snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 24 October 2007, 04:11 PM

Default MySpace prayer request -- California wildfires

This might be THE most pointless bulletin request I have seen yet. All it asks you to do is repost and pray. Why exactly? Is it really possible that anyone is not aware of the fires?

Quote:

-----------------
Date: Oct 23, 2007 9:05 AM

dubbed "California's Worst Firestorm"

Pictures speak a thousand words
Word on the street is: this firestorm's way worse than the one we had back in '03.
If that was bad, then this is incomprehensible
As of today, there are currently 9 FIRES burning.
The wind isn't helping any, for it is the main cause for the spread of the wildfire
And due to the extremely high winds [50-70MPH], it is dangerous for helicopters to fly close to the fire

pray for this to STOP

REPOST THIS;
It ain't gonna kill you to take a few minutes to.
Hit REPLY and repost the code.

&PRAY PEOPLE;
Old 24 October 2007, 04:15 PM

Normally I'd agree with you, but I see where it's coming from. It's not that people don't know about the fires. It's not a request so much as an expression. The poster is saying, "I'm concerned. I think this is awful. I feel helpless, and I wish I could do something." A prayer request in any format is often an expression of that feeling, IMO.

I wish the poster had realized, however, that there are things s/he could do, and request others to do, such as donate money to the Red Cross.
Old 24 October 2007, 06:47 PM

I always find it a bit weird when people ask you to say prayers for natural disasters - it seems a bit counter-productive somehow. Even if the fires them selves were started by man, the strong winds are making them much worse. It's God that's doing this! Drought and unusually strong winds! He wants to burn down California. Praying ain't going to help.
Old 24 October 2007, 06:54 PM

Icon215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
I always find it a bit weird when people ask you to say prayers for natural disasters - it seems a bit counter-productive somehow. Even if the fires them selves were started by man, the strong winds are making them much worse. It's God that's doing this! Drought and unusually strong winds! He wants to burn down California. Praying ain't going to help.
Well, that sparks (ha) a debate as old as DOYC him/herself. Why pray? If DOYC wanted things to be different, they already would be, right? Is DOYC just sitting there letting terrible things happen until someone decides to ask DOYC to stop it? Isn't that a little sadistic?

Last month someone forged a check and stole money from my account. My religious friend was advising me to pray about my resulting financial chaos. I told her, "What's God going to do, deposit money into my account?" Her answer was that God could provide provision, like a surprise check in my box, or mercy from bill collectors.

It's an interesting question and frankly I hope this doesn't start a hundred-page debate thread on the subject. My take on it is that prayer is for the pray-er, not for the pray-ee, and not for the situation either. Prayer is just a way for us to express our feelings and deal with the stress. YMMV.
Old 24 October 2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle Up View Post
Normally I'd agree with you, but I see where it's coming from. It's not that people don't know about the fires. It's not a request so much as an expression. The poster is saying, "I'm concerned. I think this is awful. I feel helpless, and I wish I could do something." A prayer request in any format is often an expression of that feeling, IMO.

I wish the poster had realized, however, that there are things s/he could do, and request others to do, such as donate money to the Red Cross.
Except that at the end it says "It ain't gonna kill you to hit REPLY and repost this" as though that tiny action could possibly make any difference whatsoever. The tone makes it sound like forwarding the stupid bulletin will raise funds or make rain fall or something.
Old 24 October 2007, 10:00 PM

Well it's like every Myspace bulletin. If you don't post it, you obviously not only don't agree with it, but you're one of those heathen scum who want the opposite effect.

Don't repost the prayer for fires plea? You sick bastard, you obviously want California gone.

Don't repost the rape is bad poems? You sick bastard, you are obviously pro-rape.

Never mind the many other reasons a person may not repost something that they actually do agree with.