snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 18 June 2018, 02:04 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I don't know about other places back back when I was working at a public library we had casual Friday's where we wore jeans but for the privilege of doing that we all made a donation to a charity - I don't remember now which one we chose but AFAIK this is a pretty common fundraiser. It may not bring in a ton of money but every little helps. I would not be surprised if, at least in workplaces anyway, something similar is being done when everyone is encouraged to wear a specific colour on a specific day.
Maybe I'm just a curmudgeon, but I am really against stuff like this. If a particular mode of dress (or, God help us, a particular color) is appropriate at work, then it's appropriate. I will not pay for the "privilege" of wearing it, even if the money goes to a good cause. If I want to show people I care about a cause and gave money I can wear a pin or ribbon or sticker.

I'm also not a big fan of Casual Friday without paying for it, but go along with it because it points out the hypocrisy of dress codes in general.

Chas"HippieTreehugger"Fink
Old 18 June 2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I'm also not a big fan of Casual Friday without paying for it, but go along with it because it points out the hypocrisy of dress codes in general.

Chas"HippieTreehugger"Fink
I don't have a problem with dress codes as long as they are fairly applied. I've worked places though, some thankfully in the dim and distant past, where there was definitely a rule for men and a rule for women which meant men could be a lot more comfortable at work than I could and this was in the days when men wore suits and ties to work!

It's reaching a point now though where when I see a man in a suit I assume he's going for a job interview or he's the POTUS. Well I exaggerate, but I do wonder sometimes how those suit companie like Moore's and Tip Top Tailor stay in business!
Old 18 June 2018, 02:58 PM

On another somewhat tenuously related topic of annoyance - I consider myself retired. I will occasionally pick up a short term contract if it's interesting but I'm at a point now where due to health and family issues and just plain wanting it this way I am no longer looking for a permanent full-time job. My friends know this and yet every time they see an advertisement for anything remotely library related they send me a link. When I tell them "thanks but no thanks" I get the "oh but you'd be perfect for this job" comments. First, no, no I wouldn't, just because the word library is in the advert somewhere that doesn't mean anyone with a background in library work can do that job (that's an annoyance for another day) . But second, and most importantly, I am not looking for a full-time job!!! The attitude that I say I'm not but I really am makes it seem like you think I'm lying. I'm really not and if I dwell on this I could get more than just a little annoyed!

Last edited by Sue; 18 June 2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 18 June 2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
And if you encourage people to wear a certain colour to the office that day it will make them feel involved and engaged with the issue which might nudge them towards donating a little more than they may have done.
Does it, though? Or does it make them feel 'OK, I've Done Something; now I don't need to do anything else'?

That's a serious question. Is there any evidence, one way or the other, whether wear-this-color promotions increase donations and/or volunteering to do something practical and/or voting differently?

Quote:
That's it exactly. No one, or almost no one is saying "wear pink for the cure" they're saying "wear pink for awareness" - it's not the same thing. Here for a long time we were encouraged to wear red on Fridays as a way of supporting our troops. It was a visual way of saying "we're proud of you - we're thinking of you".
It can get complicated, though.

For some people, 'supporting our troops' means exactly that: we should help them get what they need, both while on duty and afterwards, in the form not only of proper equipment but also of treatment for physical and mental damage incurred on the job, and support if work's not available when they get back. Very few people have a problem with that one, though a lot of people seem to have trouble voting money for it; let alone for housing and treatment centers if those are to be in their own neighborhoods.

For other people, 'supporting our troops' seems to be code for 'supporting whatever the current administration is telling them to do.' Lots of people (though not the same ones at all times) have a problem with that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Alia View Post
As a teacher, when I wear a color for certain days it's for my students. So wearing orange on Unity day- or more recently orange for gun control- I'm telling my kids I care about their safety.
That one does seem to me to make sense. You're not just making a visual noise about people in general; you're making a specific one about the people in the room with you.

I think there can be other circumstances when it makes sense -- though it's difficult to tell if a person seen, for instance, in the grocery store wearing a particular color shirt is doing so for such reasons, or if it was just the only clean shirt they had, or if they even had any idea that the color was supposed to mean anything at all.
Old 18 June 2018, 03:27 PM

Honestly, I don't think there is a minimum standard for actions to show support. If someone wears say beige to support people with boils, and that's all they do, its not like if they didn't wear the color they would be donating to the united boil fund. Its a minimal effort, but can't one feel empathy alone? Does that make it cease to be empathy?

While I might roll my eyes at someone who seems to be wearing whatever the color of they day is, everyday, most people I come across don't do this. They might have one or a few causes that they do support. And nobody know what else those people might do, beyond wearing a color.

