snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 27 November 2018, 12:02 PM

It makes me. Read them. In William Shatner's. Voice/
Old 27 November 2018, 02:29 PM

Shouldn't it. Also include quotation. Marks. Used for. "Emphasis".
Old 27 November 2018, 03:07 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
It makes me. Read them. In William Shatner's. Voice/
She packed my bags. Last night, pre-flight. Zero hour. Nine AM.
Old 27 November 2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Shouldn't it. Also include quotation. Marks. Used for. "Emphasis".
Depends on what. You mean. By "emphasis."
Old 27 November 2018, 11:37 PM

And don't forget. Extraneou's. Apostrophe's.
Old 28 November 2018, 05:14 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
That's the meme, but it doesn't appear to be reality. Except for 2007 and 2009, inflation adjusted charitable conttributions have consistently gone up for the past 30 years.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ind...t.view&cpid=42
That may be the case, but the kind of people who invoke the troops in the manner mentioned in the kind memes brought up in this thread, probably aren’t the ones making the donations. Those who invoke the troops as a means of bolstering their arguments against kneeling for the national anthem or improving the lives of the poor, are generally more about symbolic gestures and platitudes than anything else. They’re the type who slash funding to programs for veterans’ healthcare and when VA hospitals deteriorate to horrible conditions as a result, they use it as proof that government healthcare doesn’t work.
Old 09 December 2018, 05:27 PM

Lucy Van Pelt: "Liberal scientists claim that climate change is real."
Linus: "They can't even tell boys from girls."
Old 09 December 2018, 06:14 PM

Charles Schultz is rolling in his grave.
Old 10 December 2018, 12:30 AM

Exactly what I thought.
Old 10 December 2018, 02:47 AM

Mouse

Agreed. Linus was continually shown to be the kindest, most compassionate character in the strip. Having him hijacked and used to parrot Rightwing talking points...look in all honesty, if you’re going to say something, just say it. Using cartoon characters adds nothing to your arguments, the exception being The Minions because at least, it serves as a warning sign telling anyone unfortunate enough to stumble onto it. Nothing good comes of a Minions meme, so you can click or scroll down without missing anything.
Old 10 December 2018, 03:25 AM

Schultz was also strongly pro-science, so having his characters used to shill anti-science garbage would have been anathema to him.
Old 11 December 2018, 07:53 PM

"If you think Charlie Brown, Rudolph, and Baby It's Cold Outside are offensive, maybe this life isn't for you."

and

"Hey folks, let's all play Baby, It's Cold Outside and irritate the crazies who think it's offensive."
(I give whoever came up with that one .000001 point for not saying "own the libs." I'm sure it had to be tempting.)
Old 12 December 2018, 02:03 AM

The joke's on them: Baby It's Cold Outside is terrible. If they're willing to suffer through one of the most annoying Christmas songs in existence just to stick it to people who don't like the ambiguous implications of drink-spiking then they deserve to endure every crappy line of it.

Maybe we should start telling people we find being given presents offensive just so that they go out of their way to be as offensively generous as possible.
Old 12 December 2018, 03:01 AM

Mouse

It’s worth a shot, Blatherskite. Maybe we could also trick them into improving society by spreading memes like “Libz R triggered!!!1! By ppl taking care of TEH POOR!”

It’s not likely to happen, but it’s nice to fantasize. I still remain disappointed with Obama for not taking advantage of the Right’s kneejerk “Oppose whatever he supports and support whatever he opposes” policy and exploiting it. When your opponent has that glaringly obvious a weakness, you’d be a fool not to. It’d be like if Luke Skywalker shot at everything but that one exhaust port on the Death Star.

Pretty much all popular Christmas music is terrible. Aside from a few gems, the only good Christmas music are the hymns sung in church. There are only twelve Christmas songs and people just keep recording them. Still if I was in a Pick-Your-Poison scenario and it came down to “Baby it’s cold outside” or the NFBSKing “Christmas Shoes,” I would definitely pick “Baby.”

In fact, I would pick just about anything over the “Christmas Shoes,” like, say, being blindfolded, tied to a chair, and kicked down a flight of stairs, being stripped naked, smeared with honey, and left by an anthill at high noon, or...to be honest, the only way I would willingly choose to listen to the “Christmas Shoes” would be if it cured cancer or made my student loan debt disappeared. Even then, I would quibble about it.
Old 12 December 2018, 03:46 AM

Mouse, I wish President Obama had signed an executive order requiring everyone must breath. Just think, the entire Tea Bagger movement would have passed out and we wouldn't have the orange thing today.
Old 12 December 2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
The joke's on them: Baby It's Cold Outside is terrible. If they're willing to suffer through one of the most annoying Christmas songs in existence
And that's why I don't like this song; that back and forth is like nails on a chalkboard.
Old 16 December 2018, 05:33 AM

Mouse

I sometimes wonder if they ever notice how when they go “I’m gonna do X to troll those libs!” the Libs’ response is mostly “Go right ahead.” I don’t like “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” but if someone wanted to sit and listen to the song over and over in the privacy of their home, I don’t care. I can’t hear them playing it and while I may think they have shit taste in music, I’m able to accept that people aren’t identical to me and therefore have different likes/dislikes. In any case, to use the words of Thomas Jefferson, it neither breaks my legs nor picks my pocket.

You’d think the lukewarm reception of their triggerings would take all the fun out of it, but it never seems to do. It’s probably the age-old case of It’s Always Projection on the Right. Since they are the whiniest, most tantrum-prone mothereffers ever, they naturally assume that the other side is just the same as them.
Old 16 December 2018, 06:17 AM

It's like a story I heard about: a girl decided she was going to annoy her sister when they were on a car trip by reading Twilight to her.

The flaw in the strategy was that in order to do so, she had to read Twilight.
Old 24 December 2018, 06:06 PM

"Closing our borders isn't heartless. If I close my door, it doesn't mean I hate the people outside. It means I love the people inside."
Old 02 January 2019, 05:05 PM

“Why is it that statues that have been standing for 100 years are suddenly offensive, and a man walking down the street showing his ass isn’t?”(This person seems to have an obsession with saggy pants; several times, she’s posted “Should towns ban saggy pants?”)

And since the shutdown, at least once a day: “Build the Wall!”