snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 28 May 2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I think it's related to that feeling some people get when they're on top of a tall building or a bridge and they get the urge to jump. It's so common that the French have a name for it: L’appel du vide (the call of the void). It happens to cats as well.
There's a related phenomenon known as Intrusive thoughts where people get sudden and unwanted urges to perform some violent or crazy act out of the blue. Most people can shrug it off but it can become a continuing psychological issue for some people.
There was a study a few years back that came up with a tentative hypothesis that the urge to jump off a high building might actually be your brain reinterpreting your kneejerk instinct to back away from the edge even though you know it's safe. It automatically asks itself "Why do I suddenly feel the need to back up from the edge when there's no logical reason to do so?" and jumps to the conclusion "I must have wanted to jump." YMMV
This made me think of a section from Douglas Adam's Last Chance to See (BTW, a really good, entertaining book...the chapter with his fight with a mosquito net had me in tears):
“I've heard an idea proposed, I've no idea how seriously, to account for the sensation of vertigo. It's an idea that I instinctively like and it goes like this. The dizzy sensation we experience when standing in high places is not simply a fear of falling. It's often the case that the only thing likely to make us fall is the actual dizziness itself, so it is, at best, an extremely irrational, even self-fulfilling fear. However, in the distant past of our evolutionary journey toward our current state, we lived in trees. We leapt from tree to tree. There are even those who speculate that we may have something birdlike in our ancestral line. In which case, there may be some part of our mind that, when confronted with a void, expects to be able to leap out into it and even urges us to do so. So what you end up with is a conflict between a primitive, atavistic part of your mind which is saying "Jump!" and the more modern, rational part of your mind which is saying, "For Christ's sake, don't!" In fact, vertigo is explained by some not as the fear of falling, but as the temptation to jump!”
Old 28 May 2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Interesting -- I would have thought that touching from behind people who were working with dangerous objects would be a very bad idea. I suppose the people you worked with were used to it and had been trained to expect touch as a warning signal, so that it didn't make them jump?
Some of the time they were wearing hearing protection so verbal wasn't always sufficient. It also allowed a gentler way to block if they started to turn with the object. If was kind of a "damned if you do,damned if you don't" situation. You might startle them when announcing your presence but are usually in a safer spot behind them rather then not letting them know and being off to their side.
But as you pointed out it wasn't unusual in the jobs so not a big surprise and other tasks could involve guiding someone with a hand on their back.(While they were walking backwards down stairs or over rough terrain while carrying a stretcher/gurney, spotting for a sawyer with overhead hazards or backing someone up using a hose line)
Old 28 May 2014, 05:54 PM

This looks like a really great vacation to me.
Old 28 May 2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I think it's related to that feeling some people get when they're on top of a tall building or a bridge and they get the urge to jump. It's so common that the French have a name for it: [I]L’appel du vide (the call of the void). It happens to cats as well.
The link you gave for "it happens to cats" discussed injuries in cats who fall from heights; but I didn't see anything claiming that the cats fall because they had an urge to jump. Did I miss something?
Old 29 May 2014, 04:08 AM

After seeing this I'm now obsessed with nixie tubes. I keep trying to find uses for them around the house.
Old 29 May 2014, 04:44 AM

- Go to a mall that has a toy store on an upper floor.
- Buy every Slinky in said toy store.
- Walk over to the nearest up escalator, arms full of Slinkies.
- Let the Slinkies loose down the up escalator.
- Laugh and scream maniacally "Go my Slinkies! Go my minions!"
Old 29 May 2014, 03:20 PM

Goat

Quote:
The link you gave for "it happens to cats" discussed injuries in cats who fall from heights; but I didn't see anything claiming that the cats fall because they had an urge to jump. Did I miss something?
Perhaps it relies on the assumption that cats are too sure-footed to fall by accident. I have read, however, that the major cause of injury and death for animals in craggy mountain habitats is falls - if mountain goats, snow leopards, and bighorn sheep have troubles with occasional falls, I don't know why a housecat would not at least as much.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:21 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Perhaps it relies on the assumption that cats are too sure-footed to fall by accident. I have read, however, that the major cause of injury and death for animals in craggy mountain habitats is falls - if mountain goats, snow leopards, and bighorn sheep have troubles with occasional falls, I don't know why a housecat would not at least as much.
I may have also been kidding a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:29 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
HOW CAN SUICIDIAL KITTIES BE A TOPIC FOR A JOKE!!!!!

BTW, 'Suicidal Kitties' would be a great name for an Emo girl-group.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:29 PM

Nobody wants to try to rob a bank just to see if they could get away with it?
Old 29 May 2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Uh ... sure. You go first.

Back in my 'Urban Exploration' phase I broke into all sorts of abandoned buildings including a bank, the old police state headquarters, an insane asylum, a fun park and an old WW1 powder magazine. Breaking into places is actually awesome fun and can be really challenging at times. I had to 'case' some of those buildings for a week or two before I figured out a way in.

