snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 13 June 2018, 06:33 PM

Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
None in Canada? I guess IHOb isn't as I as their acronym would claim to be.
Calgary has one, Edmonton has three and I know that there is also at least one in Kelowna (BC). Maybe it's a western Canada thing?

We also still have an Olive Garden - Edmonton has two.
Old 13 June 2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
*I think Bob Evan's may have expanded to NC now, but at the time they were limited to the Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana region, I believe.
I've never been to one. Just looked at the menu and it immediately made me think of Cracker Barrel. (the restaurant, not the cheese).

OY
Old 13 June 2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Olive Garden has good endless soup/salad/breadsticks, and is usually not too much money.
That's the thing, Olive Garden isn't dirt cheap, and fairly good Italian food is often not that pricey. If it was a clear case of price competition, the phenomenon would be far more explicable.

According to their online menu, at the nearest Olive Garden, entrees range from $15 to $20. That is right in line with a normal restaurant. People criticizing Olive Garden are generally not suggesting that you have to go to a very expensive Italian restaurant to have good food.

And usually the last thing on my mind after having Italian food is that I wish it had been all you can eat and I had gotten larger portions for my money.
Old 13 June 2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Years ago, I was out with my mother, and she wanted to stop at a Subway -- I think she thought it was a new independent place. She tasted her sandwich, tasted mine, and said, 'This will never catch on.' I had to break it to her. I also thought both sandwiches were awful; but obviously lots of people disagree with me.
That's exactly what I thought about Subway when I first tried one in Australia in 2001! Although specifically, I thought "This is one chain that will never catch on in the UK". I was wrong...
Old 13 June 2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmISam View Post
Calgary has one, Edmonton has three and I know that there is also at least one in Kelowna (BC). Maybe it's a western Canada thing?

We also still have an Olive Garden - Edmonton has two.
Yes, I guess a western thing. Looks like the nearest IHOP to Toronto in Niagara (both sides of border...so in Canada, but almost not).

I always wanted to go to Perkins as a kid. We saw the commercials on the Buffalo stations and there weren't any yet in Canada. I have since been as an adult. Nothing special.
Old 13 June 2018, 06:53 PM

I've found places like Perkins and Red Lobster and Olive Garden for that matter are handy when you're eating out with a varied group. Like my extended family - especially if we're going out with the senior crowd. There's usually something on the menu that everyone will like and while the prices aren't super cheap they're not high enough to have any of my more, hmm, tightfisted, relations get all up in arms. They also IME don't give groups a hard time about separate bills which is an issue in many places.
Old 13 June 2018, 07:09 PM

I don't know that separate checks is such a big deal anymore. We belong to a dinner group that meets once a month at different local restaurants around the area. Only one of them had an issue with separate checks. Our group usually has 8-12 couples, so that's a good number of checks.
Old 13 June 2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I always wanted to go to Perkins as a kid. We saw the commercials on the Buffalo stations and there weren't any yet in Canada. I have since been as an adult. Nothing special.
Perkins was the restaurant we always went to whenever we took my grandparents out to lunch when we went to visit them. It was mostly just that it was where they always seemed to want to go, and I think that was considered to be the "good" restaurant in the small midwestern town where they lived. The last time we went there to visit, at which point grandma was in a nursing home and couldn't come with us, the rest of us still decided to go to Perkins just because it had almost become tradition. As an adult I realized, like you said, it's really nothing special.
Old 13 June 2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
And usually the last thing on my mind after having Italian food is that I wish it had been all you can eat and I had gotten larger portions for my money.
Unfortunately, for many people this is exactly the thinking. That if they end up spending $20, $30, or $40 dollars per person for dinner and drinks they expect to receive a large portion of food otherwise these people consider the meal to not be a value.

I've long commented that it seems you need to go to higher price point restaurants to get sensibly sized portions instead of enough food for two or more people per plate. When the DW and I eat at such a price point, we often will share an entree, otherwise there will just be way too much food to enjoy without waste or possibly undesired leftovers. Sometimes there still is, even sharing one portion.
Old 14 June 2018, 01:23 PM

Two thoughts about that, iskinner:

One of them is that the "sensibly sized portion" for one person isn't the right sized portion for everybody. For one thing, even aside from issues of whether people are fat or thin, some people are a lot larger than others, and need more food. For another, people primarily doing office work need less food than people doing work including significant physical labor. (I commented to the people I was sharing a lunch table with at a farming convention that the first year or two we held that convention at a new place there was never enough food, because they were used to feeding office workers and had no idea how much food farmers -- including thin farmers -- go through. One of the people at the table said that her husband had the same problem with construction conferences.)

The other probably doesn't apply to all-you-can-eat buffet type places, where it's supposed to be all you can eat while you're there and doesn't mean all-you-can-carry-back-home; but for a standard type of sit down restaurant, some people may be figuring on taking home enough leftovers for another meal; so they're actually getting two meals for that price. That of course doesn't work out well for people who don't like leftovers, or who are travelling through or just continuing on that evening to do something else with no refrigeration available.

