snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 06 November 2009, 08:11 PM

Ambulance Flu Chart

Comment: I'm trying to determine if the attached is internet rumor - or real -- it looks real, but I cannot find a medical source with this chart.

Old 06 November 2009, 08:19 PM

If true, that actually explains a lot about me. I had the flu a few weeks ago, and although I never saw a doctor, it was most likely swine flu (since basically what I'm hearing is that if you have the flu right now, you have swine flu - since it's too early for seasonal flu).

And I was surprised not to have a stuffy or runny nose or a sore throat at all. And I had a bad headache the whole time, didn't sneeze much (but coughed a lot), and I was really tired and had chest discomfort. I also had a fever, as high as 102.9 F. Symptoms lasted five days, and it hit pretty quick, within one day. No diarrhea though - not sure why the flu would give you that in any case.

But other than the last, their description of swine flu fits pretty well with what I had.
Old 06 November 2009, 08:35 PM

I found that chart on a school's website, but don't know if it originated there. The info posted is similar to info on the CDC website, but they didn't say there were differences in runny noses or sneezing among flus.

Nick
Old 06 November 2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
I found that chart on a school's website, but don't know if it originated there. The info posted is similar to info on the CDC website, but they didn't say there were differences in runny noses or sneezing among flus.

Nick
I would bet that the chart was made by someone at the school administration, not the CDC or some other federal agency. The mispelling of "flu" in the very first swine flu box is a giveaway, to me at least.

-RB
Old 06 November 2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
I would bet that the chart was made by someone at the school administration, not the CDC or some other federal agency. The mispelling of "flu" in the very first swine flu box is a giveaway, to me at least.

-RB
Not to mention... "Sneezing is common present with the seasonal flu."
Old 08 November 2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
A headache is fairly uncommon with a cold.

Could have fooled me.
Old 08 November 2009, 01:08 AM

I had swine flu a couple of weeks back, and it fit with the chart, except that I had no noticeable fever. My doctor said she'd also had swine flu, and didn't get a fever, either. Though my youngest daughter (who I probably caught it from) had swine flu with a pretty high fever.

David
Old 08 November 2009, 01:34 AM

The one thing that I noticed is that everything I've ever read said that fast onset is common with seasonal flu. It certainly was when I had it (and this was about 3 years ago, definitely not H1N1), and was one of the reasons the health center tested me. In about a half hour I went from perfectly fine to not feeling so great. A few hours after that I almost collapsed in the cafeteria, and was about at the "feeling like I'm gonna die" point.
Old 08 November 2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGirl View Post
The one thing that I noticed is that everything I've ever read said that fast onset is common with seasonal flu. It certainly was when I had it (and this was about 3 years ago, definitely not H1N1), and was one of the reasons the health center tested me. In about a half hour I went from perfectly fine to not feeling so great. A few hours after that I almost collapsed in the cafeteria, and was about at the "feeling like I'm gonna die" point.
Exactly.

I've had the flu several times and each time I went from fine to wishing I was dead in half a day.

There are some other "facts" on there which I find contrary to experience also. As someone mentioned, headache not common with cold?

I would bet this is not official. Actually I got the impression that the CDC or whoever is in charge of this kind of stuff is being rather noncommittal about the difference between h1n1 and seasonal flu. The CDC link that Nick T. posted is certainly much more nonspecific than the chart in the OP, basically saying that possible symptoms are similar, might be more severe with h1n1, and that there may be vomiting and stomach upset with h1n1.

All the things I have heard about the differences have been anecdotal - and probably have a tendency to be accurate in a lot of cases, as all the anecdata seem to be agreeing but as I said I'm under the impression that officially they aren't really going out on a limb and spelling out the differences as specifically as the chart. Probably because they don't want people self diagnosing?

Last edited by snapdragonfly; 08 November 2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: clarfiy
Old 08 November 2009, 01:55 PM

I agree with all that said headaches are present with colds. I also didn't think sneezing,vomiting or diarrhea were very common with the flu.

According to the list it seems that the flu that my husband suffered from 3 years ago was the swine flu and not the regular flu. He had chills, a fever of at least 101, no sneezing, severe body aches and pains, severe tiredness and rapid onset. That all seems to add up to H1N1 according to the list.

The list looks like it is trying to make differences appear where there are none:
1. Fever- Adding the temperature for the swine flu symptom doesn't make it more real. The fevers from the flu are also that high, if not higher.
2. Cough- The dry and hacking cough of the flu is also non-productive.
3. Aches and pains- Exist with both strains of the flu. From what I understand, both strains can cause severe aches and pains.
4. Chills- Is the chart trying to indicate that chills are not as common with the swine flu as they are with the typical flu? I guess I'm just wondering why they added a percentage in.

I should probably stop rambling and just say that I'd trust the CDC's list more than this one. I'm sure there are differences, but making up the differences and sending them out in an email isn't very helpful. I think knowing the real differences would be better.

ETA: I get that the H1N1 symptoms can be more severe, but it still seems that this chart is reaching for differences.

Last edited by coleus; 08 November 2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Add an extra thought
Old 08 November 2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleus View Post
ETA: I get that the H1N1 symptoms can be more severe, but it still seems that this chart is reaching for differences.
That was the impression I got, as well. Especially the fever thing, that varies so much person to person. My normal temp is about 97.9, so a fever for me may be a lot lower than someone with a normal temp of 98.6. And chills being mild to moderate? Aren't the chills a symptom of a fever, not of the flu in general? So I don't even see how that would work.
Old 08 November 2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGirl View Post
That was the impression I got, as well. Especially the fever thing, that varies so much person to person. My normal temp is about 97.9, so a fever for me may be a lot lower than someone with a normal temp of 98.6. And chills being mild to moderate? Aren't the chills a symptom of a fever, not of the flu in general? So I don't even see how that would work.
I'm the same. My temperature is usually in the 96 area and it was up to 98.9 at one point. So I had a fever, but I only knew that because I know my average temp is lower as a rule.

My cough is productive. It turned that way on the second day, and I think I'm going to need to be seen for it. All the symptoms seem to indicate that I have something in my chest but I was hoping it would get better this week. I had the immunization 6 days ago as well, so you'd expect with my body already primed against it I'd be feeling much better by now. I've just gone from a 4 out of 10 to a 6 or 7.