snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 17 June 2017, 04:15 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Despite Fallout, I still think of that line as the introduction to the Megadeth song Set The World Afire...

Me too....
Old 17 June 2017, 11:38 PM

Roll eyes Despite Clinton impeachment vote, Gingrich says President 'cannot obstruct justice'

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Friday that it's impossible for President Donald Trump to obstruct justice because of the fact that he's president.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/politi...ain/index.html
Old 18 June 2017, 12:09 AM

Police

"I never broke the law! I am the law!"

...is something I could imagine President Trump saying, or his supporters saying about him, even if it is conclusively proven he did.
Old 18 June 2017, 12:55 AM

Mouse

Glad to know I'm not the only one thinking of Sylvester Stallone Judge Dredd, ASL. Though being Judge Dredd would require Trump to have something resembling work ethic.

:grumbles: That's the trouble with trying to come up with pop culture comparisons for Trump: even the lamest, silliest villain still has better work ethic than Trump. For the record, I'm including villains on Power Rangers, GI Joe, and nearly every eighties cartoon ever. I also include Snidely Whiplash and Dick Dastardly and the Legion of Doom from Superfriends. Their plans may have been stupid as hell, but they still at least put forth actual effort.

All of this makes Trump even more irritating. If we're going to ruled by power-hungry supervillains, can't they at least have some style and/or a basic level of work ethic?
Old 18 June 2017, 01:40 AM

Trump isn't even Underpants Gnome level of competence.
Old 18 June 2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Friday that it's impossible for President Donald Trump to obstruct justice because of the fact that he's president.

Not to bring up another Nixon reference, but this to me is reminiscent of the Nixon-Frost interviews where Nixon insisted that if the President does it, its not illegal.

IMO, that argument and what Newt is arguing doesn’t pass the smell test to me.
Old 18 June 2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post

And of course had it been Hillary Clinton in the White House right now Gingrich would be the first one leading a spirited defense of any thing she might be accused of doing while president or in her run to the presidency. Of course.
Old 18 June 2017, 11:11 PM

Almost as if he wants to leave no doubt about the depth and range of his hypocrisy. After admitting that while dragging Bill Clinton and the nation through impeachment over lying about an affair, he admitted that he was having one during that very same time. So he could have been like, well, sure but the charges were always about obstruction of justice. Nope. Apparently he has zero qualms about admitting that was BS too. These are the people who've always sworn they were the true defenders of the country but now that we have a potentially serious threat it's like "well that was then and this is now".

I personally don't think there was any deliberate quid-pro-quo collusion. I think they just got played by certain foreign and domestic elements. BUT that's what they're trying to cover up - in addition to not admitting to themselves that's what happened. It's just layers and layers of conmen and their marks, from the president's supporters right on up, fooling themselves into thinking they can't possibly be conned because they're oh-so-clever. Meanwhile the rest of the world looks on thinking, how could they possibly not know. In the end there may be little difference between the people who were legitimately deceived, those who deceived them, and the ones who are deceiving only themselves.
Old 19 June 2017, 12:51 AM

Ponder

Conned into the Oval Office... Wish I could be so gullible! I know, I know: he's more an unwitting stooge in that scenario than an intended beneficiary. Sort of like Edward Snowden, really...
Old 19 June 2017, 01:49 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Agreed. Their plan to riches may have been poorly thought out, but the Gnomes did display better work ethic and more competence than Trump. The gnomes did actually put forth the effort needed to collect underpants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Not to bring up another Nixon reference, but this to me is reminiscent of the Nixon-Frost interviews where Nixon insisted that if the President does it, its not illegal.
There's a reason John Oliver keeps referring to the Russia-Comey scandals as Stupid Watergate. To use his words, it's just like Watergate, only everyone involved is really stupid.

I've said that the GOP, at some point, ceased being a political party and turned into doomsday cult. I'm still trying to work out when that happened. It certainly manifested itself during the Clinton Administration, but your call if vestiges started showing up during the Reagan-era. Either way, when the GOP turned into a doomsday cult, their villainy took a nosedive.