Maybe it would make more sense, instead of trying to make the portions at any one restaurant one-size-fits-all, for the restaurants to offer options in portion size. Some places do offer "children's" portions, but they're often from a different menu, not available for all the same items as on the adult menu. Some places offer "senior" portions, but those are sometimes only available at certain times; plus which, it seems silly to call them that when it may be a person of any age who wants one.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:06 PM

I've seen some restaurants have a smaller portion of their entrees available. Or at least some of their choices available that way. It's a good idea especially for those of us who don't really like toting home that "doggie bag" because we know nine times out of ten it's going to sit in the fridge until we toss it.

My thought, to some extent, on the ridiculously large portions of food is that it's a bit like the way the store clerks stuff your 5 cent plastic bag until it's too heavy to lift, even though you've said "as many bags as it takes honestly!" it's because in their experience they are going to get a lot more grief from more people if they don't fill your plate (or use too many bags) so they'd rather err on that side than the other.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:27 PM

I believe it is also a long running practice an many of these types of places to obfuscate rising food and labor costs. Raise the price by 20%, but add 10% more food so when customers notice they are paying more, many can justify it since they feel they are getting more food.

But it seems to getting to a point of ridiculousness. I find it hard to imagine the even the hungriest farmer, construction, logger type is looking for a 5,000 kcal entree that can now be found on a surprising number of menus.
Old 14 June 2018, 02:33 PM

Large portions have been around a long time but a trend I see now is "big food", the ridiculously huge hamburger for example. The way some restaurants have "gut busters" or similar and challenge their customer to eat a ludicrously sized item. I think this goes hand in hand with the deep fried bacon wrapped bacon trend - in other words it's a bit of a reaction against eating healthy food. Hey guys screw that! Let's make eating out fun again by encouraging people to eat 5,000 calories not just in one sitting but in one mouthful! That'll show the nanny state we're not going to be pushed around!
Old 14 June 2018, 02:44 PM

Basically, the food version of "rolling coal".
Old 14 June 2018, 03:51 PM

More like the food version of "hold my beer and watch this!"

But that kind of stuff has been around a long time. How many TV shows and movies from the 70s and 80s had the characters stop a restaurant where there was a challenge to eat a five pound steak or a gallon and a half sized ice cream sundae?

I think what we're seeing now is really more an effect of the pork industry's viral marketing scheme for bacon added onto that (you didn't think everyone started going crazy for bacon spontaneously, did you?).
Old 15 June 2018, 08:30 PM

'Lasagna Wings With Extra Italy': If a bot wrote an Olive Garden commercial.
Old 15 June 2018, 09:07 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post
I believe it is also a long running practice an many of these types of places to obfuscate rising food and labor costs. Raise the price by 20%, but add 10% more food so when customers notice they are paying more, many can justify it since they feel they are getting more food.
I noticed other restaurants doing similar, but with their "specials".

Go in on a normal meal night and get the regular deal and it comes with 3 pieces of meat, 2 scoops of mashed potatoes and 2 veggies with a bun on a side plate. Go in on the "special" night where it is 25% off and order it. It comes with 2 pieces of meat, 1 scoop of mashed potatoes, 1 veggie and the bun on the main plate.

Hmmmm. 25% off, but 25% less food. You aren't fooling me.
Old 16 June 2018, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post

But it seems to getting to a point of ridiculousness. I find it hard to imagine the even the hungriest farmer, construction, logger type is looking for a 5,000 kcal entree that can now be found on a surprising number of menus.
Speaking of large portions, I just didn't feel like cooking tonight, so I ordered Chinese take-out. I'm probably going to get at least three meals out of their "dinner for one" -- that's what it was called on the menu. I really didn't need to order those extra egg rolls, except for the fact that I like egg rolls.
Old 18 June 2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Speaking of large portions, I just didn't feel like cooking tonight, so I ordered Chinese take-out. I'm probably going to get at least three meals out of their "dinner for one" -- that's what it was called on the menu. I really didn't need to order those extra egg rolls, except for the fact that I like egg rolls.
We always play the game 'how many people do they think this meal is for' when we order Chinese. Based on the number of fortune cookies it's usually about 8 or 10 people. We don't have it very often, so we order every single thing we like. Then have it for at least 2 full dinners and 2 lunches (for me only. Mr S gets fed at work) and maybe a side for something else that we cook.
Old 18 June 2018, 01:06 PM

Speaking of ordering Chinese food what I find annoying is that the place we like best will only deliver on a minimum order of $40 and that's before taxes and delivery charge. So the last time I was home alone and wanted to treat myself to a Chinese meal it ended up costing me almost $60 for one person! Not to reopen the tipping debate but I did wonder afterwards if you need to tip when you are already paying a delivery charge, but I wondered that after I had already included the tip in the total. We were eating leftovers for a few days BTW!