snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Trivia

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11 January 2007, 08:11 AM
BrianB's Avatar
BrianB BrianB is offline
 
Join Date: 03 March 2000
Location: Camarillo, CA
Posts: 3,529
Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class Bravo View Post
Doesn't it actually stay on DST all year long and just not convert to standard time? Either way, that was one thing that I did like when I lived in Arizona. Staying on one time throughout the whole year was pretty cool.
Arizona has year-round Standard Time. And as black roses19 points out, there were counties in Indiana that didn't observe DST. Interestingly, that site says the Navajo nation does observe DST.
Brian
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11 January 2007, 08:23 AM
Class Bravo
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Huh. Interesting. I guess the thing that confused me was that sometimes it's in Mountain Time and sometims it's in Pacific Time....when it's in Pacific Time it's when Pacific is in DST, so I guess that's why I thought it was DST all year long in AZ.

And if that's a rambling post, sorry--I think it's high time for me to get to bed.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11 January 2007, 08:34 AM
Drainfluid
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
This is all we rate?

What about Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in the New World? What about having more Virginians elected President than any other state? What about Natural Bridge, one of the seven natural wonders of the world?
Oh please. Let me guess, the other six are also in the US?

While making a list of natural wonders in the world is obviously a very difficult task, I think there would be consensus that of US sites only the Grand Canyon would be in it.

CNN agrees with me:

http://www.cnn.com/TRAVEL/DESTINATIO...tural.wonders/
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11 January 2007, 08:38 AM
dave748 dave748 is offline
 
Join Date: 05 December 2005
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 46
Default

Ummm, if its facts about the 50 states, isn't Washington D.C. in Virginia and not a separate state, or am I miss understanding something about D.C. (genuine question)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11 January 2007, 09:33 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave748 View Post
Ummm, if its facts about the 50 states, isn't Washington D.C. in Virginia and not a separate state, or am I miss understanding something about D.C. (genuine question)
Yes, you are misunderstanding a few things. DC is not part of any state. The land was originally part of Maryland, so most of DC is adjacent to Maryland.

DC is also bordered by the Potomac river and across the river is Arlington, Virginia. Arlington originally formed part of the tilted square that was DC. The state of Virginia took it back some time before the civil war, when it tried unsuccesfully to take itself back from the US as well.

My favorite quote about DC is from JFK: "Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." (This basically tells us why the great state of Maryland has not taken its two-thirds back.)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11 January 2007, 09:50 AM
TallGeekyGirl's Avatar
TallGeekyGirl TallGeekyGirl is offline
 
Join Date: 31 December 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drainfluid View Post
Oh please. Let me guess, the other six are also in the US?

While making a list of natural wonders in the world is obviously a very difficult task, I think there would be consensus that of US sites only the Grand Canyon would be in it.

CNN agrees with me:

http://www.cnn.com/TRAVEL/DESTINATIO...tural.wonders/
The marketing of Natural Bridge states that it's one of the 7 natural wonders of the world, but it's certainly far from official. The Bridge is a source of regional pride for those of us who grew up in the Shenandoah Valley, so you'll have to excuse my eagerness to repeat the marketing hype.

I'll compromise... can we call it one of the 7 natural wonders of the US?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11 January 2007, 09:53 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,304
Throw Tomato

Quote:
PENNSYLVANIA ... The smiley, was first used in 1980 by computer scientists at Carnegie Mellon University.
This one is a victim of the board's formatting, for it is not the smiley face (c. 1970) that was first used on the computer but the original emoticon smiley :-) (not the unhyphenated one). (Wikipedia says 1982 under the entry for emoticon.) There was, however, this very early "use" of the winking smiley -- you be the judge ;-)
http://kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~y.../emoticon.html
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11 January 2007, 10:27 AM
Dactyl's Avatar
Dactyl Dactyl is offline
 
Join Date: 02 December 2005
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 4,411
Default

Quote:
WEST VIRGINIA ... Had the world's first brick paved street, Summers Street, laid in Charleston in 1870.
This one immediately alerted my BS filter unless we're having a very narrow definition of "Brick paved street".
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11 January 2007, 11:34 AM
Drainfluid
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
The marketing of Natural Bridge states that it's one of the 7 natural wonders of the world, but it's certainly far from official. The Bridge is a source of regional pride for those of us who grew up in the Shenandoah Valley, so you'll have to excuse my eagerness to repeat the marketing hype.

I'll compromise... can we call it one of the 7 natural wonders of the US?
I am happy with your compromise

From my experience, it is a curse in the US where all things are marketed as the best in the world by people who clearly haven't been out much. Its just a munchkin of mine. Sorry for snapping at you.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11 January 2007, 01:27 PM
rlobinske's Avatar
rlobinske rlobinske is offline
 
Join Date: 15 December 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
This is all we rate?

What about Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in the New World? What about having more Virginians elected President than any other state? What about Natural Bridge, one of the seven natural wonders of the world?
Isn't the Pentagon in Washington D.C. and therefore, not a part of Virginia? Or, any other state.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11 January 2007, 01:36 PM
methuselah
 
Posts: n/a
Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drainfluid View Post
Oh please. Let me guess, the other six are also in the US?

