snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 29 August 2016, 10:10 PM

I'm pretty sure I flew without providing ID during the 80s. The first time I recall it being essential was in the mid-1990s.
Old 30 August 2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
My daughter boarded a plane without legal id just last year. Regardless, I've never seen Id required at the boarding gate.
It often is for international flights. Besides, what is required at the boarding gate is pretty irrelevant since it is getting through the much more rigorous (and manned by a federal agencies and not airline employees) security checkpoint that is the issue.
Old 30 August 2016, 12:42 AM

Cervus asked about checking id at the boarding gate. I've never had my id checked at the boarding gate, not even on an International flight.
Old 30 August 2016, 12:49 AM

Perhaps it depends on the airline but travelling internationally on Air Canada I have always had to produce ID at the boarding gate, in my case it's been a passport but AFAIK it definitely has to be a government issued ID that includes a photograph.
Old 30 August 2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'm pretty sure I flew without providing ID during the 80s. The first time I recall it being essential was in the mid-1990s.
ID requirements started as a security measure during the first gulf war. Prior to that, it was fairly common to buy/sell/trade airline tickets, as the name on the ticket was irrelevant.

I have been asked for ID both at the initial security checkpoint and at the gate, but only for international flights.
Old 30 August 2016, 01:44 AM

I vaguely remember when I was booking travel for people at a former job, and we started having to make sure that the ticket was issued in the same name that appeared on the license. I had one co-worker who went by Larry; his full name, which appeared on his license, was Lorenzo.
Old 30 August 2016, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Cervus asked about checking id at the boarding gate.
It doesn't have to be that specific. I did not get on a plane as an adult until 2006; prior to that I had only flown as a minor who didn't require ID for domestic flights (though I remember a bit of a problem at Delta check-in circa 1997 when my parents were asked to prove I was their child, and they didn't have any proof but we were allowed to board anyway). So prior to 2006 I don't recall when or where you showed ID, if you had to.
Old 30 August 2016, 02:32 AM

In the early to mid 80s I would often go to the local airport to watch planes and people. An Id was not required to get to the boarding gate. Only a ticket was required to board. I don't remember if one had to show Id when checking in at the front counter though, but I don't think so.
Old 30 August 2016, 03:28 AM

Baseball

1989 Toronto to Winnipeg, I did not need to show any form of ID. I had a ticket from a travel agent, went to the counter, got my boarding pass and then through security and onto the plane. All in about 30 minutes.

Nowadays in Canada (from someone who flies a lot), you need to show ID when getting the boarding passes (and if you are not doing that in person, when you drop luggage). And, if you are flying domestic, you need to show photo ID at the gate (regulation) and if it is international, it is your passport you will show at the gate.

I'll tell you that flying out of Ben Gurion requires multiple ID checks.
Old 30 August 2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I vaguely remember when I was booking travel for people at a former job, and we started having to make sure that the ticket was issued in the same name that appeared on the license. I had one co-worker who went by Larry; his full name, which appeared on his license, was Lorenzo.
I've had that problem with "Jim" versus "James" on my tickets. TSA gets very annoyed when the name on my ID doesn't exactly match the name on my ticket.
Old 30 August 2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
My daughter boarded a plane without legal id just last year. Regardless, I've never seen Id required at the boarding gate.
As Jimmy pointed out, often needed for international flights, but my experience is the passports were needed so the airline could verify we'd be able to get into the country at the destination end.

Airlines get a little concerned if the traveler doesn't have the proper identification (passport and maybe visa) to enter the destination country and the airline has to carry the passenger back to the origination point.

I do agree, most times I've not had to show the ID at the boarding gate, but sometimes, it does happen....did that at Amsterdam a few days ago.

The number of ID checks depend on the airport. Most US airports, the only ID check is TSA, going into screening, and yes, if someone is checking luggage and getting a board pass at the check-in counter, especially international flights.

