snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 12 December 2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
We hand friends over on Saturday to do our annual backing and decorating of Christmas cookies. Here are some of the results.
Definitely the eyes have it.

(According to this article
Quote:
The title is from the parliamentary procedure used by the chairman announcing either "The Ayes have it"...
Old 12 December 2017, 11:06 PM

Icon402

A friend of mine is a pro-wrestler and he's got a "Four Corners of Hell" match this weekend which will involved barbed wire, thumb tacks and a bed of nails. He's been working on making the bed of nails all this week and I've been nagging him to make sure that he drilled all the 1350 holes for the nails precisely so that the nails all lined up properly and their points were at an even height. He just posted a Facebook video closeup of the nails and they're pretty crooked, which means he won't be able to distribute his weight over them evenly (which is the entire basis of doing the stunt safely). He tried it out and reports that it's a bit more "stabby" than he would have liked but it's too late to change it.

This is going to get messy ...
Old 13 December 2017, 05:54 AM

Mouse

Ha ha ha I just saw my next door neighbour and said "Hey sorry about all the rats yesterday" and told her about all the rats that I chased out of my yard and how they went scampering over the fence into her yard. She was not impressed.
Old 13 December 2017, 03:14 PM

My nose has apparently stopped running, but I'm getting the tickle in my throat that indicates a cough is coming. This has been the weirdest cold. I never got a sore throat. The runny nose stopped running for a day, then started up again. I was feverish for three days, but not the first three days. While I feel much better today, I'm more easily tired than I was over the weekend.

Just--go away, you stupid virus.

On a happier note, I saw my brother last night (he's come up to go skiing with my sister and BIL) and gave him the socks I bought on impulse. They have various types of beer glasses (filled, of course) all over them.

Oh, and On the Fastrack this morning (12-13) made me think of our Havoc Through the Snow thread.

Seaboe
Old 14 December 2017, 01:38 PM

Whalephant

I had a woman call up to ask what we showed for her final bill-she'd checked out a few days previously. I told her and it matched her receipt. Then she asked how come when she made the reservation she was told X $ a night for a total of $ X.XX and her receipt showed different nightly rates but the same total.

I explained that it was because she'd stayed 2 weekend nights and one non-weekend night they'd simply added the three nights together, divided by 3 and used that as the nightly rate.

Her: There's something fishy about this.
Me: But the totals are the same.
Her: Yes, but there's something fishy going on.
Me: But the amount you paid is exactly what you were quoted.
Her: Yes. But the nightly rate is different. You're doing something suspicious. I have a good mind to call the cops on you.
Me:
Her: *more accusations*
Me: But ma'am...
Her: You're no use. Get me your hotel manager.
Me: It's 4 AM. He isn't here.
Her: Then put me through to his voice mail.
Me: Yes ma'am.

My head hurts.
Old 14 December 2017, 02:10 PM

I am an experienced and IMO very skilled business writer, and and today I wrote one sentence that was just about the most challenging of my career. It was about a very sensitive matter, so sensitive that I can't fully explain its significance, or describe the nature of the complexity, to anyone but a handful of my co-workers.

ETA: Short, non-work-appropriate version: Someone screwed up, it caused big problems, we're trying to prevent it from happening again, and we need an estimate from another area of IT. I had to convey the urgency and importance of fixing the problem without providing any details, or even acknowledging that it was due to human error.
Old 14 December 2017, 04:07 PM

This morning I turned on my car and heard NPR say "PBS has put Smiley on suspension due to the sexual misconduct allegations." The first thought I had was that now Muppets are getting in trouble, but it turns out it was some other guy. That reassured me quite a bit.
Old 14 December 2017, 05:25 PM

You'd think Animal would be the one to get in trouble for sexual harassment.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew would be in trouble with OSHA of course and the Swedish Chef might have health board violations.
Old 14 December 2017, 07:28 PM

Getting Christmas letters from family (or ex family) members you haven't seen in years. Every year, we get a letter from my dad's aunt and uncle and my uncle's (my dad's brother) ex-wife. I have never really been close to my dad's side of the family for some reason, besides my grandma and grandpa and they both have passed away. So it is kind of weird getting letters from people that you hardly know, and about the only time you see them is at a funeral. It is nice that they thought of us. But can't they send a card without the letter?
Old 14 December 2017, 09:08 PM

Probably not, but you can without violating etiquette.
Old 15 December 2017, 03:58 AM

My dad is in the hospital, getting treated for a very treatable condition. Logically I know that, while this sucks, it's not a reason to freak out. This doesn't stop my brain from ramping up the anxiety to near panic-attack levels every time my phone beeps.

