snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 10 June 2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Also, what the heck kind of flight from New Jersey to Oklahoma routes you with an overnight in San Diego, then another connecting flight in Seattle? I mean--WHAT?
One that has empty seats that they're trying to fill.

Unhijackably, this is something that's starting to annoy me about sites like Kayak. By default they sort by by price from lowest to highest. The problem is the absolute cheapest flights all have extra unnecessary connections, circuitous routings, ridiculously long layovers, or some combination of the above. You don't even start getting to the flights that actually have reasonably convenient routings until you get to the second or third page of results (Yes, I know you can filter the results by number of stops and maximum layover times). I might have booked such an inconvenient flight back when I was a poor college student and wanted to get the absolute cheapest fare possible, but now I don't mind paying a little more for a more convenient routing.
Old 10 June 2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
My grandmother died last night, at 102. (Not a huge shock, altogether.) But they planned a funeral without actually firming up plans until tonight. Turns out it's on Monday morning in Oklahoma. There is no way I can get there by then. Does that seem kind of fast to anyone else?
Avril, I am so sorry for your loss.

It doesn't sound fast to me; but then, my heritage is Jewish. That would be slow, for us. Traditions vary a good deal -- but this is your family, so presumably also your traditions. So if it seems fast for you, maybe it is.
Old 10 June 2017, 03:09 AM

I think the Jewish rapidity of burial has something to do with not embalming the body and laws associated with that. My other grandmother was buried within 24 hours of her death, so this kind of quick isn't unknown. But this side of the family usually doesn't rush quite like this.
Old 12 June 2017, 01:40 AM

Changes in my job that I thought were going to be upsetting turned out to be exactly what I needed. In about a day I felt the vast majority of the anxiety I have felt for I guess years now lift off from me. I feel back to my old self.

This is going to sound like a weird thing, but it's like I don't know what to do with this mental freedom. It feels weird not worrying about or fixating on the things I was spending so much time on. Like the practical part of my brain has grabbed the helm again and was like "Alright, that's it now, no more of all that, it's all over." I have to get back into my personal hobbies and interests and social life. It's very uplifting but... I dunno, I guess I expected it was going to take longer- or at least more than that job change- to get me there.

The anxiety was what was motivating me to get through a lot of what I did the past several years, so talk about a blessing and a curse. It's just so weird to not be feeling it anymore. It's hard to explain. I know things are going to be okay (and for the first time in years I can say that and actually believe it) but it's going to take some getting used to.

Sending positive vibes to anyone who's in a bad place mentally right now. I hope a reprieve will be heading your way soon. It seems to happen so randomly.
Old 12 June 2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
My grandmother died last night, at 102.
My condolences, Avril.
Old 12 June 2017, 03:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
the absolute cheapest flights all have extra unnecessary connections, circuitous routings, ridiculously long layovers, or some combination of the above.
I once saw something similar. I was looking for a flight from Seattle to Spokane (300 miles apart, so it takes about 50 minutes in the air; Alaska has one about every hour), and noticed one flight took 6 hours and cost over $600. Out of curiosity, I looked at it.

The flight sent you from Seattle to Los Angeles, where you changed planes to fly to Spokane. And it wasn't even cheap.

Seaboe
Old 12 June 2017, 05:01 PM

The "nice car" talk seems to have moved here from the "odd things" thread, which is probably more appropriate since even rare cars are generally not "odd", so I'll put these here instead. I saw a couple of good ones today.

First was a Ford GT (2005 model - not one of the new ones) in Maidenhead. Only the second of these I've seen on the road.

Then on the bus on the way home, a Lamborghini Urraco went past (in Bourne End, I think). Even though that was one of their "less expensive" models they still made far fewer of them than the Countach or Diablo, or any of the more modern models (except the really rare and exclusive ones they're doing these days) so it must be pretty rare to see one on the road. I've certainly not seen one before. The last time I saw a Countach was over 20 years ago, I think - last time I thought I saw one was in Ipswich around the turn of the millennium, but when I saw it up close it was a replica.

I also saw what I think was a Renault Twizy (certainly something similar) except it was red, and somebody had taken the Renault badge off and substituted a Ferrari badge. Perhaps that one should go in the "odd things" thread...!
Old 12 June 2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I also saw what I think was a Renault Twizy (certainly something similar) except it was red, and somebody had taken the Renault badge off and substituted a Ferrari badge. Perhaps that one should go in the "odd things" thread...!
Not quite as silly, but when I was in college there was a Honda Civic I frequently saw around campus that had its Honda badge replaced with an Acura badge (Not sure if you have Acura in the UK, but for those who don't know that's Honda's "luxury" marquee in the US). This car had most of the usual "boy racer" modifications, which made me wonder if the owner hoped people would mistake it for the pricier Acura Integra.

