snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 11 May 2013, 05:57 AM

Default Is this (finally) our flying car?

It's one of science fiction's greatest unfulfilled promises, right up there with teleportation and time travel.

And, no, Terrafugia hasn't built us a Tardis or promised to beam us up. But they say they're closer than ever to giving us a flying car.

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...ur-flying-car/
Old 11 May 2013, 07:28 AM

Wake me when they produce a vehicle that costs less than $100,000.

I figure that will be the time to invest in the reinforced roof and start taking the subway.
Old 11 May 2013, 07:45 AM

Yeah, I kind of think we want to develop safe, reliable self-driving cars before we even think about letting them off the ground.
Old 11 May 2013, 11:08 AM

Wow, they've begun feasibility studies and everything! Truly we are closer than ever!
Old 11 May 2013, 03:13 PM

Airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Wake me when they produce a vehicle that costs less than $100,000...
I think that the first-generation "flying cars" will probably be more akin to taxicabs than personal vehicles. So I think burdened cost per seat-mile might be the more relevant metric.

Of course, that's what they said that about VLJs in the '90s and '00s, too, and that market definitely did not materialize.
Old 12 May 2013, 03:14 AM

I have a device in my pocket that can send and recieve messages, predict the weather, take photos, play movies, music and games, and surf the web. Screw flying cars. It's the future.
Old 12 May 2013, 09:57 AM

I'm going camping next weekend. I'm going to get a little steam train to the camp site and then I'm going to walk up Snowdon. I'll take a few books and maybe a hip flask of nice whisky. That's the future for me.

If I had a flying car I could perhaps fly to the top, but then I could already get a train up there if I didn't want to walk...
Old 12 May 2013, 02:36 PM

If all goes well over for me and my wife for the next 10-15 years, and my kid is all grown up, and off to college, and we have enough money to retire and buy something like this, it would be awesome to have this in our garage. We could go drop by at out kid's place whenever we want. I'm sure he'll hate us. From the DC suburbs, we could hit any city on the eastern seaboard and reach midwest within a few hours. The TF-X seems safer and faster than The Transition. mainly because it would be able to land anywhere. Maybe in 15 years, it will be cheaper and they would have all the kinks worked out.