3. Longfellow

4. Society of Friends

5. No clue

6. Montreal

7. All had a handicap of some sort
Old 15 June 2017, 02:16 PM

Reading

Quote:
1. Mileva Maric, a Serbian physicist, is best known for her marriage to what other scientist?

2. A July 23, 1985 press conference announced the return to shelves of what product, after an absence of nearly three months?

3. In 1771, what poet was buried outside St. Giles' parish church in Stoke Poges, England, the exact setting of his most famous work?

4. What society was divided into three distinct classes: jarls, karls, and thralls?

5. A trio called The Heads recorded their only album in 1996, after what frontman left the band and showed no interest in a reunion?

6. In what city would you find McGill University, perhaps its nation's most prestigious university?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these composers? Bartok, Beethoven, Borodin, Debussy, Faure, Ligeti, Messiaen, Mussorgsky, Offenbach, Schumann, Ravi Shankar, Arthur Sullivan.
1. I want to say Tesla but I know that isn't correct....
2. "Old" Coke
3. IDK
4. Viking?
5. Talking Heads - David Byrne = The Heads
6. Montreal
7. They're listed in alphabetical order
Old 15 June 2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I depend on Musicgeek to know the answer.

Seaboe
Aghhh! The pressure! Nothing's springing immediately to mind, but I'll give it some thought.
Old 16 June 2017, 03:25 PM

#3 could only be Thomas Gray. He died of allergies in a country church yard.
Old 20 June 2017, 09:24 AM

Happy Tuesday, aka Triviaday.

Ken Jennings writes:
Hey, it's the first Tuesday Trivia of summer! (In the Northern Hemisphere.) I hope you enjoy reading this week's quiz on the screen of your computer or other device. (In the Northern Hemisphere.) (Aussies: I know you have to have someone in the developed world print out the quiz and mail it to you, and there's nothing wrong with that.)

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Mileva Maric, a Serbian physicist, is best known for her marriage to what other scientist?
Maric wasn't just Albert Einstein's fellow student, she was also his first wife.

2. A July 23, 1985 press conference announced the return to shelves of what product, after an absence of nearly three months?
The Coca-Cola Company announced that their original formula would be returning as Coca-Cola Classic, after a massive backlash against "New Coke."

3. In 1771, what poet was buried outside St. Giles' parish church in Stoke Poges, England, the exact setting of his most famous work?
Thomas Gray is now buried in the very same country churchyard where he was inspired to produce his "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard."

4. What society was divided into three distinct classes: jarls, karls, and thralls?
If you were a Viking, you were either a jarl (a chief or noble), a karl (landowners, freeman and merchants), or a thrall (a serf or slave).

5. A trio called The Heads recorded their only album in 1996, after what frontman left the band and showed no interest in a reunion?
David Byrne sued his former bandmates for using a name he felt was too reminiscent of The Talking Heads. "This is not my beautiful band!" he said, in a surprised voice.

6. In what city would you find McGill University, perhaps its nation's most prestigious university?
In beautiful Montreal, Canada.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these composers? Bartok, Beethoven, Borodin, Debussy, Faure, Ligeti, Messiaen, Mussorgsky, Offenbach, Schumann, Ravi Shankar, Arthur Sullivan.
Ah, the kind of esoteric classical music Question Seven that all Tuesday Trivia players always look forward to! Among their (in most cases considerable) bodies of work, these composers each managed to write only one opera. I disqualified comic operettas in several cases (notably Arthur Sullivan's) as well as some unfinished works. If you demand more classical music on Question Seven, keep those cards and letters coming!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Alexa is a San Francisco-based company best known for ranking the popularity of what?

2. What's the world's longest river that has no bridges across it?

3. What term from mythology is used for immature insects (grasshoppers, cockroaches, and so forth) who look like their adult counterparts, but lack wings?

4. Every Olympic athlete to medal in individual dressage since Sven Rothenberger took bronze in 1996 has had what in common?

