snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 03 June 2018, 03:05 AM

I think she’s trying to claim she thought Jarrett looks like Helena Bonham Carter’s character in Planet of the Apes. It’s still racist, and it still doesn’t explain away the “Muslim Brotherhood” remark.

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 03 June 2018 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03 June 2018, 03:47 PM

It's just the usual thing for when a racist gets caught: lying through her teeth.
Old 03 June 2018, 04:05 PM

Default Roseanne Barr Is What America Has Become

Barr’s odyssey from a liberal champion of the underpaid working class to a vitriolic Trump supporter and conspiracy theorist with an attraction to racist language is in many ways symptomatic of the United States itself.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/rosean...become/243157/
Old 03 June 2018, 11:02 PM

I have to say I did not take "Planet of the Apes" to be a racial remark, but only a reference to an opinion of someone's looks. Whether that's due to enlightenment or stupidity on my part, I leave for others to decide. As for "Muslim Brotherhood", it's either a reference to Jarrett's birthplace or (more likely) just a general conspiracy-theory-based Obama administration reference - not that that makes it any better.
Old 03 June 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I have to say I did not take "Planet of the Apes" to be a racial remark, but only a reference to an opinion of someone's looks. Whether that's due to enlightenment or stupidity on my part, I leave for others to decide. As for "Muslim Brotherhood", it's either a reference to Jarrett's birthplace or (more likely) just a general conspiracy-theory-based Obama administration reference - not that that makes it any better.
There was a time when I might not have caught that comparing a black person to an ape was any different than comparing a white person to an ape. That time is not now. It hasn't been now since at least the early days of the Obama administration. Roseanne has made these kinds of racist remarks in the past - it is unreasonable to me that she wasn't aware that what she was tweeting was racist. Leaving her aside what is mind boggling to me is the rush by some relatively prominent Republicans to defend her and not only to pretend that it's not racist but to post their own racist comments. Some Florida Republican compared Obama to Curious George - but it's all good because Curious George is cute .
Old 04 June 2018, 12:59 AM

It is hardly different than the N word. Comparing people of color to various simians is a racist tradition that goes back more than 150 years before Obama. I do blame the education system. This is what we should be teaching in Black History Month - about how people were oppressed and the various tools of language, culture, law, intimidation, destruction, murder, genocide. Yes, Harriet Tubman and George Carver, too. But spend the first three weeks teaching why their achievements were so important. (Hint: It isn't about underground railroads or peanuts!)
Old 04 June 2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
This is what we should be teaching in Black History Month - about how people were oppressed and the various tools of language, culture, law, intimidation, destruction, murder, genocide.
Not just in Black History Month, but generally. I think a lot of people in the U.S. are truly unaware of how deep these things are rooted, or how recently some institutionalized aspects of racism were overturned.

I'm 60 years old. Desegregation of the military was only technically achieved ten years before my birth, and in actuality took some time after that. When I was born, people were still alive who could remember when slavery was legal. I have clear memories of what to many are dim, distant, pages in history: voter literacy tests and poll taxes, George Wallace standing in the door of the University of Alabama, the publicizing of the then recently concluded Tuskegee syphilis study.

If someone isn't aware how recent such things are, it's easier for them to ignore or dismiss the racist aspects of many things that go on today - gerrymandering, voter ID laws, disproportionate instances of police aggression, etc.
Old 05 June 2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post

I'm 60 years old. Desegregation of the military was only technically achieved ten years before my birth, and in actuality took some time after that. When I was born, people were still alive who could remember when slavery was legal. I have clear memories of what to many are dim, distant, pages in history: voter literacy tests and poll taxes, George Wallace standing in the door of the University of Alabama, the publicizing of the then recently concluded Tuskegee syphilis study.

If someone isn't aware how recent such things are, it's easier for them to ignore or dismiss the racist aspects of many things that go on today - gerrymandering, voter ID laws, disproportionate instances of police aggression, etc.
I'm 66.

And the only reason I don't remember seeing, in my daily life, signs for segregated water fountains, etc., is because I didn't grow up one state over from where I was raised. Not that NY should have been claiming bragging rights; we would still have had legal deed restrictions if the Supremes hadn't banned them (in 1948, also well within living memory), and in effect many areas still did have them in practice.

