snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 11 June 2007, 01:42 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Increase the number of deer that hunters are allowed to take each hunting season?
And perhaps create a carcass donation program to allow hunters to take more deer without having to pay for another carcass butchering. Butchering is a fairly big expense for those on tight budgets. [cite= Hess's Deer Processing. (not for the squeamish, fyi)] The donated deer could be used for folks who need more food in their freezer.

I've known of hunters that "buy" deer licenses. They get a non-hunting friend to get a deer tag and then take them to the check in station with the extra dead deer and the extra tag. Mostly these are not trophy hunters, but rather people who use the meat.

And it is possible that a carcass donation program would also lower the waste when jerks come down to my rural county to shoot a deer, cut it's head off and leave the rest as trash... *munchkin*

Morning
does not eat hunted meat
Old 11 June 2007, 02:32 PM

Ah, so that's where the ones I've been seeing in Ohio are coming from. Before I moved away for 6 years, I had never seen one here. Since I've been back, I've seen one dead on the side of the road, and members of my family say they've seen live ones on occasion.

I'd like to see more of them. They're really good at corpse patrol, keeping all the animals that get hit by cars from just laying there looking disgusting while they rot. And in my experience in California, they are less likely to cause trouble around humans than a racoon. On the rare occasions you see one, they just keep an eye on you, and disappear if you try to approach any closer.

If they can thin out the deer so I don't hit one (one of my biggest fears), all the better.
Old 11 June 2007, 02:35 PM

There have been newspaper stories about coyotes migrating into Ohio. I've also noticed at least one sheep farm now keeps llamas in the field with its sheep, which is an anti-coyote measure.
Old 05 July 2007, 02:35 AM

Wolf Unwelcome Neighbors Tracked in Westchester

Daniel Bogan, a graduate research assistant at Cornell, is tracking the coyote in the hope of learning more about this relatively recent arrival to the suburbs of New York City, where reports of encounters with pets and children are on the rise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/03/ny.../03coyote.html
Old 05 July 2007, 04:43 PM
Seraphina

Quote:
Increase the number of deer that hunters are allowed to take each hunting season?
But hunters do not necesarily take the weak ones, do they.
Old 05 July 2007, 11:32 PM
Barns & No Bull

All those deer were originally farmed and imported by horse-drawn carriage makers to cause the newly economically-enabled population to shun from purchasing high speed motorized vehicles which would be totally ruined by impacting any large ungulates that would dare to trespass upon the trodden pathways - which later came to be known as thoroughfares and highways. There once was a time when the civilized world consisted of only tortoises, eagles and mermaids. Everything else was cultivated and brought in by outsiders who would never be allowed to drink from our cup.
Old 05 July 2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
But hunters do not necesarily take the weak ones, do they.
No, in fact they deliberately do not hunt fawns or, I believe, does. But more hunting would still reduce the deer population.

The deer that end up on our highways, causing accidents that kill them, cause property damage, and may injure or kill humans, are not necessarily the weak ones, either.
Old 06 July 2007, 12:09 AM

Because of the hunting that's done in Michigan, the deer population is very low. I went from seeing 10-20 deer, to seeing 1-if that, within the last 8 years.

Morrigan
Old 06 July 2007, 01:00 AM
Barns & No Bull

Back to the OP...

Quote:
The big conspiracy theory is "the insurance companies are
behind it" because they want the coyotes to kill the deer so that fewer
deer means fewer auto/deer accidents and fewer insurance claims.
Introduced coyotes might cause this insurance plan to backfire, because they compel deer to be flighty and cross roads more frequently as a result of being hyper-reactive to real threats (those new coyotes) and benign stimuli (something other than those nasty new coyotes which have been running around). Of course this idea might set the stage for a new conspiracy. The insurance agencies are killing all of the coyotes, because they drive deer onto roads which causes vehile collisions. Any state or region that experiences reductions in coyote presence is a result of covert insurance company policy.

The deer are the pawns no matter how you look at this. Oh, does pawn sound like fawn? That is either a pun or not, depending on where you eat your breakfast and who you call a friend.
Old 08 July 2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: In Western Pennsylvania there is a re-emergence of coyotes after
many decades of near extinction in our area. Some people swear they've
seen truckloads of coyotes being hauled in from "coyote farms" in Idaho to
Pennsylvania. The big conspiracy theory is "the insurance companies are
behind it" because they want the coyotes to kill the deer so that fewer
deer means fewer auto/deer accidents and fewer insurance claims.

