snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 26 December 2017, 06:19 PM

Baseball

As I sit here, eating leftovers on Boxing Day, yesterday was a huge success.

Everyone who came found something that they could eat and enjoy. A big thankyou to those who mentioned the Hindu vegetarian. Because due to shifting guest lists (we told everyone that we were the dinner of last resort, and were happy with it) we ended up having a vegetarian in the crowd.

Some things I learned:

- my curry is nothing like in India, but our Indian guest** said it was excellent anyways (as he had 3 servings of my bell pepper korma)

- our Muslim guest was not so concerned about halal food. He explained that if we serve non-halal food, he can partake without sacrificing his soul. But, I don't know whether that was the very polite and inoffensive 19 year old speaking, or a young man who really understood the rules surrounding food

- one of my girls does not like salmon. I've been cooking it for years and she finally let me know last night that she did not like salmon

- jello is a popular dessert

- fresh green salad is not such a popular dish

It was great, and I made food for 15. I have about a week's worth of leftovers.

Thanks once again for the advice and options. I included a lot of it and it really contributed to the success of the evening.

**Our Indian guest came to Canada in August, and this was his first event in a "Canadian" home. He was shy, unsure of our customs. He loved the way he was made a part of the "family" in our family dinner. That made my night.
Old 26 December 2017, 08:50 PM

Well done UEL. Nothing like a little help from your friends.

BW
Old 27 December 2017, 03:33 AM

Nicely done!

If I can get fresh green salad I usually eat several bowls; fresh greens don't last very long in our house. But seeing as I was the only one at Boxing Day dinner tonight hitting the salad I can accept I'm the only one.
Old 27 December 2017, 03:04 PM

Baseball

The young man who came to Canada as a Syrian refugee brought a bottle of wine with him. It was funny because one of the first things he said to me in conversation is "what does the wine taste like"...

...thus the third bottle of wine of the evening was opened and shared with our new Syrian friend. He quite liked the flavour, but not the after taste. Not detecting any aftertaste, I deduced that he did not like the wine, but seeing as how he brought it, and asked to try it, he did not want to lose face. Fair enough, more for me.

I had such a good time. It took to 7 pm tonight to get all the dishes washed and the kitchen back in order. My daughters' fridge is full, full, full with leftovers. I suspect I'll end up fetching the salmon (). They can keep the cola and the egg nog. I might pop over tomorrow for lunch regardless.

Eventually I will lose my desire to talk about it. I was so energised for the dinner, and it came off so well, I'm still on a bit of cloud 9.
Old 27 December 2017, 03:25 PM

That's great, UEL. There's nothing more fun than pulling off a great get-together, especially when food is involved; it’s so satisfying to be able to take care of people in that fundamental way. It sounds like everyone had a wonderful time.
Old 28 December 2017, 04:02 AM

At least the salmon will find a good home.

My husband is deathly allergic (anaphylaxis type allergy) to all seafood, so I can only have salmon, cod and tuna (my faves, but I love fish) when he's out of town, or I'm at work and have a chance to brush my teeth before I kiss him. If I even cook it in our house he gets red and flushed, so no go. My boss ALWAYS orders me a tuna sandwich and I love her for it. I really miss fish.