snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06 April 2018, 05:39 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,054
Default Pauline Hanson: still a racist moron

White Pride Alert!…also, what are “aboriginals”?

For context: apparently the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony spent too much time on our traditional owners…never mind that we got Jack Thompson, Delta Goodrem and “You’re The Voice”…
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06 April 2018, 06:30 PM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,102
Default

She's genuinely pretty dumb, she often struggles to form coherent sentences and quite often uses common words incorrectly or doesn't know what they actually mean. Her use of the word "indigenous" here is a good example.

If it were any other politician I'd say that they were deliberately using words ambiguously to put up a smokescreen for most of the population but to send a dogwhistleto the "true believers" at the same time but she's really not smart enough to be that devious.

In a recent interview she was genuinely confused and hurt that politicians from other parties would snub her and not want to be her buddy, she's one of those people who assume that she's a Good Person doing Good Things For The Country and anyone who disagrees with her is trying to undermine her because [reasons]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06 April 2018, 09:44 PM
Skeptic's Avatar
Skeptic Skeptic is offline
 
Join Date: 16 July 2005
Location: Logan, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,798
Default

I have never worked out if Pauline Hansen is actually dumb or vile, or is she a combination of both. She does some really stupid thing to get attention, and seems to be against anyone who is not English-speaking white christian. She campaigned recently against halal food, clearly not knowing anything about it and not realising that it included foods like fruit, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, and eggs, all of which are automatically halal. (This event was all the more funny as she was filmed outside, trying to lean against a fence till she realised it was barbed wire).

Then she started complaining about the amount of "Aboriginals" (wrong word, aboriginal is an adjective), who were participating in the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, while not realising that every country participating had at some time been under the control of the British empire. These ceremonies always feature the indigenous culture prominently.

Australia has got off lightly with regards to bigots in our governments. We have a dozen or so, some countries have hundreds.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07 April 2018, 12:14 AM
RichardM RichardM is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2004
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 4,561
Default

We have one really, really big one and millions of others.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07 April 2018, 04:40 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,662
Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Australia has got off lightly with regards to bigots in our governments. We have a dozen or so, some countries have hundreds.
I don't see what other countries have to do with it. "We're not as bad as others" has never been a compelling statement. It's true for everyone but the very worst.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07 April 2018, 01:56 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,506
Default

"Someone else did something worse" is an excuse I didn't accept from my daughter when she was a child.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07 April 2018, 02:51 PM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,102
Default

I don't think that Skeptic was excusing the bigots we have in parliament or their actions, just noting that this bad situation could have been much worse.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07 April 2018, 02:54 PM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,102
Australia

I should probably add that there's a good chance that we'll have a leadership challenge in a day or two and there's a chance that the current moderate Prime Minister might be replaced by an extreme right winger so the situation might get a LOT worse very soon.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07 April 2018, 03:40 PM
Sue's Avatar
Sue Sue is offline
 
Join Date: 26 December 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,210
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't see what other countries have to do with it. "We're not as bad as others" has never been a compelling statement. It's true for everyone but the very worst.
I see your argument but in the context of a country electing officials I think it's a valid point to make. Canada, as an example, is hardly exempt from racism and our own version of "Make Canada White again" but I stand with Skeptic when I say as least our elected officials spouting these beliefs are not numerous - we have indeed gotten off lightly (recently) but we need to be vigilant, in part because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I should probably add that there's a good chance that we'll have a leadership challenge in a day or two and there's a chance that the current moderate Prime Minister might be replaced by an extreme right winger so the situation might get a LOT worse very soon.
Here it's not at the national level that there is concern (yet) but provincially we are heading into an election with a very unpopular liberal who is currently Premier and the person chosen to lead the Conservative party is :sigh: Doug Ford. Someone who appeals to the same kinds of people who voted Trump in in the US.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10 April 2018, 02:35 AM
Dasla's Avatar
Dasla Dasla is offline
 
Join Date: 15 April 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
I have never worked out if Pauline Hansen is actually dumb or vile, or is she a combination of both.

She also jumped on the "Vaccines are BAD!!" bandwagon. Briefly, I think. I don't know if she got off that idea because she realised it was bs or because she discovered that is a more looney left idea and not a looney right idea.

I think that people that have a looney idea they want pushed contact her cause they think she is their women. Because she has pushed some nutty ones.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10 April 2018, 11:26 AM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
She also jumped on the "Vaccines are BAD!!" bandwagon. Briefly, I think. I don't know if she got off that idea because she realised it was bs or because she discovered that is a more looney left idea and not a looney right idea.

I think that people that have a looney idea they want pushed contact her cause they think she is their women. Because she has pushed some nutty ones.
Surprisingly enough, she also supports reforming cannabis law.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10 April 2018, 04:04 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 26,378
Default

Not really that surprising, legalization of marijuana is supported by both people on the left and people on the right. The left generally sees it as punishing people for something relatively harmless with less societal costs than other legal things like alcohol. The right (I know this was the position of libertarians) sometimes put it in the context of reducing governmental interference.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open season on Pauline Hanson in tonight's Q&A Jusenkyo no Pikachu Moot Court 5 19 July 2016 11:34 AM
Racist homework snopes Fauxtography 9 21 November 2014 10:21 PM
Even Typos Are A Little Bit Racist Esprise Me Soapbox Derby 0 18 April 2014 07:10 AM
Computers are Racist Jenn Fauxtography 4 13 August 2009 07:41 AM
8 Racist Words You Use Every Day Altered Statesman Language 43 25 January 2009 02:18 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.