snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 08 May 2008, 06:13 PM

Airplane Clintons looted, trashed official china aboard Air Force One

I'm having a (mostly) civil debate with one of my conservative friends, and this tidbit came up (we were mostly discussing Obama; I asked him what his opinion was of Sen. Clinton):

Quote:
As far as my opinion of hillary, I remember the fact that she, her husband, and thier staff, trashed and looted the china from air force one, (it took weeks to fix the damage to the plane) and vandalised the white house as they left office. They shouldnt be allowed back. One set of presidential china is enough.
I looked it up online, and on snopes, and on the ULMB, and didn't come up with anything. I found a link with a similar headline (linking to "freerepublic.com...") but the link was broken.

Has anyone heard this before?
Old 08 May 2008, 06:26 PM

It all depends on which story you believe.

One story.

Another.

These only deal with the "vandalism" at the White House, mind you.
Old 08 May 2008, 07:41 PM
Dark Angel Cryo

Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
It all depends on which story you believe.

One story.

Another.

These only deal with the "vandalism" at the White House, mind you.
You are aware of course that www.whitehouse.org is a parody site?
The real white house website if i remember correctly is www.whitehouse.gov

-Dark Angel Cryo
Old 08 May 2008, 07:49 PM

Reporter

Bush himself said it was totally untrue. Think I'll send this link to my friend.

For a lot of his opinions, his source, when I ask him for one, is "I remember hearing..." You'd think I'd be better at debating with him. I don't really declare anything to be untrue, but I just keep asking "where did you read that?" or "can you give me a link to that news story so I can read about it?" and when he can't oblige me, I don't think anything else really needs to be said.
Old 08 May 2008, 08:07 PM

The old "put up or shut up" offense. I love it!
Old 09 May 2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle Up View Post

For a lot of his opinions, his source, when I ask him for one, is "I remember hearing..."
No doubt he really does remember hearing the "The Clintons trashed the White House" story. It made the rounds in the mainstream media for weeks before word got out that it was totally false. It just might be the most vivid illustration ever of how the right wing s**t machine manipulates the mainstream media to its advantage: they fell for it hook, line and sinker and didn't get their facts straight until the damage to the Clintons' reputation was long since done. This is the first time I've heard the Air Force One variation on the story, though. But going by the boy-who-cried-wolf principle, I'm not willing to even entertain the possibility that version might be true.
Old 10 May 2008, 07:06 PM

Bob Herbert repeated part of this story in his op-ed today: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/10/op...10herbert.html

I haven't ever heard the specific "furniture and rugs" part, but considering that the other claims of this nature turned out to be false, it wouldn't surprise me if this one is false as well.
Old 19 May 2008, 12:39 AM
Sly Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Dave View Post
No doubt he really does remember hearing the "The Clintons trashed the White House" story. It made the rounds in the mainstream media for weeks before word got out that it was totally false.
Wait! Are you saying that the Clinton Staffers did not take all the W keys off the typewriters and keyboards? What a downer! I thought that was hilariously clever of them. I guess I should have known better.
Old 19 May 2008, 12:58 AM

Icon108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Dog View Post
Wait! Are you saying that the Clinton Staffers did not take all the W keys off the typewriters and keyboards? What a downer! I thought that was hilariously clever of them. I guess I should have known better.
I don't doubt that some of the outgoing staffers might have engaged in some (childish) pranks like pulling 'W' keys off of keyboards, but the news accounts of the time made it sound like they had thoroughly vandalized and trashed the place. The pictures that came out (well) afterwards showed that it looked not much different than a typical recently-vacated office/living space, with the usual attendant mess and clutter of stuff displaced and left behind.

- snopes
Old 19 May 2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I don't doubt that some of the outgoing staffers might have engaged in some (childish) pranks like pulling 'W' keys off of keyboards, but the news accounts of the time made it sound like they had thoroughly vandalized and trashed the place.
They also included scandalous sounding numbers as to the cost of repairs of the White House offices, without mentioning that the costs were par for the course for renovation of a large office for the first time in eight years.
Old 19 May 2008, 05:26 AM

I do remember something about stuff the Clinton's took for the White House when leaving. I was not vandalism anyways, but could be considered theft.

I just turned this up on a quick search of the internet; Clinton White House heist
Old 19 May 2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Dog View Post
I thought it would have been a good prank myself...
Old 19 May 2008, 09:05 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
I thought it would have been a good prank myself...
Better would have simply been switching the keys around. A touch-typist wouldn't even blink but the old 2-finger pounders would be completely lost.
Old 19 May 2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
Better would have simply been switching the keys around. A touch-typist wouldn't even blink but the old 2-finger pounders would be completely lost.
Good point. Or swapping the keyboards for a different model.
Old 19 May 2008, 08:23 PM
dg61

Quote:
I like that. Not hard to repair at all and it penalizes stupidity(since a clever person could make it work by noting which key produced which letter and keeping track)