snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 13 April 2018, 04:33 PM

Driver

"Oops, I crashed America, and I just now realized my family is on board. Gotta go!"
Old 14 April 2018, 04:45 AM

Mouse

BoKu, your post makes me think of a GK Chesteron quote that really does seem to describe the GOP.

Quote:
You've got that eternal idiotic idea that if anarchy came it would come from the poor. Why should it? The poor have been rebels, but they have never been anarchists; they have more interest than any one else in there being some decent government. The poor man really has a stake in the country. The rich man hasn't; he can go away to New Guinea in a yacht. The poor have sometimes been objected to being governed badly; the rich have always objected to being governed at all. Aristocrats were always anarchists, as you can see from the barons' wars.
It really is true. About the only objection I have, is the usage of the word "anarchy" or "anarchists." Whether you support their ideology or not, Anarchists are generally opposed to a massive State-imposed hierarchy or any institutionalized -isms that keep people from living their lives as they feel fit, so long as it harms no one else in the process. If a massive societal collapse were to happen, most anarchists will admit that there will be a government of sorts, just on a smaller, more tribal band level, though the various tribes might form loose Iroquois Confederation-style alliances when needed.

Paul Ryan and the GOP, if they are anarchists, they're the nasty soiled variety that has no problem with law and order and institutionalized -isms, so long as they apply to anyone but them. I am in full agreement with the part about how the Poor have objected to being governed badly, but the Rich have always objected to being governed at all.

The part about "They can always sail away to New Guinea on a yacht" is also true. No matter how badly they screw up, Trump and much of the Right will be able to GTFO and start over in another country. Money buys a lot of things, including escape hatches. They'll escape and everyone else will be left to clean up the mess they left behind. Heck, what I just said, is a pretty good descriptor of Trump's entire career: he shows up, sets up a major con, then skips town with the money, as the entire thing comes crashing down.

Since this cartoon says that Paul Ryan can get paid 84,000 a year once he turns fifty, combined with the wealth he has to his own name, he'll be relatively unscathed by his actions, while we'll be paying for them for decades. We'll also pay to support the same guy who screwed us over.
Old 14 April 2018, 02:58 PM

United States

Mouse, thanks for taking the time to write that. It expresses the situation very well.
Old 18 April 2018, 03:16 AM

Mouse

I wish I could say I was surprised by this, but it turns out that the guy gunning for Paul Ryanís seat, is a NFBSKing Neo-Nazi.

I keep getting told that I should stop labeling the Right as a bunch of sociopathic, bigoted assholes, but if Neo-Nazis keep finding a home in your party, at some point, the GOP will have to take a long, hard look at themselves and ask if this is what their party stands for, is this what theyíre willing to support.

If you donít speak out against an injustice, you are giving tacit approval to said injustice. To the extent that any members of the GOP are speaking out, itís in toothless No True Scotsman denunciations. Admittedly, that is better than nothing, but in terms of problem-solving, itís placing a bandaid on a limb that has gone black from gangrene. Just as if you donít amputate the gangrenous limb, the patient dies, if the GOP doesnít take a good, hard look at itself, and start retooling the philosophy governing the party, while flat-out refusing to let Neo-Nazis have any power or influence in the party, the GOP will die.

As Iíve said before, even if youíre claiming more noble, more enlightened reasons for charging with a raging, stinking mob full of assholes, youíre still charging with a raging, stinking mob full of assholes.
Old 18 April 2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
if the GOP doesnít take a good, hard look at itself, and start retooling the philosophy governing the party, while flat-out refusing to let Neo-Nazis have any power or influence in the party, the GOP will die.
I used to believe that too. There was no way that the GOP could run a person as offensive as Trump for president and win. They were sure to lose the Presidency, and probably the House and Senate too. Remember those innocent days of 2016? Now...well, it is working well for them, maybe they should just double-down on being offensive. Embrace the Nazi, call for slavery for everyone who gets welfare (but exempting corporate welfare and cash to farmers and Republicans who just need money for a while but really are not getting WELFARE welfare, since they are good people). It might just work!
Old 18 April 2018, 01:46 PM

I used to think that someone like Trump could never get into office here in Ontario. Ah, youth. Now if the polls are anything to go by we're poised to elect a former drug dealer who until now was best known as being his brother's goon and for using his municipal ties to enrich himself. I hate that the Conservatives put him in this position in the first place. That they apparently looked South and said "yeah, here's an idea...."
Old 18 April 2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I used to think that someone like Trump could never get into office here in Ontario. Ah, youth. Now if the polls are anything to go by we're poised to elect a former drug dealer who until now was best known as being his brother's goon and for using his municipal ties to enrich himself. I hate that the Conservatives put him in this position in the first place. That they apparently looked South and said "yeah, here's an idea...."
I get a little queasy when I contemplate it. I'm hoping once the campaign ramps up, people outside of Toronto will start to see the genuine corrupt a-hole Doug Ford, but I'm truly frightened that he will win. And win a majority.
Old 19 April 2018, 02:12 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
I used to believe that too. There was no way that the GOP could run a person as offensive as Trump for president and win. They were sure to lose the Presidency, and probably the House and Senate too. Remember those innocent days of 2016? Now...well, it is working well for them, maybe they should just double-down on being offensive. Embrace the Nazi, call for slavery for everyone who gets welfare (but exempting corporate welfare and cash to farmers and Republicans who just need money for a while but really are not getting WELFARE welfare, since they are good people). It might just work!
I assumed Trump was running for publicity purposes that heíd last a bit, then drop out after heíd received the press he wanted. After all, there is some cachet in being a candidate for the presidency, even if they didnít have a snowballís chance in Hell of winning.