Maybe it's because Nixon, for all his villainy, did have higher ambitions, whereas the GOP just want to line their pockets and burn everything done.
Old 19 June 2017, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Conned into the Oval Office... Wish I could be so gullible! I know, I know: he's more an unwitting stooge in that scenario than an intended beneficiary. Sort of like Edward Snowden, really...
No, I don't think they needed to be conned into getting into the White House. That's not what I mean. More likely, conned into giving certain non-US entities favourable positions if they got in and putting themselves into a position where they can't go back on that implicit promise. As for getting him in, I'm sure they did all they could do without starting some serious spit between nations but weren't sure if they could pull that off. If the Dems had gotten in it would have been more to try to control them through embarrassing them and cause this kind of investigation only into more petty things in order to stall or stymie any action that would go against the interests of those foreign entities. Either way, the feeling from the outside was "we have to do something to influence this" after so many decades of having little or no influence on US actions around the world -- Desperation of sorts but it seems to have done the job better than anyone could have imagined. Sadly for people who think the US should not be unduly influenced from the outside but, on the other hand, the pressure to do so has been enormous and we live under extremely porous and vulnerable systems. The surprise is that the social engineering part of the attack went so well. (By "well" I mean it did what was intended, not that I approve of my home country being attacked at all. I do not.) At least so far. It's very risky, as I hope we shall never see until that risk has long gone. (You know, like we are told now how close the world got to nuclear annihilation in the 60's as if it is some space opera not the planet we live on. Whew. That was close! I hope the good guys win in the 1970's... sorry, no such luck.)
Old 20 June 2017, 01:13 PM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Thanks for the earworm, Dawn...I think.
Anytime..
Old 20 June 2017, 01:31 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
He's more like the "heroes" of the Left Behind books who do nothing because, after all, who are they to act heroically and try to stop Nicolae? Why bother to try?
Old 20 June 2017, 03:26 PM

Vanishing FBI Director nominee removed reference to case involving Russian government from bio

FBI Director nominee removed reference to case involving Russian government from law firm bio

Donald Trump's nominee to be the director of the FBI, Christopher Wray, represented an American energy executive in 2006 who was being criminally investigated by the Russian government.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/politi...bio/index.html
Old 20 June 2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
He's more like the "heroes" of the Left Behind books who do nothing because, after all, who are they to act heroically and try to stop Nicolae? Why bother to try?
I don't know the story arc of that series after the first book, but it's a real problem in the world that very religious people think every bad thing that happens is just part of God's plan, and the world is going to end in their lifetimes no matter what they do. So if they really believe that way, then it makes sense for them to be complacent and let the world burn rather than doing anything tangible to try to make it better. Left Behind is a representation of how tens of millions of American Christian voters actually perceive the world.
Old 20 June 2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
There's a reason John Oliver keeps referring to the Russia-Comey scandals as Stupid Watergate. To use his words, it's just like Watergate, only everyone involved is really stupid.
I love John Oliver and have seen said bit and agree. Its like Watergate but dumber and what makes me sad is that this doesn’t change anything. It could be 100% the same thing and it is still unlikely that anything will happen to Trump. A non significant portion of the public will still believe him and want him to remain president.
Old 21 June 2017, 01:31 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
I don't know the story arc of that series after the first book, but it's a real problem in the world that very religious people think every bad thing that happens is just part of God's plan, and the world is going to end in their lifetimes no matter what they do. So if they really believe that way, then it makes sense for them to be complacent and let the world burn rather than doing anything tangible to try to make it better. Left Behind is a representation of how tens of millions of American Christian voters actually perceive the world.
All this talk of Left Behind...well I'd originally intended to post a link to the Index Slacktivist had set up. But the index isn't around, forcing me to link to tagged posts. Ah well, it'll still serve as a massive timesuck. You're welcome, guys.
Old 21 June 2017, 02:33 AM

It's right here, I think, Mouse.

ETA: I'm not sure some of the later stuff is in there.
Old 22 June 2017, 12:57 AM

Mouse

Thanks. For some reason, I couldn't find it. Always helpful to have nerds on the Internet to turn to.
Old 22 June 2017, 06:48 PM

Default Trump: I Did Not Record Conversations With James Comey

President Donald Trump on Thursday tweeted that he did not record his conversations with then-FBI Director James Comey, putting to rest one of the biggest lingering mysteries surrounding the drama between the president and the FBI head he later dismissed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/poli...-comey-n775576