And the effect of those deed restrictions, and of later redlining practices, continues today.
Old 05 June 2018, 04:46 PM

I'm seeing a lot of headlines saying ABC might resume/reboot the Roseanne show without Barr. I don't know enough about the just-cancelled version to know if that seems realistic, but it would be nice for the 200 or so other people involved to get their jobs back.
Old 05 June 2018, 05:36 PM

I wonder how they'd swing that. Is the title character going to suddenly get hit by a bus offscreen?
Old 05 June 2018, 05:48 PM

I haven't seen the reboot but I've been reading a lot about it and the Roseanne character was written as having some health problems. It wouldn't be a stretch to have her have to have surgery and have things go wrong. If they wanted to kill her off they could do it quite believably. If the powers that be are really pissed off enough though they could even pull a Lorre* and have her die sitting on the toilet or some other ignominious end.

*Lorre -- pulling a Lorre is doing what Chuck Lorre did when Charlie Sheen left Two and Half Men under less than stellar circumstances - he had the character pushed to his death under a metro train -- and then years later had it that he'd never died but been imprisoned in a house nearby the whole time. Seriously creepy stuff.
Old 05 June 2018, 05:51 PM

That's what happened to Valerie Harper when there was a dispute. They even changed the name of the show from Valerie to Valerie's Family. It managed 4 more seasons without her so there is certainly precedent.

ETA: Maybe they'll have Rosanne go up the stairs at the end of the season and just never come down?
Old 05 June 2018, 06:47 PM

Baseball

The two concepts I read about (one on a comedy site, so pinch of salt and all) involved renaming the show.

One was to call it "The Connors" and carry on as if Roseanne had passed on or left.

The other was to call it "Dan" and focus extensively on John Goodman's character.

I'll leave it to you what one was on the comedy site.

But in reality, it feels more to me that this is really a case of wishful thinking. Fans want the show to continue. People who don't like Barr want the show to continue without her, even though they won't watch. The networks know that whatever they do they will have detractors.

As it sits now, there is no risk in not letting the show continue. There is big risk in letting it continue. After all, will the audience grow or at least stay the same levels? Will advertisers buy in? How do you address the elephant in the room? The writers are still the same writers. Do they keep on the GOP supporting conservative tack? Or do they roll that back a bit and lean more into a progressive path?

Resurrecting the show will be risky. And that is why I think the Roseanne reboot is done.
Old 05 June 2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
That's what happened to Valerie Harper when there was a dispute. They even changed the name of the show from Valerie to Valerie's Family. It managed 4 more seasons without her so there is certainly precedent.

ETA: Maybe they'll have Rosanne go up the stairs at the end of the season and just never come down?
It eventually became Valerie's Family: The Hogans, and finally the Hogan Family. It switched networks near the end, too.
Old 05 June 2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
There was a time when I might not have caught that comparing a black person to an ape was any different than comparing a white person to an ape. That time is not now.
I heard someone recently note the terms "porch monkey" and/or "yard apes" as being racist, which took me somewhat aback, as they were originally introduced to me as terms to use for kids in general (like "rug rats" only a bit older), not kids of any particular race. They're not terms I would have much occasion to use anyway, but I made an extra mental note.

Of course, as I pedantically pointed out when Trump was referring to immigrants as "animals" recently, human beings (regardless of ethnicity) are apes (as well as being animals), from a biological standpoint -- but of course that's not the sense in which Trump, Roseanne, or others intending it as derogatory are using the terms.
Old 05 June 2018, 10:06 PM

I take it you haven't seen Clerks 2? There is a scene in it with Wanda Sykes that addresses porch monkey.
Old 05 June 2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I wonder how they'd swing that. Is the title character going to suddenly get hit by a bus offscreen?
We can only hope.
Old 06 June 2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I take it you haven't seen Clerks 2? There is a scene in it with Wanda Sykes that addresses porch monkey.
Ah, nope. Saw the first one but not the sequel.
Old 13 June 2018, 03:41 PM

Producers are moving toward an agreement that would allow them to go ahead with a “Roseanne” spinoff, Page Six has learned, because Roseanne Barr is “seriously considering” forgoing any profits from the new show.

https://pagesix.com/2018/06/12/rosea...782.1528900108

Personally I think a spinoff, or a reboot of the reboot, is a terrible idea but I can understand why many would want to have it happen, if only to continue working - a very good reason. And if Roseanne is genuinely contrite this would be one way of showing it - well that and staying off twitter.
Old 13 June 2018, 03:50 PM

TV

I've heard that any spinoff would focus on the daughter in the original show.