snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 24 March 2008, 05:36 AM

Default The most mysterious video games?

I'm curious... what do you all think are the most mysterious video games, based either on their notoriety or legends behind them? The four that come to my mind...

* POLYBIUS - This should be at the absolute top of anyone's list, without any argument. One of the most controversial arcade games around and yet... no one can prove it ever existed. (At least one person online has a fully functional Polybius machine in their home arcade, but this is merely a recreation. We still don't know exactly what this game was.)

* DUKE NUKEM FOREVER - We've heard about its "forthcoming release" for a decade now, and yet, there is no set release date, nor are there any recent, legitimate pictures of this supposed game in the making. At this point, I doubt we'll ever know exactly what the deal is with this... 3D Realms sure isn't talking.

* SONIC XTREME - Sega's answer to "Mario 64"; they were so desperate to get it on the market, they worked their employees night and day. One almost died. Yet, as far as I know, a copy of this supposedly "groundbreaking" game has yet to circulate.

* BANJO-KAZOOIE - Without a doubt, Stop-N-Swop has reigned for the past decade as one of the gaming world's greatest mysteries... hell, it even has entire websites and fan groups devoted to it. I doubt there has ever been another case in history of a game company taunting its fans as much as Rare has... which only makes the mysteries deepen.

Runners up....
* SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 - Three words: "Genocide City Zone." (The reason I put this in the runners-up category is that GCZ isn't quite as mysterious nowadays as it used to be.)

* SUPER MARIO 64 - There are a lot of unanswered questions about this game, but unfortunately, we may never know the truth. Shigeru Miyamoto spoke of secret levels accessed via the triple jump, yet no one has even found them; and then there's those 100 lives that Yoshi gives you, despite the fact that the game is done and there's no reason to have them. And what about Luigi?

Any more?
Old 24 March 2008, 05:56 AM

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLazenby View Post
* DUKE NUKEM FOREVER - We've heard about its "forthcoming release" for a decade now, and yet, there is no set release date, nor are there any recent, legitimate pictures of this supposed game in the making. At this point, I doubt we'll ever know exactly what the deal is with this... 3D Realms sure isn't talking.
Pulled this off the almighty wiki:
Quote:
Game reviewer Ben "Yatzhee" Croshaw in his Zero Punctuation column commented about DNF:

"I just hope that 3D Realms understands that if this game doesn't turn out to be history's greatest contribution to human culture and the cure for at least one type of cancer, I and every other reviewer on earth are going to saw its bollocks off."
Old 24 March 2008, 07:37 AM

Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Missing Floppies

Maniac Mansion was pretty mysterious to me and my friends due to all the apparent red herrings: chainsaw with no gas, broken staircase that apparently can't be fixed, and a locked medical cabinet that AFAIK has no key.

Coleco was notorious for announcing a bunch of games that never came out, not sure if this is tied to the big crash of 1983 or if that's just how the company was. Tunnels and Trolls seems to be the one that people are most curious about.
Old 24 March 2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
* POLYBIUS
* DUKE NUKEM FOREVER
* SONIC XTREME
* BANJO-KAZOOIE
* SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2
* SUPER MARIO 64
Isn't this Uwe Boll's shooting schedule for june?
Old 24 March 2008, 04:53 PM

Goat

There are a bunch of these in Wizardry 8.

There's a fountain you can interact with but doesn't do anything.

The Rapax Queen's assassins who are nowhere to be found.

A letter you're supposed to give to someone after completing a subquest but the person never appears.

The Umbani and the Trang are suppose to help during a large battle but never show up.

As well as others I can't remember. Most, if not all of these issues were do to the bankruptcy of the games maker, Sirtech, during the finishing stages of the game.
Old 24 March 2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
Maniac Mansion was pretty mysterious to me and my friends due to all the apparent red herrings: chainsaw with no gas,
The Chainsaw fuel turned up in "Zack McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders". The hint book for Zack even had the question, "Can I use the chainsaw fuel?" "No, that's for a different game."
Old 25 March 2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Redwood View Post
A letter you're supposed to give to someone after completing a subquest but the person never appears.
Oh, the bank robbery one? That bugged me for ages...
Old 25 March 2008, 04:04 AM
Dobers

Quote:
* POLYBIUS
I think general consensus is that the original game never existed.

Quote:
A teaser was released on December 19, 2007, but I still don't think the game will ever be completed. It's the Chinese Democracy of videogames.
Old 25 March 2008, 07:20 AM

There's an Atari VCS game I saw go on ebay for an insane amount which was in a limbo of existed/never existed until someone found what is now the only known copy. If I could only remember the name, atomic something?
Old 25 March 2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
A teaser was released on December 19, 2007, but I still don't think the game will ever be completed.
I'm not so sure about that. I get a feeling that it's one of those "project gone bad due to too grand aspirations", but that they have made a fresh start and will eventually get it done.

