snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 01 June 2014, 01:42 PM

Default Anti-Gay Christian Group Refuses To Accept Mail With New Harvey Milk Stamp

Fundamentalist Christian group American Family Association is urging members not to accept any mail postmarked with the U.S. Postal Service’s newly released Harvey Milk stamp, the first U.S. stamp to feature an openly gay elected official.

“Honoring predator Harvey Milk on a U.S. postage stamp is disturbing to say the least. Harvey Milk was a very disreputable man and used his charm and power to prey on young boys with emotional problems and drug addiction,” an AFA press release said Wednesday. “He is the last person we should be featuring on a stamp.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5412295.html
Old 01 June 2014, 03:18 PM

Because mailing with these stamps will give you Teh Gay.

Thank almighty we live in an era of preglued stamps. If this came out when you still had to lick the stamp, I shudder to think what "gay agenda" conspiracy that's supposed to be.
Old 01 June 2014, 03:32 PM

I'm sure that if he had been a gay icon who only had relationships with men his own age, they'd be fine with it.
Old 01 June 2014, 03:36 PM

Oh well. Hope they don't miss any important mail. No, wait, I don't care if they do or not. At least this nonsense is unlikely to hurt anyone but them.

ETA: The part about Milk's partners having "emotional problems" is particularly rich.
Old 01 June 2014, 04:00 PM

I understand not buying stamps that represent something you oppose, but rejecting mail over it is just pointless and possibly self-damaging, if you miss bills, notices and other significant mail. But then, almost all such mail would be metered anyway, and those who would choose Harvey Milk stamps probably do not often write letters to AFA members - though they may start
Old 01 June 2014, 04:12 PM

If I had names and addresses, I'd start.

I wouldn't want to inconvenience innocent postal carriers, though.

ETA: Of course, I do have one address. . . And I can't possibly be the only person who's thought of this.
Old 01 June 2014, 05:18 PM

Clearly the USPS has been plotting this all along to get people writing letters more.
Old 01 June 2014, 07:41 PM

I looked into it a little bit. It looks like Harvey Milk really did have sex with a 16 year old boy, Jack McKinley, when the age of consent in California was 18. Mlik was in his 30's at the time. Cite.

I don't want to begrudge him the good he did for the LGBT movement, but I also can't pretend he wasn't guilty of sex with a minor either.
Old 01 June 2014, 07:53 PM

I did the same thing, Amigone. I knew who he was of course but not much about him so I was curious to know if their allegations were based on his life or their assumptions about gay people. It's too bad that there does seem to be some truth to what they're saying about Milk.
Old 01 June 2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigone201 View Post
I looked into it a little bit. It looks like Harvey Milk really did have sex with a 16 year old boy, Jack McKinley, when the age of consent in California was 18. Mlik was in his 30's at the time. Cite.
Milk did not move to California until 1972 when he was 42. So it would have been New York consent laws, which in the 1960s was 18. He was still under age, just you were using the wrong state.

He was also probably guilty of sodomy or crimes against nature for having a sexual relationship with another male. This still does not change the boys age at the time.
Old 02 June 2014, 12:07 AM

I bet they have no problem at all accepting money with pictures of slave owners.
Old 02 June 2014, 12:09 AM

Or pictures of people who committed genocide, for that matter.
Old 02 June 2014, 12:18 AM

I would be surprised if they also objected to stamps depicting Elvis Presley, who began dating Priscilla when she was 14 years old.
Old 02 June 2014, 03:01 AM

Or Jerry Lee Lewis.
Old 02 June 2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I would be surprised if they also objected to stamps depicting Elvis Presley, who began dating Priscilla when she was 14 years old.
Since I am pretty sure that there has been stamps with Elvis I am sure they must have.
Old 02 June 2014, 04:48 AM

//Slight hijack// Elvis stamps were like a really big thing a decade or two back. There was actually a legit controversy over whether to put a younger or older Elvis on it.

http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/artof...lvisballot.htm
Old 02 June 2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachrymose View Post
Fundamentalist Christian group American Family Association is urging members not to accept any mail postmarked with the U.S. Postal Service’s newly released Harvey Milk stamp, the first U.S. stamp to feature an openly gay elected official.
Even those that might include a generous donation to AFA?
Old 02 June 2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Milk did not move to California until 1972 when he was 42. So it would have been New York consent laws, which in the 1960s was 18. He was still under age, just you were using the wrong state.

He was also probably guilty of sodomy or crimes against nature for having a sexual relationship with another male. This still does not change the boys age at the time.
Although Jack McKinley is the only person below the age on consent that Harvey Milk is known to have slept with he also had a reputation for having sex with young men in general (ie: men younger than he was) so some church groups are trying to portray him as a serial child predator, assuming that the other 'young' men were also underaged when their ages aren't actually known.
It might have happened more than once but then again it might not have, there's no good evidence to say it did.

ETA: that's all as far as I'm aware, I haven't dedicated days of my life researching Harvey Milk's sex life
Old 02 June 2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaybear View Post
Or Jerry Lee Lewis.
I didn't think either of them were alleged to have raped the women in question. 'dating' was not a euphemism for having sex with, and should not be used as one now. AFAIK, the marriages were legal when and where contracted.
Old 02 June 2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I haven't dedicated days of my life researching Harvey Milk's sex life
If you did, you'd be a part of the American Family Association.