5. Which of the four cast members of TV's The Golden Girls didn't return for the follow-up series, The Golden Palace?

6. What nation entered its "Warring States" period between 475 and 221 BC?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these actors? Jeff Bridges, Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Hopkins, Hugh Jackman, Dwayne Johnson, Bob Odenkirk, Brad Pitt, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Enjoy!
Old 20 June 2017, 09:30 AM

3. What term from mythology is used for immature insects (grasshoppers, cockroaches, and so forth) who look like their adult counterparts, but lack wings?

Nymph.
Old 20 June 2017, 11:11 AM

3. is the only one I had an immediate answer for too, but I was going to go with imago!
Old 20 June 2017, 11:42 AM

6 is China
Old 20 June 2017, 12:01 PM

My gut reaction tells me #4 is that they are all female.
Old 20 June 2017, 12:13 PM

1. Alexa is a San Francisco-based company best known for ranking the popularity of what?

Website visitors/traffic
Old 20 June 2017, 02:17 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Women. Actually, while I feel I should know this due to discussions on this very board, I have no clue.
Quote:

No permanent bridges, or no bridges at all? Not that it matters, because my lack of geographical knowledge dooms me to getting this one wrong. Although, of course, I have an answer--the Clearwater.
Quote:

is this what they mean by the crossword favorite, imago?
Quote:

4. Every Olympic athlete to medal in individual dressage since Sven Rothenberger took bronze in 1996 has had what in common?
They've been women.
Quote:

5. Which of the four cast members of TV's The Golden Girls didn't return for the follow-up series, The Golden Palace?
Bea Arthur. Not that I ever watched either show.
Quote:

Greece
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these actors? Jeff Bridges, Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Hopkins, Hugh Jackman, Dwayne Johnson, Bob Odenkirk, Brad Pitt, Arnold Schwarzenegger.
But not necessarily in that order.They are all best known for playing characters from well-known novels (although that doesn't really work for Johnny or Hugh, I suppose).

Seaboe
Old 20 June 2017, 02:28 PM

Icon103

Quote:

1. Amazon item rankings?
2. Snake River, according to all the times Jim drowned whilst we tried fording it in Oregon Trail
3. Nymph
4. They've all hunted Proletariat for sport. And are women.
5. 1/4 chance... Bea Arthur?
6. Sparta?
7. Definitely not Oscar-related... something to do with remakes? Or longest-running franchises? Jeff Bridges was in Tron; Johnny Depp in Pirates...; RDJ in Iron Man (first of the MCU); Hopkins came back to play Hannibal twice...; Jackman as Wolverine/Logan; The Rock in the Fast & Furious; Bob Odenkirk came back for the Breaking Bad spinoff...?; Brad Pitt...?; Schwarzenegger came back for Terminator:Jynuhzizzz or whatever.
I don't think it's the complete answer....
Old 20 June 2017, 02:33 PM

OnlyHere, my answer to #2 is a tributary of your answer.

Seaboe
Old 20 June 2017, 06:36 PM

Baseball

1. Websites

2. Given its length and location, I'm going with the McKenzie River in northern Canada

3. I should know this one, but I don't.

4. They are left handed.

5. No clue, 1 chance out of 4... Betty White.

6. Greece.

7. They have all starred in sequels that were more popular than the original. (big guess)
Old 22 June 2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Nymph
Quote:
All are female
Quote:
Bea Arthur
Old 27 June 2017, 02:01 PM

Hi, all. The quiz arrived later than usual in my Inbox this morning. Here it (finally) is:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Websites. Alexa's top-ranked sites in terms of global traffic numbers are currently Google, Youtube, and Facebook. Take that, Baidu.

The Amazon is arguably the world's longest river, period--and it's not crossed by a single bridge. (Its longest tributary, the Rio Negro, got a bridge at Manaus in 2011.) This has nothing to do with the engineering problems of building a bridge over the Amazon; the river just happens to be located in a vast rainforest where no one wants to cross it anyway.