Unhijackably, a neighbor around the corner from me seems to be undertaking some really major DIY landscaping project. A few months ago he cut down the tree in his front yard. Then a few weekends ago he used a backhoe to dig up his entire yard and driveway. Last Friday he was using a jackhammer to excavate some rocks from the yard. Now it appears he's preparing to lay concrete, not just for a new driveway but over a large percentage of what used to be the yard, but yesterday I heard the backhoe going again.
Old 12 June 2017, 08:28 PM

The only way I can remember that Acura is Honda's luxury brand is that the Acura "A" looks like Honda's "H" pinched together at the top.
Old 12 June 2017, 08:32 PM

Hyundai and Honda also have similar logos. The Hyundai logo looks like a fancy italicized version of Honda's.
Old 13 June 2017, 03:13 PM

Glasses

There was an accident on I-90 this morning, right at the beginning of the freeway. Picture. They had to block the ramp from southbound I-5 and re-route traffic (luckily, at that spot there are 5 lanes to work with). Apparently, at one point, they had to close all 5 lanes. When I went by at 6:30 or so, the semi was back on its wheels and being hooked up to a tow truck.

Here's the thing. I know exactly how this happened, without even seeing the actual accident. Dollars to donuts the driver was coming from southbound I-5 and he took the curve* too fast (it had just started raining, after three or so days without rain, so the road was probably extra slick), and when he went to straighten out, he skidded. It's probably the most common type of accident you see there.

I kind of feel sorry for the driver, because he may have taken that curve at that speed often without a problem, but today the truck flipped on him.

*you can see a tiny bit of the curve in question, way off on the right side of the photo.

Seaboe
Old 14 June 2017, 05:42 AM

Is it just me or does Sessions sound like the villain in a movie about the civil rights era?
Old 14 June 2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
Is it just me or does Sessions sound like the villain in a movie about the civil rights era?
"I do not recall meeting the ambassador"
*cut to photo of them shaking hands*

Old 16 June 2017, 03:17 PM

Glasses

Last night a friend and I were supposed to go to the theater. We had 45 minutes to get from my house to downtown (a distance of 6 miles), park the car, pick up the tickets and take our seats.

40 minutes later, we reached downtown. Having only 5 minutes to reach the theater, park, etc., we went to her apartment instead. Luckily, she works for the theater and did not pay for the tickets. We're going to try again next Thursday, and skip dinner before the show.

Seaboe
Old 16 June 2017, 11:46 PM

I just got a notification on my phone from Yahoo! Weather: "86% Chance of Rain Within 15 Minutes."

It's coming down in buckets *now*.
Old 17 June 2017, 03:13 PM

I was working at a trivia fundraiser tonight with a costume theme and as usual several men took the opportunity to dress in drag. They always play it off as a hilarious joke but every time it happens I always wonder if any of them are closeted trans or non-binary people who never have any other chance of bringing that aspect of themselves out in public.
Old 18 June 2017, 06:39 PM

More cars, in Windsor yesterday:

The one in front is a Westfield 11, which is a replica of a 1957 Lotus 11 (this one is from 1986). The owner was hanging around and said that if he'd had a real Lotus 11 he wouldn't dare take it out on the road because it would be worth 150,000+. I said you know you've got a nice car when you can park it in front of a Lamborghini and totally upstage the Lambo. (Although opinions may differ! My friends said they'd prefer to have the Lamborghini...)
Old 19 June 2017, 01:06 AM

There's a guy around here with a Westie 11. Really neat little car, he races and autocrosses it, so it's got a rollbar and all sorts of scrutineering stickers on it. I find it street parked quite a lot!
Old 19 June 2017, 03:40 PM

Glasses

I was walking on Saturday and saw a car with a Maserati crown inside a pentagram (not a pentacle, despite the fact that Google images apparently doesn't know there's a difference). I'd just about decided someone had stuck a Maserati badge on an old Plymouth/ Dodge when I found this article. This is definitely the car I saw (except it was in a parking spot next to an apartment building). The one I saw was even red.

Seaboe
Old 19 June 2017, 03:57 PM

I like the Lotus better than the Lambo. I like the shape and the color.
Closed Thread