snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 09 February 2011, 06:35 AM

Icon106 Palin says she'd deport Christina Aguilera for botching the national anthem

Quote:
Potential 2012 presidential candidate Sarah Palin says that if she were president, she would deport pop star Christina Aguilera for botching a portion of The Star-Spangled Banner during her performance at Super Bowl XLV.
http://current.com/entertainment/com...nal-anthem.htm

I've seen this circulating and getting comments on Facebook, by people who seemed to have missed the words "comedy" at the top and "political satire" at the bottom, so I suspect it will be turning up as 'fact' elsewhere. I was reading it on my mobile phone so I missed the 'comedy' part at first, too, but I grew pretty suspicious at some of the alleged quotes:

Quote:
"Here's another case of an airhead diva going on TV, running her mouth off, sounding like a fool. She doesn't understand something so basic about America, yet we're supposed to tolerate her diva behavior? I'm sure Ms. Aguilera is a very nice person, but I just think the American people deserve better than a demanding beauty queen who's clearly in over her head."
Yes, Sarah Palin is capable of some astoundingly ironic comments, but those were a little over-the-top even for her...
Old 09 February 2011, 01:40 PM

EQ, I wouldn't give Palin that much credit, myself. If it weren't for the disclaimers I'd probably fall for that being true too. I think she's that stupid.

I wouldn't deport Aguilera, but I think it's high time we passed some legislation about murdering songs the way all these songstresses do these days with this profoundly irritating proclivity to put 17 notes where ONE is written. Get over this oversinging crap already. If she hadn't been busy thinking about which 4 octaves she was going to warble back and forth to next all within the same bar of music, she wouldn't have forgotten where she was, which is what happened. I like her and think she has a lovely voice without having to add all that stupid vocal acrobatic crap to it; that's the tragedy. But the girl didn't MEAN to insult the country or anything, jeez. You'd think she burned a flag or something. I'd deport Palin for desecration based on pretty much just her existence before I'd look crosseyed at Aguilera.
Old 10 February 2011, 12:24 PM

Yet another example of how sometimes, parodies are indistinguishable from the real thing.
Old 10 February 2011, 06:23 PM

Default Whoops! Us Weekly Publishes Sarah Palin/Christina Aguilera Spoof as Fact

http://www.gossipcop.com/sarah-palin...ort-deporting/

It seems to have disappeared from the Us Weekly site now. (As it appears GossipCop is a competitor, I suppose it could be a fabrication....)
Old 10 February 2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragonfly View Post
I wouldn't deport Aguilera, but I think it's high time we passed some legislation about murdering songs the way all these songstresses do these days with this profoundly irritating proclivity to put 17 notes where ONE is written.
I blame Whitney Houston's twisting of Dolly Parton's haunting "I Will Always Love You" into a showcase for her pipes. The oversinging thing was around before that, but I don't remember it being nearly as common.
Old 10 February 2011, 08:35 PM

Gratuitous vocal theatrics go back to the 1960's at least; Janis Joplin sometimes strangled a song to death in concert rather than simply sing the notes. However, as far as I know, no one else in pop music was singing that way at the time, so her vocal style was considered somewhat revolutionary (especially for a white woman).

But Christina Aguilera out-Joplined Janis Joplin the other night, and not in a good way.
Old 11 February 2011, 08:04 PM

Appropriately enough, the proper English word for that type of "80 notes in place of one" singing is "melisma", which sounds like some sort of loathesome disease.
Old 11 February 2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I blame Whitney Houston's twisting of Dolly Parton's haunting "I Will Always Love You" into a showcase for her pipes. The oversinging thing was around before that, but I don't remember it being nearly as common.
Mariah Carey was murdering songs on a regular basis long before Whitney. In fact, Christina Aguilera seems to be a direct stylistic descendant of Mariah, so I'm not even sure Houston plays a role at all in this.
Old 11 February 2011, 08:22 PM

Johnny, my recollection was that Houston (if not that song) came first, and wiki backs me up, showing Houston's first album released in 1985, Carey's in 1990.
Old 11 February 2011, 08:26 PM

Wait-- where would she deport Christina Aguilera to? Or does Palin think New York isn't part of the United States? (yes, I know, satire means she didn't actually say it.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Gratuitous vocal theatrics go back to the 1960's at least.
Well, they go back to Billie Holiday, but for Billie Holiday, they worked. I think a lot of people since then think they can out-Billie Holiday Billie Holiday, but, hmmm, elan FAIL.
Old 11 February 2011, 08:37 PM

OK. I just watched a clip of the goof, and there is a sign language interpreter for the song. That's pretty bloody pointless, considering how far away even the closest fans are. Besides, I can tell you with as near certainty as possible that any Deaf people are in the stands going "Chat-chat-chat-- oh, look, someone is singing, the game should start soon-- chat-chat-chat."

