snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 16 June 2017, 03:47 AM

Default books to reread

I have many books I have read and reread, but there are few I have read to pieces and replaced. The Lord of the Rings /Hobbit books are in the read to pieces category, as well as the Silmarillion. Several of Nora Roberts series, especially her In the Garden series are ones I have replaced often. The seeming oddball in this group is an old Star Trek novel by a fine author, The Wounded Sky by Diane Duane. I have read about 4 copies of that one to pieces.
Old 16 June 2017, 07:18 AM

Whalephant

I re-read books all the time. From Agatha Christie to Patricia Wrede to Betty Neels to Studs Terkel to Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright. They're books I enjoy.
Old 16 June 2017, 02:01 PM

Glasses

You're a Betty Neels fan? My mother loved her books. I was more ambivalent; I felt she wrote the same book 40+ times. A few were stand-outs, despite that.

Seaboe
Old 16 June 2017, 08:33 PM

A few of the earlier writers for Harlequin were much better than the franchise as a whole. I collect a couple of earlier Harlequin authors - well only when I find a title that doesn't cost $$$ .
Old 17 June 2017, 10:04 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
You're a Betty Neels fan? My mother loved her books. I was more ambivalent; I felt she wrote the same book 40+ times. A few were stand-outs, despite that.

Seaboe
You know, I am. They're comfort reading despite the fact that she probably killed off more people than Agatha Christie, including children. Plus she had, every now and then bits of brilliance and some good lines.
Old 17 June 2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
A few of the earlier writers for Harlequin were much better than the franchise as a whole. I collect a couple of earlier Harlequin authors - well only when I find a title that doesn't cost $$$ .
My mind boggles that any Harlequin romance novels would cost more than fractions of a dollar - the several used book stores I used to frequent (when used book stores were still a common thing) were usually between 50% and 75% discarded romance novels, mostly Harlequins.

However, upon further reflection, with the vanishing of used book stores, I've seen books that used to go for a quarter or half dollar rise in "value" to near publication cost, and some things have become "collectible", meaning stuff that used to be read and discarded is now "worth" many dollars over their original publication cost. Thanks, internet, for making the valueless... valuable? Nice for the seller, I suppose, but not my wallet, and I don't need to read those books THAT badly.
Old 17 June 2017, 01:23 PM

Whalephant

The aforementioned Betty Neels is still in print-16 or 17 years after her death- and a lot of people want original editions either for the covers* or because (like me) they get annoyed that the editors modernize things in the reprints. So they'll pay.

*Some of which, it must be said, are awful. This is true of a lot of vintage Harlequin covers, though.
Old 17 June 2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post

However, upon further reflection, with the vanishing of used book stores, I've seen books that used to go for a quarter or half dollar rise in "value" to near publication cost, and some things have become "collectible", meaning stuff that used to be read and discarded is now "worth" many dollars over their original publication cost. Thanks, internet, for making the valueless... valuable? Nice for the seller, I suppose, but not my wallet, and I don't need to read those books THAT badly.
Yeah, it's a mixed blessing. Thanks to the Internet I have added books to my collections that I've been searching for for years. But it's getting harder and harder to get anything I really want for a good price.

The best source for cheap prices on old books now are places like Value Village, library book sales and the like. Most second hand bookstores, at least the ones who are connected to Abebooks or Amazon anyway are shrewd enough to know which titles are going to get them a few dollars and which titles might get them $20++++. Of course some of those prices are wishful thinking. An author I collect (not a Harlequin author) has just had some titles get republished thanks to the efforts of her heirs, anyway tough luck to those booksellers who thought they'd be getting $1,000 for an old library book. Not gonna happen .
Old 19 June 2017, 02:21 PM

Glasses

Harlequin publishes some da*n books in their monthly lines. A Soldier's Heart by Kathleen Korbel (beware, there's another one with the same title, which I haven't read) is a deep and moving book about PTSD, and how it affected the nurses in Vietnam.

Seaboe