Some insects go egg->nymph->adult instead of egg->larva->pupa->adult.

He was the last man to win an individual dressage medal; for the last twenty years, the medalists have all been women. In all the Olympic equestrian events, men and women compete together.

Betty White, Rue McClanahan, and Estelle Getty all returned. And then there's Maude! Bea Arthur was done playing Dorothy Zbornak.

China spent over 250 years at war with itself between the Spring and Autumn Period and the founding of the Qin Dynasty.

Each has been digitally de-aged on screen--that is, given a CGI facelift to appear younger--for a particular movie or TV role or flashback.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The best known sculpture by Cellini and the best known painting of Gericault both name-check what monster from Greek myth?

2. In the eastern bloc countries during the Cold War, what were the companies Lada, Skoda, and Trabant best known for?

3. Hippocrates coined the word "carcinoma" after seeing a tumor that looked like what animal?

4. What astronomical term has been used by legal thinkers since the 1870s to refer to the set of rights implied, but not explicitly stated, in the U.S. Constitution?

5. Who is the only person ever to sing lead vocals on a James Bond opening title song who has since passed away?

6. What country moved its seat of government 20 miles south to the planned city of Putrajaya in 1999?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these literary works? Ain't I a Woman, The Black Stallion, Bonjour Tristesse, Eragon, "An Essay on Criticism," Frankenstein, The Monk, My Brilliant Career, The Neon Bible, The Outsiders, A Season in Hell, Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair.

Enjoy!
Old 27 June 2017, 02:16 PM

2. In the eastern bloc countries during the Cold War, what were the companies Lada, Skoda, and Trabant best known for? Making (bad) cars.

3. Hippocrates coined the word "carcinoma" after seeing a tumor that looked like what animal? I'm going to guess a crab.

4. What astronomical term has been used by legal thinkers since the 1870s to refer to the set of rights implied, but not explicitly stated, in the U.S. Constitution? Nebulous rights?
Old 27 June 2017, 02:18 PM

2. In the eastern bloc countries during the Cold War, what were the companies Lada, Skoda, and Trabant best known for?

Car manufacturing

3. Hippocrates coined the word "carcinoma" after seeing a tumor that looked like what animal?

A crab
Old 27 June 2017, 02:33 PM

Baseball 1 for 7 this week

1. Guessing Medusa

2. Cars that burned dirty, had horrible heaters, but could take a beating driving through potholed city streets.

3. A Snail?

4. Inalienable?

5. I only know of Adele, Sheena Easton, Madonna and Duran Duran. They are all alive. I have no clue.

6. I dunno. Indonesia

7. All became a plot element in a movie that was not based on that literary work.

Last edited by UEL; 27 June 2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 27 June 2017, 02:34 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The best known sculpture by Cellini and the best known painting of Gericault both name-check what monster from Greek myth?
Medusa, because it's the first one I thought of.
Quote:

Four wheeled vehicles that masqueraded as cars.
Quote:

A crab.
Quote:

4. What astronomical term has been used by legal thinkers since the 1870s to refer to the set of rights implied, but not explicitly stated, in the U.S. Constitution?
Orbit (ha, ha). I think it's really constellation.
Quote:

5. Who is the only person ever to sing lead vocals on a James Bond opening title song who has since passed away?
Shirley Bassey? That's the first person I think of when I hear "lead vocals on a James Bond title song."
Quote:

6. What country moved its seat of government 20 miles south to the planned city of Putrajaya in 1999?
Bangladesh?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these literary works? Ain't I a Woman, The Black Stallion, Bonjour Tristesse, Eragon, "An Essay on Criticism," Frankenstein, The Monk, My Brilliant Career, The Neon Bible, The Outsiders, A Season in Hell, Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair.
They were all inspired by a contest.

Seaboe