If nothing else, Duke Nukem is too good a brand to leave unexploited.
Old 25 March 2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:

* BANJO-KAZOOIE - Without a doubt, Stop-N-Swop has reigned for the past decade as one of the gaming world's greatest mysteries... hell, it even has entire websites and fan groups devoted to it. I doubt there has ever been another case in history of a game company taunting its fans as much as Rare has... which only makes the mysteries deepen.
Originally, Rare had planned to have this game interact with its sequel, Banjo-Tooie, in some way, so you could transfer the items from one game to the other. But that idea never panned out. You actually can reach the three secret areas, though, if you enter these cheat codes in the sand castle in Treasure Trove Cove:

Pink Egg:
CHEATOUTOFTHESEAITRISESTOREVEALMORESECRETPRIZES

Blue Egg:
CHEATADESERTDOOROPENSWIDEANCIENTSECRETSWAITINSIDE

Ice Key:
CHEATNOWYOUCANSEEANICEICEKEYWHICHYOUCANHAVEFORFREE
Old 25 March 2008, 09:03 PM
SsnakeBite

No mention of Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas yet ? Come on ! This game has TONS of secrets ! The police brutality, the ghost cars, the suicidal photographer, the body bags in the desert, the Epsylon cult, the Area 69, the ghost graffiti, the "No Easter Egg here" sign...
And add to all of these the ones made up by fans that A LOT of people believed (including myself for some of them) such as the Big Foot, the huge shark (though apparently Rockstar did plan on putting sharks in the water, before changing their minds and putting dolphins in it instead), Extraterrestrials, Leatherface, a wandering Dead-Alive, the Northstar Rock Ape Man, haunted houses, a secret island, etc...

Also, there' s a lot of rumors and legends circulating about FF8. First of all, there' s a lot of more or less hidden side quests (the Obel Lake, PuPu & the UFOs, the hidden Omega Weapon, Deep Sea, etc...), but there are also a fe things that have been discovered about it by the fans. Such as the fact that Laguna Loire is probably Squall Leonhart' s father, or the fact tha Ultimecia might be Rinoa Heartilly who' d gone mad after Squall' s death.
Old 26 March 2008, 09:11 PM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1958Fury View Post
The Chainsaw fuel turned up in "Zack McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders". The hint book for Zack even had the question, "Can I use the chainsaw fuel?" "No, that's for a different game."
Oh my! I haven't thought of Zack McKraken in years! I used to play that on our Commodore 64. Never did finish it, because I was distracted by a newborn. She's 19 now .
Old 27 March 2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchlady View Post
Oh my! I haven't thought of Zack McKraken in years! I used to play that on our Commodore 64. Never did finish it, because I was distracted by a newborn. She's 19 now .
Well, dig it out of the closet, and get playing!

Somebody needs to put these on one of those "classics" compliation disks.
Old 27 March 2008, 07:27 PM

TB Tabby, you're forgetting the other ones. There's a red egg, a cyan egg, a green egg and a yellow egg as well. But damned if I can remember the codes at the moment. I'll try my best...

Green (Mad Monster Mansion) - CHEAT AMIDST THE HAUNTED GLOOM A SECRET IN THE BATHROOM
Cyan (Mad Monster Mansion) - CHEAT NOW DONT YOU GO AND TELL HER ABOUT THE SECRET IN HER CELLAR
Yellow (Click Clock Wood) - CHEAT NOW YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE IT ON NABNUTS TABLE
Red (Rusty Bucket Bay) - CHEAT THIS SECRET YOULL BE GRABBIN IN THE CAPTAINS CABIN

It was discovered recently that Rusty Bucket Bay has more to it than we thought before; there's a big empty room (accessible with the "press L to float code") that apparently has some glitched up Stop 'N' Swop egg data in it, as if one was supposed to appear there somehow. Someone also found a switch in the level data that might've had something to do with this.

Incidentally, someone mentioned a game that was left with a number of mysteries due to a problem with the company; that sounds like the situation with "Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life." The company (7th Level) folded during production, so the game was commercially released as-is. Besides the handful of major glitches (like the infamous Attic problem), there are a number of unfinished aspects of the game. One level ("Dental") is now nothing more than a single screen, though cheating reveals that it was apparently intended to be much larger, as it has several unused (and unfinished - they're hand-drawn) items in its data.

Last edited by TheLazenby; 27 March 2008 at 07:33 PM.