snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 18 June 2018, 05:07 PM

Default Erm…something about Anita Sarkeesian scamming you or something?

It’s Thunderf00t. He might Science, but it seems he can’t English…or argue. I’d post something reputable, but I got nothing. Seriously, it’s like all the reputable sites know what a pledge drive is (I’m guessing Shaun can come up with something? He’s deconstructed Phil’s stuff before). And that Feminist Frequency is not just a bunch of people with a camera, microphone and Adobe’s product line.

Also, I turned it off when I realised he really had nothing to say about fundraising, but apparently Phil then goes off on something about Jordan Peterson (the lobster hierarchy guy). Is there anyone willing enough to even try to sum up what he says there?
Old 18 June 2018, 05:18 PM

Are we supposed to know who this person is? Because I don't.
Old 18 June 2018, 05:22 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Sarkeesian
Anita Sarkeesian is a Canadian-American feminist media critic, blogger, and public speaker. She is the founder of Feminist Frequency, a website that hosts ...

Not sure who made the YouTube video cited though. I think Jusenkyo no Pikachu is up past his bedtime.
Old 18 June 2018, 05:35 PM

Thunderf00t is a YouTube atheist personality known for his low-end anti-creationist videos and also for being a raging Islamophobe, misogynist, and Gamergater. He was briefly a contributor at Free Thoughts Blog before being axed after repeatedly posting some pretty vile stuff.

Basically not someone who's views are worth paying any attention to.
Old 18 June 2018, 06:05 PM

I know who Anita Sarkeesian is. It's the YouTube person I don't know anything about. I presume he is not worth my time.
Old 18 June 2018, 06:06 PM

No, he isn't.

~Psihala
Old 18 June 2018, 06:33 PM

Not remotely.
Old 18 June 2018, 10:02 PM

Okay, I won't even think about it.
Old 19 June 2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I know who Anita Sarkeesian is. It's the YouTube person I don't know anything about. I presume he is not worth my time.
He’s had his 15 minutes. I only used his video because he’s actually one of the more prominent critics…and, well, it’s the first one I saw on the matter. Also, opinionated drivel like this is quick to produce, which means that I need to navigate Google just to get the other side. In fact, I just checked the @femfreq twitter feed and the pledge drive comments were hijacked by “Discord is free!”
Old 20 June 2018, 03:22 AM

Mouse

I freely admit that I have only watched a few of Anita’s videos, because video games aren’t something I’m really into, but the GG-ers have so poisoned the well that I’m forced to side with Anita out of spite. I’ve heard that there might be legitimate criticisms to be made about her video games series—like she cribs from Let’s Plays—but again, the GG-ers force me to side with her just because.

Though given that Anita Sarkeesian’s feminism, as presented in the videos, is pretty much the standard boilerplate kind agreed upon by most feminists, I often wonder what would happen if we directed all of them, GG-ers, antis, alt-Right, and MRAs, towards someone really radical like Andrea Dworkin.
Old 21 June 2018, 10:02 PM

I suspect it would tear a hole in the fabric of space-time.

Although I suspect that none of them have a clue as to what feminism really is, and just want to be butthurt.
Old 22 June 2018, 12:21 AM

They would probably just announce loudly that everything on the furthest edge of what Andrea Dworkin ever said is exactly what every feminist, everywhere on the planet, at every time the word's ever been used, believes and wants to enforce.
Old 22 June 2018, 03:43 AM

Mouse

For all the movement accomplished, I find myself wondering if the antis didn’t ultimately win the debate, since feminists have to constantly define the basic name of our movement and explain over and over that we are not out to enslave men, and blah-blah-blah. We have explained this many many times, yet these stupid stereotypes endure, making you wonder who exactly we’re explaining this for. I’ve more or less come to believe, regarding most social movements, that while debates and conversions are nice, it’s more important to focus on action, protesting and getting legislation passed.
Old 22 June 2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
They would probably just announce loudly that everything on the furthest edge of what Andrea Dworkin ever said is exactly what every feminist, everywhere on the planet, at every time the word's ever been used, believes and wants to enforce.
What do you mean "probably?" They do that on a regular basis.
Old 22 June 2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
For all the movement accomplished, I find myself wondering if the antis didn’t ultimately win the debate
I think you're mistaking 'having to keep having the same fight over and over for centuries' for 'having lost that fight'.

The first one, unfortunately, is just the way the species is. But it's far from the same as the second. And the fight is not always on the same ground.
Old 23 June 2018, 06:58 AM

Anita tweeted about other accusations today.