I look at it this way; Wearing beige for boils might have questionable impact on the boil epidemic, but giving someone shit for wearing beige and not doing anything else that you can see, has zero impact on the cause and probably a negative impact.
Old 18 June 2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post

I look at it this way; Wearing beige for boils might have questionable impact on the boil epidemic, but giving someone shit for wearing beige and not doing anything else that you can see, has zero impact on the cause and probably a negative impact.
Unless the people sneering "slackivist" are actually doing something tangible themselves it also strikes me that sneering "slacktivist" is a pretty slacktivist thing to do. Unless you are actually donating to the cause or are down in the trenches contributing in other ways all you're really doing is feeling superior about something that's actually none of your business.
Old 18 June 2018, 03:45 PM

Glasses

I'm trying to make a filet crochet curtain. I got almost 1/2 done then measured it against the window it's to fill, and found it only went about 1/3 of the way up the window. So I ripped it all out and revised the pattern to make it longer.

Seaboe
Old 18 June 2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
giving someone shit for wearing beige and not doing anything else that you can see, has zero impact on the cause and probably a negative impact.
I don't think I'm doing that, though; or that others here who are dubious about some of the color-wearing are doing that.

We're not -- or at least I'm not -- going up to people wearing the Color of the Day and demanding to know what else they're doing, or berating them for doing that. Asking [ETA: on a message board, or possibly of the organizers; not of random people wearing whatever] whether there's evidence that it actually helps is not the same thing. Neither is asking whether such campaigns, if repeated over and over at places of business, can result in annoyance instead of beneficial attention; or whether the time, energy, and very often considerable throw-away materials used in them are benefiting anybody other than possibly the makers of those materials.
Old 18 June 2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
It's reaching a point now though where when I see a man in a suit I assume he's going for a job interview or he's the POTUS. Well I exaggerate, but I do wonder sometimes how those suit companie like Moore's and Tip Top Tailor stay in business!
If I see a man in a suit, I usually assume he's a Mormon.
Old 18 June 2018, 05:55 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I live in a government town so to be fair it's not like there aren't men in suits around but if a man comes to my front door wearing a suit I agree with you I'm probably going to assume he's a Mormon. Politician or Mormon he's not getting in my house!
Old 18 June 2018, 05:57 PM

If he's in a beige suit, I assume he's a Mormon who's really into helping people with boils.
Old 18 June 2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Maybe its the heat, but I've never seen a Mormon in a suit where a member of any other religion (or no religion) would not also be wearing a suit.

Now if I see two young men in white shirts with skinny black ties...
Old 18 June 2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Maybe its the heat, but I've never seen a Mormon in a suit where a member of any other religion (or no religion) would not also be wearing a suit.

Around here I sometimes see what I assume are Mormons riding around on bicycles while wearing black slacks, white short-sleeve dress shirts, and ties.
Old 18 June 2018, 07:38 PM

Glasses

When my allergist retired, I didn't get any notice. How come, now that his successor (whom I saw exactly once) is leaving to take a job in a lab, you've sent me an announcement that he's retiring? First off, he's not retiring; second, I don't care.

Seaboe
Old 18 June 2018, 07:49 PM

Old-order Mennonites around here wear suits (the males, that is) when they're going somewhere they don't think farm field clothes are appropriate.

I do also occasionally see suits on other people; more commonly at weddings or funerals or in the vicinity of the courthouse, but also in other places. It is however an overall pretty casual area. -- I was once at a meeting providing training to planning board members at which one of the presenters was a woman who had come out from Albany. She apologized for being slightly late, and gave as explanation that she'd been having trouble getting her proper shoes on to come to such a meeting, because she'd hurt her foot and had been otherwise mostly wearing sneakers to fit over the swelling.

There was a distinct sound all over the meeting room as all the other attendees moved our feet around and looked down at our own shoes and those of our neighbors. Almost everyone in the room was wearing either work boots or sneakers.
Old 19 June 2018, 01:27 AM

Icon215

Quote:

The Mormons that I see generally have badges identifying them as such.

An on a tangentially-related note, I've never had Mormons come to my door, even though I live in the area where the church was founded.
Old 19 June 2018, 01:42 AM

I cut my thumb trying to slice an exceptionally slippery mango, and the mango didn't even taste all that good.
Old 19 June 2018, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
An on a tangentially-related note, I've never had Mormons come to my door, even though I live in the area where the church was founded.
Wasn't Joseph Smith persona non grata in that area?
Old 19 June 2018, 01:12 PM

Icon22

Quote:

Saw a couple of Mormons on my street this past Sunday evening while walking Pearl. I was surprised because my street is Jehovah's Witness Territory! I know one thing: if the police are ever called for an altercation on my street, I'll know it's a turf war!
Old 19 June 2018, 03:26 PM

Come to think of it I don't know that we've ever had a Mormon come to the door. Definitely get Jehovah Witnesses - although even with that it's not the way it once was. You could almost count on it being a JW if someone rang your doorbell on a Saturday morning. The Mormons I see (well I assume they're Mormons) are usually downtown walking in pairs. Do they give out leaflets or something to people on the street? Or perhaps they organize rallies...
Closed Thread