I think it's all B.S. myself but some avid sportsmen with solid
credentials stand by it.
There are much better and cheaper ways of preventing deer/auto accidents. Some Scandinavian countries use a system of putting two small reflectors low on a tree near roads, and when a car's light hit them it looks like a wolf's eyes and scares the deer away.
Old 08 July 2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
There are much better and cheaper ways of preventing deer/auto accidents. Some Scandinavian countries use a system of putting two small reflectors low on a tree near roads, and when a car's light hit them it looks like a wolf's eyes and scares the deer away.
That probably works in areas where deer have learned to be afraid of wolves. It is a possibility that they have an innate fear of two shining dots like that, but it seems that would have them running away from each other when the moonlight hits them just right. In most of the USA, especially the east, the wolves are totally gone. We would be much better off re-introducing them and having a stable active population. However people have listened to the fairy tales too long, and think wolves are out to get people. AFAIK, they don't even go for livestock the way coyotes do.
Old 27 July 2007, 09:40 AM

Driver States Seek to Curb Deer-Related Crashes

As long as cars have been around, drivers have had to contend with deer on the roads. And despite their best efforts, experts have yet to devise an economical, surefire way of preventing accidents.

Not that they haven't been trying.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US
Old 16 December 2007, 10:01 PM

Icon104 Legends abound about who controls deer population

Each year disgruntled or misinformed hunters point to so-called "urban legends" to try to explain or rationalize what's happening with the deer population.

http://www.syracuse.com/articles/spo...670.xml&coll=1
Old 18 December 2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
No, in fact they deliberately do not hunt fawns or, I believe, does. But more hunting would still reduce the deer population.

The deer that end up on our highways, causing accidents that kill them, cause property damage, and may injure or kill humans, are not necessarily the weak ones, either.
By the time hunting season rolls around, there are few real "fawns" out there. The youngsters that were born in the spring are big enough to qualify as "little deer", don't have the spots, may or may not be hanging out in a family group, and certainly get shot and eaten by hunters.

Fish & Game's management of the deer population determines whether hunters shoot bucks or does. They usually offer different tags and have different hunts for the different genders. If you want the hunters to shoot more does, you increase the # of doe tags given per hunt, the # given per hunter, or the length of the doe season.

Due to the fact that not-very-good hunters far outnumber good hunters, hunting pressure tends to kill the "stupid" deer. These aren't necessarily the same as the weak, but there could be some correlation. There could also be correlation towards the ones getting hit, because the more remote and away from roads the deer live, the less likely they are to get shot. Deer facing population pressure may also have to travel more and thereby have to cross more roads and get hit by cars more, so selectively hunting in the high-population and high-road density areas could definitely help.
Old 02 March 2008, 08:22 PM

Wolf Coyote stocking a myth, says commission

There's a persistent rumor -- call it a rural myth -- about how coyotes arrived in Pennsylvania. The story goes something like this: in a misguided effort to reduce the deer herd, the Game Commission secretly imported coyotes and released them throughout the state, later denying it when their numbers grew.

"That's [bull]," said Game Commission spokesman Jerry Feaser. "How do you continue to fight a false rumor? We even know how the rumor started."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08062/861838-358.stm
Old 19 January 2014, 11:10 PM

Wolf Coyote conspiracy: Myth, or state-business collusion?

For years, a not-so-small segment of the hunting community has suspected coyotes have been secretly imported to the region by states to reduce their deer herds and/or by insurance firms to cut deer-related accident claims.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...ollusion_.html
Old 08 September 2014, 07:44 PM

Deer

Comment: It has often been rumored that the Auto Insurance companies,
State Farm in particular, were behind the reintroduction of Coyotes into
Pennsylvania in order to kill Deer, which are the cause of huge yearly
claims due to collisions. It was said that they colluded with the
Pennsylvania Game Commission which was under political pressure, from
Harrisburg, to grant this action...Any truth to that rumor?
Old 08 September 2014, 09:00 PM

I just love comments that begin with some variation of "it has been stated."
Old 09 September 2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I just love comments that begin with some variation of "it has been stated."
Research has shown that if you start a sentence with "research has shown", more people will believe you.
Old 09 September 2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: It has often been rumored that the Auto Insurance companies,
State Farm in particular, were behind the reintroduction of Coyotes into
Pennsylvania in order to kill Deer,
[derp]Wake up Sheeple! Why would they be State FARM if they didn't raise farmed coyotes?[/derp]