I was wrong.

I wasnít so naive as to believe that electing Obama solved racism forever, but I thought it was a momentous achievement that would open doors to other candidates of color. In doing so, maybe we could start dismantling our grotesque War on Drugs which only succeeded in filling prisons with PoC and the poor. Again, I was wrong.

In his book, We Were Eight Years in Power, Ta-Nehisi Coates talked about how he considered Obamaís presidency to be a great accomplishment, but as it wore on, he got the sense that White People, to paraphrase, knew that the bill was coming and had every intention of skipping out, rather than paying.

He also parallels Obamaís eight years with the eight years that made up Reconstruction after the Civil War, and there admittedly are some parallels. Reconstruction wasnít a paradise for Blacks, but for the first time in years, massive injustices were being addressed, Blacks were gaining the Rights long due to them, and were almost starting to dream of an even grander future. Then Rutherford Hayes pulled US troops out of the South, as part of an underhanded deal to win the presidency (like Al Gore and Hillary Clinton, his opponent won the popular vote) and almost overnight, all the Rights that Black People had gained, were stripped away and they underwent decades of Jim Crow.

It seems a reoccurring meme in American history: major achievements in Civil Rights regarding PoC, are almost invariably quickly overturned. While I doubt that the eight years parallel quite fits with the Civil Rights Movements of the 50s and 60s, the underlying idea is similar. After years of fighting, marching, and protesting, Black People were enjoying greater Rights and Freedoms than they had before. Then we get the War on Drugs, mass incarceration, the Crack epidemic. Slowly but surely, these gains were taken away, all of it culminating in Citizens United and Donald Trump.

I wish I could think of a snarky joke or whatever to end on, but really my response is variations on . Donít give me the ďNot all Rightwing people!Ē defense. Just donít.
Old 19 April 2018, 09:49 AM

Trump has proved that hate and fear of the "Other" will get you about 40% of the electorate and with gerrymandering, voter suppression and the electoral college that is enough. Whatever people are saying about a "blue wave" I fear you have him for 8, and Pence for the next 8 years.
Old 20 April 2018, 12:35 AM

Mouse

You may be right, gopher, but no matter what, let us go down fighting. It must never be forgotten that Trump lost the Popular Vote. The majority wanted Hillary, which is a reason to hope. It also serves as another example regarding many (Rutherford Hayes, George W. Bush, Trump) as to why the Electoral College sucks and should be gotten rid of. It's a profoundly undemocratic anachronism, a leftover from the Founding Fathers who believed that the vote belong only to Rich, White Men.

Though I have to admit, sometimes I amuse myself by picturing an alternate reality where Trump won the popular vote, but lost the Electoral College. Just how much would the Right lose their collective shit if that had happened?

Though seriously, never forget that Hillary won the popular vote and never stop reminding Trump of that. We should fight Trump in big ways, but also in small ways, or to use the words of the Immortal Samantha Bee: Keep Pissing Trump Off. It is somewhat petty, but it is a good tactic. Few things piss off a strongman more than being mocked and turned into a joke, anything that shows that beneath all the bravado, lies a frightened, pathetic excuse for a human being.

We already know that Trump is so thinned-skinned as to be translucent, so this strategy has merit. For all his posturing, we've seen ample proof that Trump can't bear the slightest of criticisms; every word burrows like a tick beneath his skin and invariably, he throws a tantrum. Time spent throwing tantrums, is time he can't spend running roughshod over Rights and lives of others.

And since his tantrums are so over-the-top, they invariably attract media attention, which forces someone in his administration to come forward and explain how Trump's hissyfit is actually the brave action of a brave man. So we'll also be keeping them busy from running over the Rights and lives of others as well.

Though I have to admit that I didn't think Trump would last this long. I thought once he realized that he's not God Emperor Trump and this job requires actual work, he would quit and maybe break William Henry Harrison's record for shortest tenure. William Henry Harrison can't escape the "First to Die in Office" record, but there's still hope regarding the "Shortest Tenure" one.

I freely admit that I did this post as a thinly-veiled excuse for a link dump, but I tried to make it worth your time. Also wanted to write another post, because I'm embarrassed by a mistake in the previous one. I made it sound like Hillary Clinton and Al Gore lost the popular vote, but they, like the Late Charles Tilden, actually won the popular vote, only to be screwed over by underhanded, dirty politicking.

Last thing, before I end this post, an editorial written by Ta-Nehisi Coates: Donald Trump is the First White President. He does have a point. Trump has no identity outside his whiteness. People keep being shocked, shocked that Trump's a massive racist, but his campaign centered around one idea: certain people qualify as humans and deserve Rights. It doesn't take long to figure out which people qualify and which don't.