try to save the game, it freezes and I have to shut down and restart. So, I guess I am done with Skyrim, maybe for good.

So I am kind of wandering from game to game to try and figure out what to do next. Played a bit of Tropico 4, a bit of The Old Republic, and quite a lot of New Super Mario Bros. Wii U. I know there are no new games I want to get until at least March, so it should be a good time to catch up on other games.
Old 14 January 2013, 04:53 PM

I've been playing FTL. Over thirty tries by now and I've never gotten past Sector Five. Someone mentioned having trouble with Mantis sectors, but it's the Zoltans and their ubershields that keep messing me up. I never have powerful enough weapons when I run into them and they just knock out the oxygen and laugh while my crew dies horribly, all for the evil crime of not having proper paperwork?!

Least the Mantis are space pirates and have an awesome music theme, the Zoltan are eeeeevil, I say.
Old 14 January 2013, 05:00 PM

I am having repetitive strain problems in my wrist again and XBox controllers really exacerbate the problem, so I'm taking a break from console games. iPhone game, however...I blew off laundry, dishes, tidying my house, and work to lie on the couch and play stupid Puzzle Craft on my iPhone for hours. Hours. That game has completely stolen my life.
Old 14 January 2013, 08:00 PM

Australia

Jenn, the Puzzle Craft addiction does burn itself out - eventually.

Of course they are talking new material...

Dropbear
Old 14 January 2013, 08:22 PM

I haven't had a problem with repetitive stress injuries yet, but I was worried about giving myself one while I was working on my top 30 run for the Puzzle Craft leaderboard. That session took me almost 3 hours instead of the usual 10 minutes. I got over 100k gold worth of resources out of that one run, but literally nothing to spend it on anymore, and no more levels or achievements left to get. So the addiction is broken. Today I'm not even clicking on the exclamation points anymore. No point. I only just barely got the 1000m achievement toward the very end of my marathon run, so that's crazy hard compared to the others. I got to the max level 35 before I got 1000 meters.
Old 14 January 2013, 08:34 PM

Having maxed out nearly everything but the Ultra-Rare weapons in Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer, I think I'm going to take a break from it for a while. Might keep up with the weekend challenges, but other than that there's not much incentive for me to keep playing it.
Old 15 January 2013, 01:22 AM

Is anyone else playing Ingress?
Old 15 January 2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropbear View Post
Puzzle Craft addiction does burn itself out - eventually.
Speaking of which, does anyone know of any similar games? I've tried searching for recommendations, but haven't found much that I actually like.

Common recommendations:

Triple Town - Feels aimless and chaotic. Despite what superficially sounds similar, the "town building" aspect really has nothing in common other than cute graphics. The puzzle feels like you have no control or ability to plan ahead because you don't know what's coming and have to use whatever you get. I have no idea of any sort of goals or strategy. I just don't get it or enjoy anything about it.

10000000 - The puzzle is based around time running out, which is pretty much a dealbreaker. Action games are stressful, and I play games like this to relax. I get no pleasure out of testing my reflexes. Quick thinking isn't the kind of thinking I want in a puzzle game.

Dungeon Raid - A roguelike feel. It gets harder and harder until you inevitably die and lose basically all of your progress (except for randomly unlocking new classes for other playthroughs). I don't like the masochism of traditional no-save roguelikes where you are meant to invest hours and then lose and have to start all over repeatedly. I don't like this game for much the same reason. Even if that problem were solved, the RPG elements are extremely abstract to the point that they're barely even there, really.

Puzzle Quest 2 - The RPG elements make this the most comparable to Puzzle Craft for me. It's not bad, but the interface is a bit sluggish and bug prone. The RPG side and the core puzzle mechanics are each only so-so. Unlike the other 3 this is at least playable for me, but it feels more like a placeholder pointing out the potential for a great game in this genre rather than actually delivering on that promise.
Old 15 January 2013, 02:40 PM

I started puzzle quest 2 on my phone, and it's all right, but not as good as the first one (which I have on my xbox.)
Old 15 January 2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Speaking of which, does anyone know of any similar games? I've tried searching for recommendations, but haven't found much that I actually like.

Dungeon Raid - A roguelike feel. It gets harder and harder until you inevitably die and lose basically all of your progress (except for randomly unlocking new classes for other playthroughs).
I've only played the lite version, but Dungeon Raid didn't really do it for me either. If all there is is 'beat the high score', I'm not going to find a game compelling for very long.

That being said, have you tried Wargames:WOPR? The puzzles use the Dungeon Raid/Puzzle Craft mechanic, there's no town-building a la Puzzle Craft, but there is a thin "story" mode that's good for a few hours.

Quote:
Puzzle Quest 2 - The RPG elements make this the most comparable to Puzzle Craft for me. It's not bad, but the interface is a bit sluggish and bug prone. The RPG side and the core puzzle mechanics are each only so-so. Unlike the other 3 this is at least playable for me, but it feels more like a placeholder pointing out the potential for a great game in this genre rather than actually delivering on that promise.
The first Puzzle Quest was my jam for a long time, but Puzzle Quest 2 was a pretty big disappointment, in large part due to the interface issues. It's really irritating to watch some slow-ass animation every time I do anything. I just want to match some gems and kill an orc. Also, it seems to me that it might not have allowed audio in the background (playing on my iPhone), which is kind of a dealbreaker for me. I think they went back and "updated" Puzzle Quest 1 to be more like Puzzle Quest 2 but I haven't gone back to see.
Old 15 January 2013, 03:49 PM

I've started Puzzle Craft last night (just finished the tutorial portion and now I'm on my own). Really enjoying it so far and it made me realize what sort of games I like on my iPod Touch - ones that have the option to buy items to build or increase construction speed, but it is not required to in order to enjoy the game.

