snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 13 November 2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
For 6 I'm going to guess...
Now that I look at the question again, your guess has the advantage that "is" still applies, unlike mine.
Old 13 November 2018, 04:32 PM

1. Peru and Bolivia.

2. The Producers.

3. Prime Suspect.

4. Nostrils.

5. Guyana.

6. Don't know.

7. No idea.
Old 13 November 2018, 04:36 PM

2. Despite its sixteen nominations in 2016, Hamilton was unable to break the Tony Award record of what showbiz musical, which won twelve Tonys in 2001? The Producers?

5. Prior to the 9/11 attacks, the largest-ever mass killing of American civilians happened in 1978 in what country? Guyana?

6. What musician is also the only solo songwriter ever to have covers of his songs top the Billboard pop, country, R&B, and adult contemporary charts? Willie Nelson?
Old 14 November 2018, 12:01 AM

Whalephant

Most of those are actually professional basketball teams, Richard.

For #6 I'll guess Dolly Parton.
Old 14 November 2018, 07:00 AM

1. Name either of the two countries that border Lake Titicaca. Peru and Bolivia

4. What's the more common name for the pair of body parts also called nares?
nostrils

5. Prior to the 9/11 attacks, the largest-ever mass killing of American civilians happened in 1978 in what country? Guyana
Old 18 November 2018, 05:04 AM

Icon106

6. I want to guess Elvis Costello but I heard a similar claim about George Michael.
Old 20 November 2018, 02:09 PM

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Which Henry James novel shares its name with the best-known work of painter Rogier van der Weyden?

2. In French, who are known as Simplet, Timide, Joyeux, Grincheux, Prof, Dormeur, and Atchoum?

3. The father of actor Paul Giamatti was the youngest president in the history of Yale University, but is better known for briefly holding what job in mid-1989?

4. The five convex, regular polyhedra in geometry are named after what Greek?

5. In December 1933, humorists H. Allen Smith and Joe Weber each claimed to be the first Americans to do what for the first time in thirteen years?

6. When Krylon was sold by Borden, Inc. in 1990, it was America'as leading brand of what product?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Samuel Beckett, Charles IV, Roberto Clemente, Mario Cuomo, Mahatma Gandhi, King Hussein, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Moses, Amerigo Vespucci, George Washington.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Name either of the two countries that border Lake Titicaca.
It sits at 12,500 feet above sea level, between Peru and Bolivia.

2. Despite its sixteen nominations in 2016, Hamilton was unable to break the Tony Award record of what showbiz musical, which won twelve Tonys in 2001?
Sixteen nominations was a new record, but Hamilton fell one win short of the all-time Tonys record: twelve awards for The Producers.

3. In 2011, Maria Bello briefly played the Helen Mirren role in a U.S. remake of what hit British TV series?
The beloved British hit, and the unloved American non-hit, were both called Prime Suspect.

4. What's the more common name for the pair of body parts also called nares?
They're your nostrils. "Buttocks" was a common answer here, so now I know how many Tuesday Trivia subscribers literally couldn't find their butt with both hands.

5. Prior to the 9/11 attacks, the largest-ever mass killing of American civilians happened in 1978 in what country?
Guyana. A total of 918 people died in the Jonestown massacre.

6. What musician is also the only solo songwriter ever to have covers of his songs top the Billboard pop, country, R&B, and adult contemporary charts?
Bob Dylan covers have topped all four charts: the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man," Garth Brooks's "To Make You Feel My Love," Stevie Wonder's "Blowin' in the Wind," and Olivia Newton-John's "If Not for You." I read once in a magazine profile of Dylan that this was an unique accomplishment, but while fact-checking the question, I saw that Lennon-McCartney songs have done it as well (Elton John's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," Rosanne Cash's "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party," Earth, Wind & Fire's "Got to Get You into My Life," and Anne Murray's "You Won't See Me"). Hopefully Dylan is the only SOLO songwriter ever to do it? Anyone?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these NBA and NFL teams, and no others? Bulls, Celtics, Clippers, Jets, Knicks, Giants, Lakers, Mavericks, Nets, Nuggets, Pistons, Raiders, Raptors, 76ers, Wizards.
All these teams have to share their home stadium or arena with another team, which is not as common as it used to be. The time-share partner is a hockey team in the case of the NBA teams, another football team in the case of the Jets and Giants, and a baseball team in the case of the Raiders...but not for much longer.