While making a list of natural wonders in the world is obviously a very difficult task, I think there would be consensus that of US sites only the Grand Canyon would be in it.
I'd argue that Niagara Falls could make a definitive list of Natural Wonders of the World. (And, yes, I realize half of it is in Canada).
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11 January 2007, 02:36 PM
TallGeekyGirl's Avatar
TallGeekyGirl TallGeekyGirl is offline
 
Join Date: 31 December 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,012
Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlobinske View Post
Isn't the Pentagon in Washington D.C. and therefore, not a part of Virginia? Or, any other state.
Nope. The Pentagon is in Arlington, VA, across the river from Washington, DC.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11 January 2007, 03:05 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 25,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by methuselah View Post
I'd argue that Niagara Falls could make a definitive list of Natural Wonders of the World. (And, yes, I realize half of it is in Canada).
I disagree - check the Iguazu Falls on the border of Argentina and Brazil. (More pictures). In pictures, at least, they beat the Niagara Falls hands down in my opinion. I've not been to either, but my aunt and uncle have been to both (I hadn't heard of the Iguazu Falls until I saw their holiday photos) and also think that these are more spectacular.

And you wouldn't want too many similar waterfalls on your list. If you also include the Angel Falls as the world's highest, then I reckon that's enough.

(edit) I wouldn't argue with the Grand Canyon.

Last edited by Richard W; 11 January 2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added Grand Canyon
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11 January 2007, 03:14 PM
Mr. Furious's Avatar
Mr. Furious Mr. Furious is offline
 
Join Date: 13 January 2001
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
My favorite quote about DC is from JFK: "Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm."
Having visited DC several times, and having lived in both the South and the North, I have to say that this is a very accurate assessment.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11 January 2007, 03:49 PM
Signora Del Drago's Avatar
Signora Del Drago Signora Del Drago is offline
 
Join Date: 04 November 2005
Location: Chickasha, OK
Posts: 5,311
Glasses

Quote:
WEST VIRGINIA ... Had the world's first brick paved street, Summers Street, laid in Charleston in 1870.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
This one immediately alerted my BS filter unless we're having a very narrow definition of "Brick paved street".
I'm a tad confused. Either a street is paved with brick or it's not.
http://www.wvdo.org/achievements.html
Quote:
The world’s first brick street was laid in Charleston on Oct. 23, 1870, on Summers Street, between Kanawha and Virginia streets.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11 January 2007, 04:18 PM
RainyDaze
 
Posts: n/a
Icon202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni_Rodeo View Post
KANSAS ... Liberal, Kansas, has an exact replica of the house in The Wizard of Oz.
I don't know if this is true, but if it is that must be all that is in Liberal, Kansas. The rest of Kansas is very, very conservative.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11 January 2007, 04:23 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 25,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signora Del Drago View Post
I'm a tad confused. Either a street is paved with brick or it's not.
http://www.wvdo.org/achievements.html
It's the definition of "brick" that's in question, really. How many streets are paved with brick even now? Pedestrian precincts perhaps. Cobbled streets and paved streets have been around for centuries. Bricks have also been around for centuries. I guess nobody considered bricks a suitable material to pave a street with before 1870...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11 January 2007, 04:28 PM
RainyDaze
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlobinske View Post
Isn't the Pentagon in Washington D.C. and therefore, not a part of Virginia? Or, any other state.
The Pentagon is in Arlington, Virginia just south of D.C. and the Potomac river.

If memory serves me the Pentagon is on land that was supposed to be part of Washington D.C. but Virginia never got around to donating its chunk of land. Washington D.C. was supposed to be rectangular in shape with the Potomac running through it. Only Maryland actually donated land so D.C is entirely north of the Potomac. Please feel free to shoot me down on this one folks.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11 January 2007, 04:44 PM
DaGuyWitBluGlasses DaGuyWitBluGlasses is offline
 
Join Date: 06 June 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It's the definition of "brick" that's in question, really. How many streets are paved with brick even now? Pedestrian precincts perhaps. Cobbled streets and paved streets have been around for centuries. Bricks have also been around for centuries. I guess nobody considered bricks a suitable material to pave a street with before 1870...
I would guess they mean the image most people think of one they hear brick, those red clay bricks used mainly in construction.

Cobblestone bricks are made from many other materials/processes. I'd imagine clay bricks not to be as durable as some of the others, as in the construction its not the brick itself taking the force of the building, but the combination of the bricks and mortar, on the otherhand that take, whereas on a brick road the bricks themselves would be taking a beating from the hooves and wheels.

Poor west virginia, being remembered for a bad idea, that shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11 January 2007, 05:17 PM
Signora Del Drago's Avatar
Signora Del Drago Signora Del Drago is offline
 
Join Date: 04 November 2005
Location: Chickasha, OK
Posts: 5,311
Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It's the definition of "brick" that's in question, really. How many streets are paved with brick even now? Pedestrian precincts perhaps. Cobbled streets and paved streets have been around for centuries. Bricks have also been around for centuries. I guess nobody considered bricks a suitable material to pave a street with before 1870...
I'm sure there are no streets being paved with brick, now, but some of the older ones are preserved. In Columbus, Georgia, where I grew up, the main street is paved with cobblestones. I don't know when it was done but am trying to find out. Not that it matters because brick and cobblestone are different. I'm just curious. Anyway, it would seem that the people in Charleston would know what a brick is.

DaGuyWitBluGlasses, cobblestone is not made like brick. From my dictionary: a rounded stone larger than a pebble and smaller than a boulder, formerly much used for paving streets. I can't link to that, but this page indicates that they are naturally formed.

This http://static.flickr.com/8/10757122_2b5272bcea_m.jpg will take you to a brick-paved street,

and this http://www.ixbalanque.com/Photos/orquidea/street.JPG will take you to a cobblestone-paved street.

I wish I could find a photo of Broad Street in Columbus. It is beautiful.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.