snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Trivia

Old 09 March 2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
ILLINOIS .. The Chicago River is dyed green every St. Patrick's Day.

This one is true. In fact they do such a good job it pretty much stays green all year.
Old 10 March 2007, 07:15 PM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboy View Post
Has recorded a higher tempurature than all but 4 states, even Texas' record high is lower:

California, Arizona and Nevada have recorded higher
Kansas has tied.
Weatherman Tom Szymanski of KVLY in Fargo, ND (NBC affiliate) recently reported that four states have recorded higher temperatures than North Dakota's all time high (California, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico) while only 2 have recorded lower temperatures (Alaska and Minnesota).

I'd like to see the actual numbers for temperature extremes, as I believe North Dakota would rank number one on the list.

Wikipedia reports the high temp of 121 in North Dakota was recorded in the tiny town of Steele, ND on July 6, 1936, and corroborates the four states that have recorded higher temps. This is also backed up by a tourist brochure I obtained while visiting the Kidder County Courthouse back in '98.

I was unable to find a source documenting the cold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steele,_North_Dakota
Old 10 March 2007, 07:23 PM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post
NORTH DAKOTA ... Rigby, North Dakota, is the exact geo-graphic center of North America.

I think they meant Rugby, ND, but, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, the geographic center of North America is 6 miles west of Balta, ND - Link.
You are correct that the correct name of the town is Rugby, ND, but I think you're giving the village of Balta a little too much credit. I've actually been there, and it's really difficult to consider Balta a town. Sure, they have a post office, but that's about it.

If you really want to get technical, we could say that the geographic center of North America is just west of the west shore of Kilgore Lake, but the residents of Rugby, ND take the claim that they host the location quite seriously.
Old 10 March 2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeboy View Post
(Indiana) Is the only state touching the Great Lakes that does NOT have a Native American name...
Come on now... INDIAN-a?
Old 10 March 2007, 10:10 PM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn13 View Post
I was unable to find a source documenting the cold.
This website:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wcstates.htm

says there are actually five states that have recorded colder temps than North Dakota, and one of them isn't Minnesota. They are Utah, Colorado, Montana, and Alaska, and Wyoming.

Like there is really that much difference between -60 and -80.
Old 11 March 2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
RHODE ISLAND ... The nation's oldest bar, the White Horse Tavern, opened here in 1673
True! And it's allegedly haunted!
Also in Newport (home of the White Horse Tavern) is Touro Synagogue, the nation's oldest synagogue (dedicated in 1763).

In mind-bendingly inane facts, several years back we honest to God held elections for a state drink. The choice was between coffee milk (as in, milk flavored with coffee syrup, which you pretty much learn at infancy to drink) and Dels frozen Lemonade (which is kinda like a lemon slush with lemon pieces thrown in). Coffee Milk reigned supreme; Dels was so bitter, one store had a big sign up that said, "Dels: the unofficial state drink!"

And you wonder why I'm so weird sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleupp
The New Mexico fact is true although the official name is Smokey Bear, not Smokey the Bear. He was rescued from a forest fire in the Capitan Mountains of New Mexico in 1950.
Piffle and dwaddle! His name (or rather, the name of the icon used today, not the actual bear cub) has changed to "Smokey Bear" in the last decade or so. His (the real bear cub's) original name was Smokey the Bear. I grew up calling him that. My Ma has a 45" from 1952 titled "Smokey the Bear", and the chorus goes:

Smokey the Bear! Smokey the Bear!
Prowlin' and a-growlin' and a-sniffin' the air!
He can find a fire before it starts to flame,
That's why they call him Smokey, that's how he got his name!

Hey - whaddaya know! Lyrics!
Old 20 March 2007, 01:47 AM

michigan is also known for Jiffy mix