Enjoy!
Old 20 November 2018, 02:17 PM

2. In French, who are known as Simplet, Timide, Joyeux, Grincheux, Prof, Dormeur, and Atchoum?

The seven dwarfs

Plato
Old 20 November 2018, 02:34 PM

4. The five convex, regular polyhedra in geometry are named after what Greek? Pythagrious (sp?) as in pythagrian solids.

5. In December 1933, humorists H. Allen Smith and Joe Weber each claimed to be the first Americans to do what for the first time in thirteen years? Take a legal drink of alcohol.

6. When Krylon was sold by Borden, Inc. in 1990, it was America'as leading brand of what product? Spray paint.

ETA: Floater, would that be (in order) Dopey, Bashful, Happy, Grumpy, Doc, Sleepy, and Sneezy?
Old 20 November 2018, 02:56 PM

GenYus234: Yes.
Old 20 November 2018, 02:58 PM

That's got to be the Seven Dwarfs.

Pythagorous. Who I seem to have forgotten how to spell.
Old 20 November 2018, 03:06 PM

1. Guessing Portrait of a Lady.

2. Those sound like the Seven Dwarves.

4. Not sure I understand the question. There are more than five, surely? Some are named after the number of their faces (in Greek) but I have a feeling the question must be getting at something else. Maybe there really are only five of them which are regular in that way. (eta) Ah, what Greek, not what in Greek. That's what I was missing.

5. (Guess) Legally drink alcohol?

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Samuel Beckett, Charles IV, Roberto Clemente, Mario Cuomo, Mahatma Gandhi, King Hussein, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Moses, Amerigo Vespucci, George Washington.
Quite a varied list there!
Old 20 November 2018, 03:39 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Which Henry James novel shares its name with the best-known work of painter Rogier van der Weyden?
I typed the close quote text and then went completely blank on Henry James' novels. Since I'm only vaguely aware of Van der Weyden, I'm going to say The Haywain (which I at least know is a real painting)
Quote:

The seven dwarfs (Dopey, Bashful, Happy, Grumpy, Doc, Sleepy & Sneezy).
Quote:

3. The father of actor Paul Giamatti was the youngest president in the history of Yale University, but is better known for briefly holding what job in mid-1989?
Not a fricking clue. Chairman of the SEC.
Quote:

Aristotle.
Quote:

5. In December 1933, humorists H. Allen Smith and Joe Weber each claimed to be the first Americans to do what for the first time in thirteen years?
Get drunk legally
Quote:

6. When Krylon was sold by Borden, Inc. in 1990, it was America'as leading brand of what product?
Spray paint.
Quote:

Wow. I know who all of them are. I'm going to go with they were all lawyers, which isn't true (certainly not for Charles IV), but is an answer.

Seaboe
Old 20 November 2018, 04:34 PM

Les sept nains or The seven dwarves
Old 20 November 2018, 05:42 PM

The seven dwarfs

Baseball commissioner

Plato
Old 20 November 2018, 06:52 PM

I know it's true a some of them - They have a bridge named after them?
Old 20 November 2018, 07:28 PM

Glasses

Where's the Moses bridge?

Seaboe
Old 20 November 2018, 07:34 PM

Don't know about Moses. But I know it works for Cuomo, Hussein and Washington.
Old 20 November 2018, 11:12 PM

Baseball

1 for 7 this week.

1. Don't know off the top of my head the works of either.

2. The seven Dwarfs

3. MTV VJ?

4. Good golly. I'll guess Archimedes.

5. Drink in a bar?

6. Don't know. Teflon?

7. Goodness. I misread the question as "What visual distinction" and now can't get my brain thinking any other way. I'm gonna pass this one.
Old 21 November 2018, 12:04 AM

2. In French, who are known as Simplet, Timide, Joyeux, Grincheux, Prof, Dormeur, and Atchoum? The Seven Dwarves.

4. The five convex, regular polyhedra in geometry are named after what Greek? Euclid.

5. In December 1933, humorists H. Allen Smith and Joe Weber each claimed to be the first Americans to do what for the first time in thirteen years? Drink alcohol.

6. When Krylon was sold by Borden, Inc. in 1990, it was America'as leading brand of what product? Spraypaint.