The thing is, I'm allowed to keep my phone with me at work (I'm a security officer in a museum) but I can't actually check my messages or anything until I'm on break. So I'll see that I got a text or voicemail, then spend the next two hours or however long until my break concocting increasingly horrible worst case scenarios. Then I go on break and find out it's just a voicemail from a telemarketer or whatever. It's driving me a little crazy.

Part of the problem is that I've had multiple experiences where someone I loved got sick, I was repeatedly assured that it was a minor and/or treatable issue, and then the health problem escalated until the person I loved died. So I am very jumpy about this kind of thing.
Old 15 December 2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruca View Post
The thing is, I'm allowed to keep my phone with me at work (I'm a security officer in a museum) but I can't actually check my messages or anything until I'm on break. So I'll see that I got a text or voicemail, then spend the next two hours or however long until my break concocting increasingly horrible worst case scenarios. Then I go on break and find out it's just a voicemail from a telemarketer or whatever. It's driving me a little crazy.
I was in the Vatican Museum's a week or so ago and the guards were on their phones about 100% of the time. Given that there is at least one guard per room, the Vatican must have a pretty good cell and wireless data system just for the guards.

Never saw a Swiss guard with a cell phone though.
Old 15 December 2017, 10:07 PM

Wish I worked at the Vatican museum, then. Here, it's a three day suspension if you're caught messing with your phone while on the clock.
Old 16 December 2017, 12:01 AM

I was passing a really innocent evening with my mother and stepfather watching Animal Planet - I think I am not returning to my BE job but we'll see -when all of a sudden one of the vets on Animal ER looked like me and my stepdad burst out "she is GORGEOUS! She looks just like Jess (me)! I'd **** her in heartbeat!" I melted into my seat, my mom got all flustered and my husband considered real estate on Mars.

Do I just let it go? I think he was trying to pay me a compliment but it was...weird. He has never treated me inappropriately but we're all like... how do you have a conversation with THAT elephant in the room?

Most of me wants to consider this a hilarious slip of the tongue, but my mom and husband are really uncomfortable.
Old 16 December 2017, 07:32 AM

Veruca, can you leave your phone in your locker? No use to be alerted to messages you can't read anyway. Leave it in your locker and go check it on your break.
Old 16 December 2017, 12:11 PM

It turns out he had a ministroke. His behavior was so uncharacteristic (it got worse, past the laughing off point) we took him to the hospital. Whatever deity, stop with the strokes.
Old 16 December 2017, 12:44 PM

Don Erico - That's a good idea, thanks. I would just need to invest in a watch first. I mostly keep my phone with me so I can check the time.

The good news is that my dad is feeling much better and may be coming home from the hospital today. Yay!
Old 16 December 2017, 02:59 PM

Icon402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
A friend of mine is a pro-wrestler and he's got a "Four Corners of Hell" match this weekend which will involved barbed wire, thumb tacks and a bed of nails. He's been working on making the bed of nails all this week and I've been nagging him to make sure that he drilled all the 1350 holes for the nails precisely so that the nails all lined up properly and their points were at an even height. He just posted a Facebook video closeup of the nails and they're pretty crooked, which means he won't be able to distribute his weight over them evenly (which is the entire basis of doing the stunt safely). He tried it out and reports that it's a bit more "stabby" than he would have liked but it's too late to change it.

This is going to get messy ...
Update: he ended up covered in blood but that was mostly from the barbed wire (at one point he actually dove into the board the wire was attached to and smashed it) and from the other wrestler hitting him with a cricket bat wrapped in barbed wire. He also got slammed bare back onto a whole pile of thumb tacks several times.

He finished the match by lying on the bed of nails and the other wrestler put a cinder block on his chest and smashed it with a sledge hammer. Everyone else in the venue seemed to love that but I've seen high school science teachers do the exact same thing to demonstrate displaced pressure and Newton's first law of inertia so I knew it was actually a fairly low risk maneuver (the biggest risk was getting chips from the broken cinder block in his eyes, or the other guy missing and accidentally hitting him with the sledge hammer).

I'm disappointed that my science-knowing stopped me from enjoying the match as much as everyone else.
Old 16 December 2017, 03:19 PM

I will let Catbug do the talking for me...

Old 16 December 2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
Whatever deity, stop with the strokes.
My grandmother had a stroke last Sunday and subsequently has agreed to move into a nursing home, something she has said she will never do.

My dad convinced her she shouldn't walk into traffic - it wouldn't be fair to the driver of the vehicle.