Still, I really, really want to know what the interpreter said during the fluff.

I was interpreting once, and the (all white, all US) choir decided to sing a song in Xhosa. Fricking Xhosa. No one bothered to give me a written translation. I just told the Deaf people (and there were some) that it was in an African language, and probably none of the hearing people could understand it (I did not know that for a fact, but they were all white), so they weren't really missing out. I told them it was a slow song, and otherwise described it.

Meanwhile, the Deaf people were going "Chat-chat-chat-- oh, look Rivkah's interpreting now-- chat-chat-chat."
Old 11 February 2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Wait-- where would she deport Christina Aguilera to? Or does Palin think New York isn't part of the United States? (yes, I know, satire means she didn't actually say it.)
Duh, Mexico.
Old 11 February 2011, 09:05 PM

Man, I thought I was the only one that hated that trilling up and down octaves. I'm. so. sick. of. it. I will agree that the blues does lend itself to it and Billie Holiday and Janis Joplin did that stuff, though arguably not every single time and not constantly throughout a song. To my recollection it was Whitney Houston who popularized vocal gymnastics to the point that every damn female singer alive thinks she needs to do it in every song and numerous times within each song. It is a very effective technique when used wisely and rarely. It has been beaten to death and I almost don't care if I ever hear it again. Good god pick a fricken' note and stick with it for a bar or two would ya?

P&LL, Syl'more impressed when a vocalist holds a note for a really long count'vanz
Old 11 February 2011, 09:42 PM

I thing Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey are both partially to blame for this travesty of music that is apparently known as melisma. (Who knew there was a term for that loathsome technique.) Whitney came on the scene before Mariah, but most of Whitney's early stuff, even her ballads, were fairly straightforward. Yes, she over-sang stuff, but the warbling was minimal. Then Mariah came along with horrible shrieking yodel thing she did and Whitney obviously felt some compelling need to compete for her ultimate diva title by out-yodelling her on that Dolly Parton song. So I'd ascribe the trend toward over-singing in general as Whitney Houston's fault, but the melisma trend specifically as the fault of Mariah Carey.

And that brings us to today, with Christina Aguilera forgetting the words to the national anthem because she was too focused on vocal gymnastics to think straight.
Old 11 February 2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Duh, Mexico.
Since when is Staten Island in Mexico?
Old 11 February 2011, 09:50 PM

The intended joke was that Palin thinks everyone with a Latin-sounding name is from Mexico. Basically I was going for the "ha-ha, she's ignorant" trope, which I admit is too easy (and in this case apparently not funny).
Old 11 February 2011, 10:05 PM

I got it and I thought it was funny. Can we please deport Sara somewhere? I'm not all that picky on where as long as there is a complete black out of video or audio news from there. We'd never have to listen to her again. Ah, dreams.
Old 11 February 2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
The intended joke was that Palin thinks everyone with a Latin-sounding name is from Mexico. Basically I was going for the "ha-ha, she's ignorant" trope, which I admit is too easy (and in this case apparently not funny).
Yeah, I got it, Lainie, and I thought it was funny. I wish I was getting some kind of commission on the times my posts are misunderstood.
Old 11 February 2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
OK. I just watched a clip of the goof, and there is a sign language interpreter for the song. That's pretty bloody pointless, considering how far away even the closest fans are.
This is pure speculation, but since it seems they usually have hearing impaired people do it rather than professional interpreters, the performance rather than the interpretation might be more the point. They may have shown her on a portion of the giant screens, though.

Quote:
Still, I really, really want to know what the interpreter said during the fluff.
According to this story she signed the correct lyrics.
Old 11 February 2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
OK. I just watched a clip of the goof, and there is a sign language interpreter for the song. That's pretty bloody pointless, considering how far away even the closest fans are. Besides, I can tell you with as near certainty as possible that any Deaf people are in the stands going "Chat-chat-chat-- oh, look, someone is singing, the game should start soon-- chat-chat-chat."
The film the interpreter and either put him/her up on the jumbotron or over special channels for the deaf.