snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 15 June 2018, 01:37 PM

What a touching story, Richard! Based on the comment "decided to have children" I wouldn't assume she is pregnant though, it sounds more like perhaps they'd been trying to make up their minds for awhile about children and one or the other needed some convincing and you caught the moment when they both decided it was time to go for it. Either way very sweet!
Old 15 June 2018, 02:23 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Hannibal Buress said something on Seth Meyers's show I've been saying for years: (paraphrasing) When it's white people, they call them "expats" and not what they are - immigrants.

Yeah..I'm forever being told we are the "Right Kind of Immigrants"tm.

I'm guessing it less to do with our education or how we've integrated and more to do with our colour and perceived religion.

During Ethics class for both DDs one of the lessons was on immigrants. It's amazing how the other students claimed not to know any immigrants at all even when DD1 pointed out she's an immigrant and DD2 pointed out she's an anchor baby (not technically since she was born while we had a works visa but before we got our PR interviews and acceptance. She was 2 weeks old when we were accepted.)
Old 15 June 2018, 02:23 PM

Glasses

Congratulations, Richard. That was very sweet.

In other news, the City Council is being sued over the meeting at which they repealed the head tax. What makes me happy is that the anti-tax people had plenty of signatures for a referendum (or an initiative; I can never remember the difference), and the deadline hadn't passed, so they filed the signatures.

So, if this lawsuit supposedly unrelated to the repeal ends up negating the repeal, the people in the city will get to vote on the tax.

Seaboe
Old 15 June 2018, 02:32 PM

Royalty

Ordered my tickets for Ghost. It will be the first concert I'll have taken the kids to in an arena. We took them to Heavy Montreal 2016 but that was in Parc Jean Drapeau.

I'm going to miss my husband though. Ghost was the last band we saw together.
Old 16 June 2018, 12:50 AM

I just discovered that a Five Guys has opened near me. I don't know how long it's been there as it's in a shopping center I don't go to often, so I just discovered it today. I've been wanting to try them for a while since I've heard so much about them, but there wasn't one that was convenient to me. We'll see if they can replace In-N-Out as my go to burger place.
Old 18 June 2018, 05:43 AM

What a great story to tell, Richard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
She told me that I'd captured the exact moment when they'd "decided to have children". (I'm not sure what that means... given my study of their body language earlier, I think it might have meant the moment when she'd told him she was pregnant, and they'd decided to keep it).
That could have been us (my then partner, now wife and I). We were sitting in a pub (in the old lighthouse on the small island of Neuwerk, where we spent a night on a weekend) when we where talking about having kids and whether we felt confident enough in ourselves, our partnership and our ability to care for and raise children, and what having children mean for our life and our careers, and finally decided that there was no ideal point in time, and there would probably never come a better one, and we would go ahead and try to have a baby (not then and there, of course).

Sadlky, there was nobody there to draw us at the time.
Old 20 June 2018, 05:42 PM

TV

What makes me happy: NBC's coverage of the Royal Ascot races and the DVR technology that enables me to record them for after-work viewing.
Great job NBC!
Old 21 June 2018, 12:01 PM

Turns out that most of my dad's recent dementia-like mental issues are a direct result of several drugs he's been taking to treat various ailments over the years; off of those drugs (and with some others re-adjusted), he's back to himself again.
Old 21 June 2018, 01:05 PM

Cheer

That's great news CoC!
Old 21 June 2018, 02:21 PM

Glasses

I don't think that's a little thing, Crius. Sounds quite big to me.

This is a little thing: I've learned to increase and decrease in filet crochet.

Seaboe
Old 21 June 2018, 08:00 PM

Very cool, Richard W! And no little thing. It always so rewarding to find others see your talent and appreciate it.

I have two things to be happy about. I've been in my new job for six months now. My old employer sent an e-mail asking if I knew the user name and password for the company Facebook page. I had explained in detail what needed to be done to switch the administrator from my page to his. Told him again what needed to be done and last night I was able to cut the last tie to that firm. Free at last, free at last, free at last!

