snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Critter Country

Old 11 July 2014, 01:36 AM

Deer Pictures of people riding in kangaroo pouches

I've seen a number of faked pictures of people riding in kangaroo pouches, and it's a common cartoon theme, but I've always wondered if that ever HAS happened?

Now, I'm not suggesting that it's like they show in cartoons, but the female Red Kangaroo, also known as the Giant Kangaroo, has a pouch that's big enough to accommodate a human infant, provided she's already had a joey that's grown large enough to stretch her pouch out.

So have there ever been any recorded instances of someone actually trying to pull off a stunt like that?
Old 21 July 2014, 04:56 AM

Don't red kangaroos have long wicked claws that can actually eviscerate a person? I'm not sure you could get close enough to climb into the pouch.
Old 21 July 2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWhitman View Post
but the female Red Kangaroo, also known as the Giant Kangaroo, has a pouch that's big enough to accommodate a human infant, provided she's already had a joey that's grown large enough to stretch her pouch out.
First up, I've never heard anyone refer to it as the Giant Kangaroo.

Secondly the female red kangaroos are significantly smaller than the males and really aren't that big, plus their joeys pretty much fold themselves up to fit into the pouches and there's really not that much room in there. I don't think most human infants would be able to fit in there. A really really young newborn might possible fit.

My mother was part of an animal rescue group when I was a kid so I spent years and years around kangaroos. They were all Eastern Greys but the females Greys are approximately the same size as female Reds.

Here's a video of a joey folding itself up to get back into its mother's pouch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04kXgo6j_0U
Old 21 July 2014, 02:48 PM

The largest female kangaroos are the red kangaroos, with a largest size for females of 41 inches, excluding the tail. Any person trying to get in the pouch of a creature that size would have to be very small - toddler or toddler-sized

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_kangaroo
Old 21 July 2014, 04:37 PM

My toddler would be first in line.
Old 21 July 2014, 07:01 PM

Can't kangaroos grip their pouches? I'd think they'd dump any cargo they hadn't approved.
Old 21 July 2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
The largest female kangaroos are the red kangaroos, with a largest size for females of 41 inches, excluding the tail. Any person trying to get in the pouch of a creature that size would have to be very small - toddler or toddler-sized

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_kangaroo
And would have to get the approval of said kangaroo.

All jokes aside, I saw a documentary on one of these rescue places in the middle of outback Australia. One comment made was how roos don't like being handled there, and it takes a while for the handlers to build up enough trust for them to check the pouch for immature young.
Old 24 July 2014, 06:19 AM

Okay, I mentioned this conversation to my sister and she immediately blurted, "You wouldn't want to be in there! It's hot and filled with mucus!" Is there any truth to this statement at all?