snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 03 December 2015, 11:15 PM

Default Is HULU worth it?

I have Netflix, and plan to keep it, but I've been a bit underwhelmed at its selection of late.

I've started looking at HULU, and wonder if anyone out there in snopesterland has it? Is it worth it?

I know I can watch Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Rick and Morty episodes that I've missed, which I can't do on Netflix, so it already has that feather in its cap for me.
Old 03 December 2015, 11:21 PM

Computer

I currently have a subscription to Hulu and rather enjoy it. It does not have as many movies as Netflix, but if you want to watch every season of a show in a spaced out blur (like I have done and will do), then it is a good option.

I currently am on Season two of "Horrible Histories (UK)" and have just finished watching 6 seasons of "Project Runway".

So -- it depends what you want to watch.

Good luck!
Old 03 December 2015, 11:52 PM

For a while I had access to it, and found a number of interesting things. What I particularly enjoyed was getting to try obscure things, like documentaries I would never have had a chance to see. However, i found the indexing annoying, and the navigation annoyingly slow.
Old 04 December 2015, 01:05 AM

You do know there's a lot of free content on Hulu already, including the most recent several episodes of many of the shows they carry? They've made this less obvious recently, putting their weeklong free trial in huge text on the home screen and a tiny link to their free content at the way bottom.

Anyway, I think the answer to your question depends on how much content they have that you would want to watch that isn't already available to you elsewhere. I think there's a website that tells you which shows each streaming service has so you can decide which one covers the most of what you like, but I can't remember what it's called; maybe someone else here knows of it?
Old 04 December 2015, 09:56 AM

I have Amazon Prime for the video streaming and use the free Hulu. Hulu has ads, and Amazon doesn't. I won't pay for an ad-based service on principle. It's pretty good for my purposes, faster than Hulu, and has good selection.
Old 04 December 2015, 02:29 PM

I dropped satellite recently, and went to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Sling TV, and a tuner card in my computer. This has saved me about $100 a month. I have them each for different reasons - I'll start with Hulu since that is the most relevant.

Hulu - we got it so that we could watch shows that are currently airing. We pay the extra couple of bucks a month for the commercial free version, and find it well worth it. Hulu is where we can watch things like Comedy Central shows. It is also very convenient as a replacement for the DVR. We generally don't watch anything live, so it isn't a problem to wait for the next day. If you have the commercial free option, you don't have to fast forward like you do with a DVR. The biggest drawback is that some episodes go away after a while. You can't start up 10 episodes into a new season and be able to watch them all.

Netflix We have it because we've always had it. It's a money sink at this point, because we watch maybe 10 hours a year on it. But my wife seems to think we still need it, and she will find things to watch on it, so we keep it. I think the next time I know we will watch Netflix is when Z Nation is available next year - my wife is also a zombie nut.

Amazon - comes free with Prime. We watch the occasional show on there, but not much more often than Netflix. I'm glad I've seen The Man in the High Castle, but I wouldn't pay for this if not for the Prime shipping.

SlingTV - gets us the cable channels that are not on Hulu. This includes Disney, Cartoon Network, TNT, AMC, and a few others. We have it mostly to watch the shows on AMC (zombie nut again!), Star Wars shows on Disney, and general channel surfing. Some things are available on demand there, and some aren't. It is technologically the worst we use, as they still haven't worked out all of the bugs, but the content and the price are great - it is the cable networks most people care about streamed over the internet for $20 a month.

TV Tuner card - I refuse to pay CBS almost as much as I pay Hulu to get their one channel, so I have to have this set up. We use it to record Colbert, Supergirl, and some syndicated shows. A bit of a pain to stream to the main TV, but better than the CBS app.

Far and away, we use Hulu more than anything else. Sling is a distant second.
Old 04 December 2015, 08:10 PM

Those that have dropped satellite, how do you watch Hulu (or Netflix)? On your PC, or on your TV? I like the idea of saving money and I have an HD tv (a smart tv) so I think I could just navigate to Netflix or Hulu via the TV if I dropped DirecTV but I'm a little chicken.

