snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 31 October 2016, 03:08 PM

Tsk, Tsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
That's not your chair, it's the cat's chair . . .
That's what I keep telling DH, but does he listen? Nooooooooo
Old 07 November 2016, 09:00 PM

My TYSHTTY - that when my friend texts me asking how my weekend was, and I reply it was good, I enjoyed having some alone time, I should NOT then ask how her weekend was. Because she will reply in detail in a text message which fills up my whole phone screen of some drama (there's always drama). I wonder if she thinks my life is perfect, just because I don't share everything that happens.

tl;dr - don't ask open-ended questions of certain people
Old 08 November 2016, 03:05 PM

Glasses

Reading Girl, even if you asked about a specific event you know she attended, you'd probably get a detailed text message. Some people are just like that.

Seaboe
Old 08 November 2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reading Girl View Post
Because she will reply in detail in a text message which fills up my whole phone screen
Maybe she knows you really like reading and she's just trying to supply you with fresh stories?
Old 13 November 2016, 09:34 PM

Don't eat a party sized bag of Maltesers when you're lactose intolerant. It will get you in the end.
Old 13 November 2016, 11:35 PM

Icon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twankydillo View Post
Don't eat a party sized bag of Maltesers when you're lactose intolerant. It will get you in the end.
literally?
Old 13 November 2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
literally?
https://youtu.be/8qSkaAwKMD4
ETA/ this song is only relevant because I turn into a Viking when I eat chocolate. Sad but true story. Also because it metions being got in the end, literally.

Last edited by Twankydillo; 14 November 2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 15 November 2016, 05:05 AM

Your circular saw works a LOT better if the blade is in the right way around!

.... which you really should have realised 6 months ago when you bought it and first installed the blade.

(To be fair I've only used it a handful of times since then, and usually only to make small cuts. Today was the first time I'd used it extensively and the penny dropped pretty quickly. Still, that was a DUMB mistake.)
Old 15 November 2016, 01:59 PM

GM, years ago, when I first acquired a computer, I also got my first printer. The printer, when I first set it up, refused to work.

It worked a lot better when I took the ink cartridges out and put them back in right side up, though . . .
Old 15 November 2016, 02:21 PM

D'oh!

If you get on a crowded bus and there are several empty seats surrounding a particular individual, do not take one of those seats.
Old 15 November 2016, 02:40 PM

Rank or rant?
Old 15 November 2016, 03:25 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
If you get on a crowded bus and there are several empty seats surrounding a particular individual, do not take one of those seats.
I read this part: "If you get on a crowded bus" as "If you get a crowbar" and was very confused for a moment.

Seaboe
Old 15 November 2016, 05:19 PM

Icon202

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Rank or rant?
He was talking a great deal without making much sense - kind of to himself, but apparently trying to get others engaged. Exclaimed "oh my God" or "oh shit" a lot as if he just saw or realized something wrong. At one point he poked at me and asked something I eventually understood as "Shore Road". I initially said I didn't know, but remembered that there is a Shore Road sometime after my stop, so amended that to "you have a way to go". Not sure which answer hit his brain first.

When I got up to leave he waived a driver's license in my direction. It could have been his, but the picture was terrible. He was acting as if I dropped it. I am a white man with longish gray hair; he (like the picture) was a black man with little or no hair. I said it wasn't mine.
Old 15 November 2016, 05:42 PM

I'm reminded how privileged I am to ride an express bus full of commuters. It doesn't eliminate the weirdness but it sure cuts down on it. Mostly everyone's asleep, or reading, or listening to something (with earbuds/headphones).

Occasionally we get someone who only sees/reads part of the bus sign, and thinks it's a local bus headed to the same destination. They usually find out they're wrong when they're asked to pay the extra fare, but there is a route to the same destination that's priced as an express but functions more like a local. So occasionally they figure out the problem after we're en route, maybe even after we get on the freeway. Then they usually have no choice but to ride to the destination, where they can catch the bus they were looking for originally, but in the other direction. Probably adds an hour or more to their trip, in addition to the wasted extra far, so unsurprisingly they're usually not very happy.

One guy tried to convince the bus driver to let him off while we were stopped at a light on our way to the freeway. We were in center lane. The bus driver was very patient about explaining that no, he could not let the passenger off in the middle of traffic, especially at rush hour.
Old 15 November 2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'm reminded how privileged I am to ride an express bus full of commuters. It doesn't eliminate the weirdness but it sure cuts down on it. Mostly everyone's asleep, or reading, or listening to something (with earbuds/headphones).

Occasionally we get someone who only sees/reads part of the bus sign, and thinks it's a local bus headed to the same destination. They usually find out they're wrong when they're asked to pay the extra fare, but there is a route to the same destination that's priced as an express but functions more like a local. So occasionally they figure out the problem after we're en route, maybe even after we get on the freeway. Then they usually have no choice but to ride to the destination, where they can catch the bus they were looking for originally, but in the other direction. Probably adds an hour or more to their trip, in addition to the wasted extra far, so unsurprisingly they're usually not very happy.

One guy tried to convince the bus driver to let him off while we were stopped at a light on our way to the freeway. We were in center lane. The bus driver was very patient about explaining that no, he could not let the passenger off in the middle of traffic, especially at rush hour.
I used to take an express bus with added fare. It was so relaxing compared to being mashed on the streetcar and I got to meet some nice people that lived in my neighbourhood. One day, I was at the stop to go home, chatting with one of these people and the bus came. We hopped on and next thing I know it's headed for the expressway (our route was strictly by streets). Oops, wrong express bus. We were used to the added fare, so that wasn't a trigger. Too busy talking to notice the route # or that the people on the bus weren't our regulars. Luckily she had a taxi chit so we got off at the first available stop and cabbed it. Would have added about an hour or so onto my trip if I'd had to transit back.
Old 16 November 2016, 02:01 AM

Hey self-
It's been a long day. You felt like crap for most of it and didn't eat anything substantial until around 4:30.

You've poured yourself a nice big glass of wine, and cut up some bread with cheese spread on it.

Don't consume both completely within 5-10 minutes Now I'm in that eerie mode right before the alcohol kicks in but you know it's on its way....

Love,
self
Old 17 November 2016, 12:06 AM

To self: it's none of your business if others put up their Christmas tree and have decorated their house. If it makes them happy why do you care? Sigh. It's not like a actually care exactly but I admit it I hate the way some people jump the season. Don't they get sick of that tree?
Old 17 November 2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
To self: it's none of your business if others put up their Christmas tree and have decorated their house. If it makes them happy why do you care? Sigh. It's not like a actually care exactly but I admit it I hate the way some people jump the season. Don't they get sick of that tree?
I don't think you are alone in that. Christmas decoration are great for small periods I think.
Old 17 November 2016, 04:27 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I don't think you are alone in that. Christmas decoration are great for small periods I think.

If I had my way 24-26 December...Bah! caramels!
Old 17 November 2016, 01:04 PM

Meanwhile I'm rooting for people and cities and downtown buildings to put up their lights, already, because dammit the days are too short and I need all the light I can get.