Other than Puzzle Craft, I have a couple that I bring up at a few times a week:

Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes (both from NimbleBit). Both games can progress (TT more than PP) even when you are not playing which I like a lot. TT can be repetitive as you are simply adding more floors to your tower. Each is unique, but they follow a pattern. PP has the player building airports and adding planes to their fleet. There is the option in both to spend real money, but it's not pushed on you constantly.

For some dungeon crawling, I like Undercroft by Jagex. Reminds me of the D&D PC games of the late 80s like Pool of Radiance. Create your own 4 person party from 5 character classes, go on quests, level up your team, etc. 100% free.

A few days ago I downloaded Blockheads which appears to be a 2-D version of Minecraft. I can see the appeal of the game, but I haven't really spent more than 15 minutes on it yet. You can only seem to create/craft things while in game so be prepared to wait while making your flint spade. You can speed up the process, but that's where the $$$ comes in.

QUESTION: If anyone else plays Pocket Planes, can they recommend a Flight Crew? Or should we create #SnopesAir? For those who don't play, every few days an event is kicked of in a PP city that players can send passengers or cargo. By default, each player is on their own 1 person team, but you can enter a new Flight Crew name and team up with others using that same name. At the end of the event, in-game prizes are given out to the crews who deliver the most passengers and cargo.
Old 15 January 2013, 08:48 PM

Well I've been trying to make my way through Skyrim just to see what the hype was about. I have officially become a "Skyrim hoarder." Seriously, you never know when you're going to need all that crap! I'm also in a Zombie mood, and I think I might borrow my friends Dead Island.

However I just got a Wii for my birthday so I'm currently honing my archery skills.
Old 15 January 2013, 09:06 PM

I think everybody who plays Skyrim becomes a hoarder. Sometimes you do it immediately because you've played RPG games before. For example, you kill the first dragon and loot his corpse, you get dragon scales and bone. Despite them being quite valueable and you not having much money, you keep them because you know you'll need them. Then you just keep keeping them. At the current time, I have enough dragon scale and bone to make at least 5 complete outfits, and upgrade them. Then of course the game screws with you by making dragon scale/plate armor less good than other types.

Also, can you hoard houses?
Old 15 January 2013, 09:42 PM

Bonsai Kitten

College Humor addresses hoarding quite nicely:

Skyrim Hoarding
Old 15 January 2013, 09:53 PM

I had not seen that, but it is hilariously accurate. I was waiting for the guy to find the human skulls that somehow ended up in my clothes wardrobe.

PS. Note that it is NSFPWYSBLOL*.

*Not Safe For Places Where You Shouldn't Be Laughing Out Loud
Old 15 January 2013, 10:08 PM

Thank you for that one, CI. I loved that they got Lydia's "I am sworn to carry your burdens" with the right amount of exasperation.
Old 15 January 2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
For example, you kill the first dragon and loot his corpse, you get dragon scales and bone. Despite them being quite valueable and you not having much money, you keep them because you know you'll need them.
I sold them because they were too heavy to carry around and I knew I'd probably get more soon... in fact, after a while I stopped even bothering to collect the scales and bone because although they're reasonably valuable, their cash-to-weight ratio is pretty low compared to a lot of other things you can find. And my character doesn't have the smithing perks to make anything from them, although I realised quickly that you were bound to be able to make armour and things.

I was playing a mage (until I maxed out the useful magic skills and ran out of mage perks that I wanted), and I had the perks to make my protection spells better if I wasn't wearing armour, so for most of the game I was better off without it. It's quite rare for wizarding robes to be a viable option, in my experience - I really liked that you could get as good protection as a reasonable suit of armour while wearing them in Skyrim, and you weren't better off just wearing armour anyway. Now I've become more rogue-like but I still only ever wear light armour that I can improve without needing lots of perks. I didn't even get the perk to improve magic items until very late, although it's useful - most of my armour and weapons are flawless now.

In general I hoarded less in Skyrim than other, similar games, I think. Perhaps because you don't really get a convenient single base to leave things - I didn't want to keep going back to Whiterun, and I can't even remember where half my other houses are. If there's a good central point I often leave a stash there, but I've realised gradually that you never end up using the stash because you can usually get enough of everything just while going along anyway.
Old 16 January 2013, 02:22 AM

if anyone has a PS3 and $10 -- you must try Tokyo Jungle -- i am in love with this game...

You start out as a Pomeranian puppy struggling to survive in a post apocalyptic Tokyo where all humans have mysteriously disappeared. You can unlock other animals as you progress -- very simple, but very fun and some animals are very challenging -- such as the baby chick
Old 16 January 2013, 05:09 AM

I'll have to look into that. What's the gameplay style?
Old 16 January 2013, 06:12 AM

Driver

Does the Google Doodle mini Zamboni game count? I only played twice. Best score was 310.

~Psihala
Closed Thread