Outside the United States, I've encountered airports with up to three ID checks and baggage x-ray systems. Xray of everything to enter the airport and the ID at the check-in counter. Xray of all carry-on and ID check prior to immigrations, ID check at immigrations to clear exit immigrations and then a final ID check and xray of carry-on - to enter the board gate area.

Last edited by UrbanLegends101; 30 August 2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 30 August 2016, 01:54 PM

Airplane

In late 1984 I definitely flew cross-country, N.Y.C. to L.A. and back with stopovers both ways, and showed no I.D. The tickets were originally intended for someone else who couldn't go, and it would have cost too much to switch to my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
She goes to a friend's house, the friend writes her a $1000 check, which she cashes in for a bus ticket and a plane ticket to Maine.
Cashing a check for $1000 in 1985 without ID may have been much more difficult, though.
Old 30 August 2016, 02:43 PM

If it had been me, I'd have gone to the bank where my friend had her account.
Old 01 September 2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I've had that problem with "Jim" versus "James" on my tickets. TSA gets very annoyed when the name on my ID doesn't exactly match the name on my ticket.
Who are you? Who who, who who?

UEL--I can't imagine why you'd need all those IDs!

Dawn-I really wanna know!--Storm.
Old 03 September 2016, 04:32 PM

I need some help from you wise snopesians. Trying to sell my house and the buyer's due diligence report and termite report (I haven't seen the termite report) says "dirt tube at left corner [of chimney] indicates wood insect activity."

As I said, I haven't seen the termite report nor have I been in the attic to see for myself (physically I cannot get up there, it's more of a half-attic).

So I want to get someone out here to check this out and if there is wood insect i.e. termite activity, get it taken care of. But money is VERY tight and that's why I'm selling my house, I can't afford it anymore since I got divorced.

So my stupid question is, will a pest company come out and give me a free estimate? If it needs to be taken care of I hope there will be some money from the sale of the house and it will go toward that. But before I go calling someone to come out, I don't want to be stupid and ask "Will you come out for free?". Thanks in advance!
Old 03 September 2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reading Girl View Post
I need some help from you wise snopesians. Trying to sell my house and the buyer's due diligence report and termite report (I haven't seen the termite report) says "dirt tube at left corner [of chimney] indicates wood insect activity."

As I said, I haven't seen the termite report nor have I been in the attic to see for myself (physically I cannot get up there, it's more of a half-attic).

So I want to get someone out here to check this out and if there is wood insect i.e. termite activity, get it taken care of. But money is VERY tight and that's why I'm selling my house, I can't afford it anymore since I got divorced.

So my stupid question is, will a pest company come out and give me a free estimate? If it needs to be taken care of I hope there will be some money from the sale of the house and it will go toward that. But before I go calling someone to come out, I don't want to be stupid and ask "Will you come out for free?". Thanks in advance!
Speaking from my own experience, I had a pest company come out earlier this year and they did a free initial inspection and estimate.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 03 September 2016, 07:03 PM

That's what I wanted to know, thank you Bill. I'll be sure to confirm they will do that when I call to set up an appointment, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't out of line in asking.
Old 03 September 2016, 08:30 PM

I see ads for pest control companies advertising free estimates all the time. I don't think it's at all out of line to ask.
Old 03 September 2016, 08:52 PM

Just so you know "dirt tube at left corner [of chimney] indicates wood insect activity" is not proof of an infestation. There are several kinds of bugs that make tubes. You really need a professional to check things out, preferably one that doesn't want to sell you $10K worth of termite treatment.

I now it is costly, but talk to your real estate agent and have them suggest a inspector they trust. The seller needs a reliable inspection just as much as the buyer does. You can also ask your realtor if the buyer's inspector is reliable.
Old 03 September 2016, 10:55 PM

Inspired by a less than prefect trip to the Renaissance fair; is it illegal to be drunk in public while supervising two pre-school children? I mean dad and grandma pushing a couple of kids in a stroller while the adults are staggering drunk.
Closed Thread