snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 07 October 2015, 07:07 PM

Default Scientology Ramps Up 'Going Clear' Smear Campaign, Targets Academy Members

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...g-clear-829957

Quote:
The Church of Scientology really doesn’t want Alex Gibney to win an Oscar for his documentary Going Clear.

Since the film — a scathing critique of the controversial church and its celebrity adherents, including Tom Cruise and John Travolta, based on Lawrence Wright's best-selling book — won three Emmys in September, the filmmaker says he has been the subject of an increasingly hostile harassment campaign that has included a Scientology-backed "documentary" and outreach to members of the Academy’s doc branch, the group that selects the Oscar contenders.
Interesting that their focus isn't on countering the info in Going Clear, but rather attacking Gibney. But then it's harder to counter the truth.
Old 07 October 2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
Interesting that their focus isn't on countering the info in Going Clear, but rather attacking Gibney. But then it's harder to counter the truth.
From what I can tell, this sort of thing is a time-honored tradition in some circles.

~Psihala
Old 07 October 2015, 07:56 PM

It's been the standard MO for Scientology since day one, hasn't it?
Old 07 October 2015, 08:34 PM

Jaded

If you've seen the movie, you understand why they do this. It's pretty much what Hubbard would do when he was alive, and it seems like the higher you go in the organization, the more like L. Ron you start to become.

I highly recommend the movie, by the way. I had sort of fallen off keeping up with what crazyness Scientology was up to and part of the reason the movie is so strong is because so many high level people have defected and they're all talking now.

I'm just disappointed it did nothing to dent Tom Cruise's career. The movie presented incontrovertible evidence that he has participated in physical abuse campaigns against other members, used Scientologists to abuse his ex-wife Nicole Kidman including stalking her and effectively removing her from her children, and he willingly takes advantage of services they provide him through the effective enslavement of the Sea Org staff. But not one person talked to him about Scientology on his last press tour. Even Jon Stewart gave him a puff interview. Even if Scientology collapses, Cruise will rise about it all unharmed.
Old 07 October 2015, 09:37 PM

I've been boycotting Cruise ever since I heard about the way Nicole got treated.
Old 08 October 2015, 12:06 AM

Mouse

Okay, totes didn't know all that about Tom and Nicole. Knew he was a creep who served her with divorce papers while she was recovering from a miscarriage but that was the extent of my knowledge of that mess. Though, I admit that I am baffled by Tom's status as a hunk: he strikes me more as generic, rather than handsome. He's basically a Ken doll as far as I'm concerned. Though given that he hasn't aged since the 80s...Did he make some kind of Picture of Dorian Gray-type deal when he became a convert or something?
Old 08 October 2015, 03:09 PM

Perhaps they should look to Barbra Streisand?
Old 08 October 2015, 06:22 PM

I recommend both the movie and the book. I read the book when it came out, but still found the movie interesting. Some things, like the event where they gave Cruise the award are best seen, not just read about. And the interviews with LRH.

Also recommend the book by Jenna Miscavige-Hill. Not so much (maybe none at all; I can't recall) about the Xenu stuff, but lots about how they treat children of members and used (still use?) them for free labour. She was the 'doctor' for the children at the Ranch, doling out vitamins for every ailment.
Old 08 October 2015, 06:31 PM

A co-worker offered to lend me the book while I was out on medical leave last year, but I was afraid that reading it while under the influence of Percocet would lead to nightmares.