I watch shows like RHOC, House Hunters, The Walking Dead, but want to get Hulu because next year they're airing "11/22/63".

Are those shows available on Netflix or Hulu?
Old 04 December 2015, 08:13 PM

Yeah I decided to go on and give Hulu a try. Catching up on Adventure Time and Steven Universe is worth it to me. lol

And they have all episodes of the original Addams Family and Lost in Space. Yay!

But, once I've searched out a show and marked it as a favorite, how do I find my favorites again?

And Reading Girl, I don't know about the other shows you asked about, but I know that all current seasons of Walking Dead are on Netflix (not including the most recent episodes, of course).
Old 04 December 2015, 08:48 PM

Reading Girl - RHOC would be available on Hulu. New episodes of House Hunters and TWD would not be. They are available on SlingTV - more expensive than Hulu at $20 a month, but a heck of a lot cheaper than DirecTV. I understand being nervous about cutting the cord - you definitely have to have more of a plan than with satellite. It took me quite a while, and the addition of new services like Sling, to convince my wife to go for it.

I personally watch through an XBox One on one TV, and an Amazon Fire Stick on another. I would be fairly confident that a smart TV would have apps for all of them.

TGG - finding favorites is always a hassle for me, and I've given up using them. The interface on the XBox One starts with featured, then one row down has choices like TV series, movies, etc... The next line down is "Shows You Watch". I just go that row and find what I'm watching there. It is a bit annoying that something you try out but don't continue hangs around, but eventually they fall to the end of the list.
Old 04 December 2015, 08:51 PM

We have and love the paid version of Hulu. In addition to most of our usual network shows (Flash, Arrow, iZombie, The Daily How, The Nightly Show, et al.), we've also watched Horrible Histories (UK) along with The Wrong Mans and Moone Boy, both of which are billed as Hulu Originals but actually originated in the UK. Recently, I also added the commercial free and Showtime add-in options and am loving both.

Thing is, though, we still also have Netflix and Amazon because, as some others have said, each one seems to have something the others don't. Netflix has everything it has plus Daredevil and Jessica Jones, which, to me are worth the price of admission, and Amazon has everything it has plus Man in the High Castle.
Old 04 December 2015, 08:59 PM

I like it. The selection is limited, but in different ways than Netflix. If you're trying to replace cable, it's much better than Netflix or Amazon Prime for following new episodes of current shows.

If you do get it, pay extra for the ad-free version, which is what Hulu Plus should have been all along. For a while I wasn't watching Hulu and considered cancelling it, because the frequent unskippable ads made it my absolute last resort for watching anything. But now with no ads I am watching it again, and it's sometimes a more convenient option even if I've DVRed the same show.

Amazon is worth it for the free 2 day shipping alone. That's why I have it. I buy so much stuff on Amazon now. But every once in a while they'll be the only source for a good show, including sometimes their original content, so that's a nice bonus to a service that was already worth it.

Netflix is well worth it, especially with their growing collection of well made original series, and there's no chance of me dropping it any time soon. But I do have to agree with you about the non-original content feeling stagnant lately. I keep an eye on the new additions and sometimes it seems very few and far between these days that they add anything new that I'd want to watch. They seem to mostly add commercially and critically unsuccessful films from 5 years ago, and godawful reality series that nobody has ever heard of. I like the idea of their foreign film selection, but in practice subtitles mean I can't multitask, so the bar is set much higher if I have to devote 100% of my focus to watching. They're decent when it comes to low budget documentaries and indie films with no theatrical release, but those are inherently niche, so they need to be added a lot of them since only a fraction are likely to appeal to individual subscribers. The pace of new ones seems far too slow to consistently have anything to watch.

Last edited by Errata; 04 December 2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04 December 2015, 09:37 PM

Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
But, once I've searched out a show and marked it as a favorite, how do I find my favorites again?
I access Hulu through a browser. While using a browser you can find your favorites by mousing over your log-in name in the upper right corner of the screen. In the drop down menu that appears click on "favorites". A list of your favorites will come up. You can also edit your preferences for these favorites there.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Morning; 04 December 2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: fix error