Richard's story reminded me of something that happened to me recently. As I said, I've been at my new job for six months now. The other day one of the women in the store office (I work at a different location but need to stop by their office daily) asked if I do photography. I said, "yes, yes I do". We went back and forth a bit before finding out she had bought one of my photos many years ago at a fundraiser. She is now one of the few non family members I know that has my work hanging on her wall. Most buyers are just names or places.
Old 21 June 2018, 11:02 PM

Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
....We'll see if they can replace In-N-Out as my go to burger place.
Order the small fries. Trust me, there's more than enough for DW and me. Also, their BLT is pretty good!
Old 25 June 2018, 01:09 PM

Icon105

DH was pleasantly surprised when I brought out a birthday cake for him last evening (replete with candles of course). Today is his actual birthday, but he's going out and exploring Alexandria VA.
Old 26 June 2018, 11:11 PM

Icon24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
Very cool, Richard W! And no little thing. It always so rewarding to find others see your talent and appreciate it.
Thanks (and to others)! I actually had a follow-up in the same bar tonight, not involving that couple, but starting to write it up sounded even more contrived than the last one so I won't. In short, my random sketching led me to meet a former graffiti artist who happened to have tagged the corner of one of the cocktail menu blackboards in the bar, which I spotted when he tagged the corner of my sketch in the same style. He was especially impressed that I'd noticed his tag when his wife hadn't...

He drew me a graffiti-tag version of my name, which technically (although very different stylistically) is ten times better than I can manage at the moment - one very quick set of light strokes to plan out an outline, and then a second set of dark firm strokes over the top, all in the same pencil. The firm strokes go exactly where he meant them to go without hesitation, and the pressure is consistent on both the light strokes and the dark ones. My own sketches are a mess of different pressures and consistencies and confidence levels. It must take a lot of practice to do that, and he explained how if you're trying to tag a train or a track between trains, then you've got to do everything quickly. His wife drew too - she said she tended to use wax pastels, which I've not used much (I did try pastels once when I did life drawing classes 18 years ago, but never developed them). So we had a chat about that.

In this case, it was me who came away with an extra drawing in my pad - his version of my name, and his tag on the outline sketch I'd done of him and his wife and their friend at the bar. And he seemed happy that I had both spotted his signature on the chalk board, and appreciated what he could do (which was a lot better than what I can do, yet).

So I suppose the general idea is that drawing can make people happy, and (unexpectedly) it turns out that drawing in bars is a good short-cut if you need a boost... although it might not work if you're doing it deliberately to try to do so, and you'd probably need to try it in a place where people are friendly and don't mind if they spot you trying to sketch them...
Old 27 June 2018, 02:38 PM

Yay, Richard W! Artists encouraging artists is always a good thing!

I don't draw, so my experience of pursuing my art in bars is a bit different.

If one thinks graffiti is easy, try doing it while hanging upside down over the side of a bridge while listening to the sound of approaching sirens. I, er, uhm, heard about that from a friend. He also told me that particular piece of art stayed around for several years.

Photo "I meant for that 'S' to be backwards. It's what made it art." Bob
Old 28 June 2018, 12:35 AM

Thanks to a very generous gift from the family of a graduating special ed. student, my whole family got to see Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! at the Shubert Theatre in NYC today. A fantastic production, and Peters absolutely killed it in the role.
Old 28 June 2018, 01:59 PM

Glasses

Wow. That's an experience I'd've liked to have.

I saw Cher in Vegas, on the day before her 72nd birthday. From the 4th row (but not the center of the row).

Seaboe
Old 28 June 2018, 03:51 PM

I momentarily misread "Cher in Vegas" as "Chevy Vegas" and thought this was the car thread at first... A Vega would be a highly unusual car to see; most of those got sent to the junkyard decades ago. Actually seeing an actual running Vega would be a thing that would make me happy.
Old 28 June 2018, 04:00 PM

Not sure whether the Chevy Vega or the Cher is Vegas would have had more work done.
Old 01 July 2018, 03:41 AM

Icon605

My first car was a Chevy Vega.
My father purchased it in 1979; I don't remember the model year but it was used (or, to be politically correct, pre-owned).
Anyway, it got me through my last two years of high school, four years of University, and numerous trips between Virginia & New York.
I installed a cassette player so I could rock my tunes.
I sold it for $500 in 1986/7.
It was teal with a beige interior.
Many fond memories of that car.