Note: I was always extremely careful not to damage the buildings in any way. Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos!
Old 29 May 2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
But in this day and age with school security being what it is and people hyper-paranoid about anything having to do with kids, one can't just call up an elementary school office and ask for a tour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
That's what stops me too. While it is just curiosity to see the inside, and zip interest in the kids, in this day and age, school authorities would probably wonder why a middle-aged woman with no kids would want to tour a high school. And you can't just stroll into the building on your own anymore. (I think people could when I went to school.)

Magdalene
Catholic elementary schools - the ones around here anyway - have open houses (open to anyone) every year at the end of January or beginning of February, during Catholic Schools Week. I believe it's a national thing. They're designed to encourage enrollment and donations.
Old 29 May 2014, 04:23 PM

I always love seeing normally hidden/secret places. One of my coolest experiences was getting to have lunch at Club 33 in Disneyland. In my city, there's a stub of LRT tunnel from an underground track that never got built. Most of the system as at grade, but a few downtown buildings have the basic structure for underground stations sketched in, since the eventual plan is to run a second underground track a block south of the current track. I'd love to see those (or just the plans. I like looking at hypothetical city plans). I'm too much of a rule follower to really get into Urban Exploration, but I do love looking at the pictures.
Old 29 May 2014, 04:36 PM

Some buildings in Akron, OH were built over the Ohio canal, and there used to be places you could go in basements or parking garage lower levels and seek the canal. I imagine they're all closed up by now, or the stretches of canal filled in.

ETA: The Seattle Underground Tour is fun.
Old 29 May 2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Perhaps it relies on the assumption that cats are too sure-footed to fall by accident. .
I have lived with a lot of cats. They certainly do fall by accident.

-- it occurs to me to add: the falls I've seen have been from non-hazardous distances; the usual reaction of the cat is to look around to see if anyone noticed and then to start washing, putting on the cat's best "I meant to do that" expression. But relaxed cats on chairs or beds sometimes roll over without looking and roll off; and cats sometimes miss jumps and fall. It's pretty common.

I have also twice known cats (different cats) to deliberately go out a second story window. Neither was hurt -- they were both young cats in good health. I wonder whether in addition to the rolling over or missed jump factors high-rise syndrome is occasionally caused by a cat not realizing how far down is. I don't know how you'd test a cat's vision well enough to tell whether its depth perception is working.

Quote:
Aha.

thorny -- trying to adjust humor sensors now; or possibly rapidly washing -- locust
Old 29 May 2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
-- it occurs to me to add: the falls I've seen have been from non-hazardous distances; the usual reaction of the cat is to look around to see if anyone noticed and then to start washing, putting on the cat's best "I meant to do that" expression. But relaxed cats on chairs or beds sometimes roll over without looking and roll off; and cats sometimes miss jumps and fall. It's pretty common.
The internet is full of videos of it, in fact.

I was once lucky enough to be looking when our Hammy -- usually a skilled high jumper -- missed the top of the china cabinet and briefly hung from it by his front paws.
Old 29 May 2014, 08:54 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
That is among several illegal things I would like to try for the challenge. I'm fairly certain I could figure out a way to get a weapon through airport security as well.
Old 29 May 2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
That is among several illegal things I would like to try for the challenge. I'm fairly certain I could figure out a way to get a weapon through airport security as well.
At the risk of appearing psycho....

While I would not commit a murder, I have often considered scenarios to see if getting away with one would be at all possible. The first challenge that I have is that having been in the military, my fingerprints are on file, so that's the first immediate hurdle I would have to get over. I've sat there and wondered which would be easier to do: 1.) Make certain I leave no prints and have the victim be a stranger (with the idea being the authorities would never look for me, since I would have no motive?) or 2.) Have the victim be somebody known to me, so if prints are found, it would reasonable, since the victim and I knew each other? (I don't believe my DNA is on file--given that DNA evidence wasn't widely used until the mid-1990's, and my service time was before then.) Then there's the matter of best way to deal with the body--leave it where it was (presuming I don't do this on my property), or risk dumping it somewhere?

However, the big problem is I'm a horrible liar, so if I were ever questioned, I'd get caught for sure. And I'm just not willing to go to dramatic lengths to see if I could get away with it.

Magdalene
Old 29 May 2014, 11:55 PM

Back when I was in college, there was a really, really nice guy who was.. well, just plain REALLY NICE. You couldn't imagine this guy thinking an unpleasant thought. In fact, after graduation, he went to seminary school and became a priest - saw him a few times afterwards and he never really changed. Just a nice guy.

ANYWAYS... so we're in one of the college cafeterias one day, looking out a window at the throngs of students walking to and from the various buildings, and he turns to me and says, "Did you ever wonder what it would be like to be out there, walking along, and then just reach out and kick someone in the head? And just keep on walking?"

Well, actually, yes; but whoah! that it came from HIS mouth...!
Old 30 May 2014, 01:29 AM

sometimes I am attempted to walk along the tops of dividers, parking lot bumpers, etc. - oh, wait, I did that this evening in the shopping center parking lot.