snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 03 September 2015, 07:36 PM

Baseball

This made me happy yesterday - I work downtown so fair amount of traffic, pedestrians crossing streets, etc. When I left work yesterday and was waiting to cross the street, I saw a group of young guys (mid- to late-teens) run across the intersection across from me. When they reached the other side, one of them executed a perfect running front flip. It was so unexpected but brilliant! I would have applauded if my hands hadn't been full.
Old 03 September 2015, 09:03 PM

I didn't know wether (and neither does my autocorrect) but I figured from context it was a boy sheep.
Old 03 September 2015, 09:30 PM

Most of a boy sheep.
Old 04 September 2015, 02:21 PM

Glasses

Ferdinand's ear is much less red this morning, so his medicine is helping.

Seaboe
Old 05 September 2015, 04:02 PM

I'm drawing a map for an old-school computer game. I had no idea what size or shape the game map was, so I started by drawing a conveniently-sized grid on a piece of A4, and stuck the start square at random more or less in the middle.

Now that I've reached all four edges of the map, it turns out I got it almost exactly right. The map is 16*16 screens, and I happened to draw a 16*20 grid. The position where I put the start square means that the left, right and top edges line up exactly with my grid, and there's a bit spare at the bottom. It's very satisfying!

I mapped a different game earlier, in a similar way, and had to wrap around the edges and put the occasional square that wouldn't fit as a "continuation" in a different place. That game had less regular maps, so it kind of worked, but it would have been a nuisance on the game I'm currently playing.

Playing old-school games makes me happy in general, really. The game in question is Sabre Wulf, a classic Spectrum game. I didn't play it much at the time as we had a BBC, so I only played it occasionally at a friend's house. It's great, though. If you like old-school games and have an XBox One, get the Rare Replay compilation. (It's got games from a timespan of over 30 years, so there are modern ones on it too - get it anyway!)

I took a photo to show how well it fitted, but Photobucket's not working. It would have been a bit unnecessary anyway.
Old 05 September 2015, 08:16 PM

I mapped out every area in the classic "Gold Box" Dungeons & Dragons games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Secret of the Silver Blades - didn't get to do Pools of Darkness because it was glitched, alas, so that one remains on my "to do" list, probably never to get done), as well as several other games. Mapping is a curiously satisfying task in and of itself, and yes, I agree, when you blind-map something and it turns out you've perfectly or almost-perfectly positioned it on your paper.... ahhh!
Old 05 September 2015, 08:48 PM

I'm in a retro-advertising Facebook group, and after seeing a couple of print ads for 1950s mobile homes, I did some Googling and found a blog which not only contains pictures and ads of retro trailers/campers, but stories of people who've bought and restored/renovated them, many of whom live in them or rent them out. I was up way past my bedtime reading it. And loved every single minute of it.

I haz a weird.
Old 05 September 2015, 11:04 PM

After several years away from DragonCon I went back this year not as a guest but as a performer with the Atlanta Radio Theatre Company. It was nice that a number of fans told me they'd missed me.
Old 06 September 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
After several years away from DragonCon I went back this year not as a guest but as a performer with the Atlanta Radio Theatre Company. It was nice that a number of fans told me they'd missed me.
ARTC did some very impressive work at the 2007 Heinlein Centennial, and I purchased several ARTC CDs. Were you there? I have nothing but praise for you folks.
Old 06 September 2015, 12:39 AM

Mouse

Watching the 60s Batman TV show. Yeah, I know it causes my perverted brain to generate entirely too many "Batman is Gay" jokes, but it's just so damn obvious that you'd have to be made of stone to resist. But seriously, you'd have to be a churl to resist the insanity and fun of that show, which is made even better by how deadpan Adam West is about everything, no matter how insane or stupid it gets.
Old 06 September 2015, 12:41 AM

Mouse, have you ever seen the Ambiguously Gay Duo videos?
Old 06 September 2015, 12:46 AM

Five years ago, July 10, 2010 to be exact, after successfully completing my Nuclear Engineer Officer exam, I was preparing to depart the ship while it was underway in the Sea of Japan, en route Korea, and I just couldn't figure out what to do with my 200+ pages of handwritten notes. They were good notes, I'd have liked to take them with me in the event I ever did another nuke tour, but they were classified and I just couldn't. So I threw them in a drawer in the Reactor Office with all the other study materials, knowing they'd probably never be used again (hand-written, personalized gouge just tends to pile up) and within 24 hours was catapulted off the ship, en route to begin training for my deployment to Iraq.

Seasons changed, time passed by, and the weeks, became the months, became the years. I went from Iraq, to Annapolis, to Newport, to San Diego, to Bahrain. I did end up staying in the Navy and managed to screen for a second nuke tour. By sheer coincidence I got orders back to my old ship and, in a moment of nostalgia opened the drawer and lo and behold there they were, my notes! I... I teared up just a little bit when I saw them. It's been a long, strange, painful journey, but we're back together again.

*sniff* I'm so happy.
Old 06 September 2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
ARTC did some very impressive work at the 2007 Heinlein Centennial, and I purchased several ARTC CDs. Were you there? I have nothing but praise for you folks.
Yes, I was there that year. Thanks! We have five new shows available so far this year, including a new studio recording of "Blues for Johnny Raven" in which I reprise the role of Benny the Gospel. The CD won the silver Mark Tyme award last summer, and we're proud of it. If snopes doesn't mind, you can read about it at artc.org.
Old 07 September 2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I'm drawing a map for an old-school computer game.
I still remember the map I drew when I was playing the oldskool computer game 'The Covenant' on my Amstrad 6128 way back in the 80s. The map was MUCH bigger than I'd expected so I ended up sticking a whole bunch of graph sheets together in the end.

Sadly I never got to finish the game because it was impossible to win.
Old 08 September 2015, 12:23 AM

A bunny made a touchdown, complete with a leap at the goal line.

For context, the Labour Day Classic is played between Calgary and Edmonton every year and is a huge game for the provincial rivalry. The rabbit is apparently a regular resident of the stadium (there's a rabbit colony issue at the university there) but only comes out occasionally. Every time he crashes a game, the stamps win
Old 08 September 2015, 02:22 AM

This was going to be in "Little things that annoy you" but it changed. I went to the supermarket to pick up a few things on the way home. In the fruit and veg section I found fresh turmeric, which I have never seen before. After thinking about it for a bit I went back to get some and then went to the self serve check out.

I couldn't find Fresh tumeric in the touch screen menu. So I called for help and waited and waited and waited. I tried to just pay for what I had already and go but it would let me do that. So I waited and waited and waited. Finally someone came. He couldn't find it and typed it in and couldn't find it and called for some else. He tried and finally said "Just let the lady take it" So I got if for free.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. Most likely a Thai dish, a curry but I will see.
Old 08 September 2015, 11:00 AM

This goes back a few days to the "mapping of PC games" bit. I was racking my brain trying to remember this other game I mapped, and finally found it. It was a 1990-ish freeware DOS game called Vampyr: Talisman of Invocation. It didn't really need any mapping, until the very end: the maze that the titular Vampyr was in was an "invisible" maze, and I spent several hours very carefully mapping it by noting which ways I could move my character. Made the end battle easier.
Old 08 September 2015, 07:17 PM

A few weeks ago I found a t shirt on clearance in Target for a couple bucks that said "Coolest Dad Ever". I thought my son would be embarrassed to see me wearing such a thing so I bought it.

We went to Tampa Saturday and I wore the shirt, taking another to change into. My son never said a word even when a store clerk said he thought he was the coolest dad ever.

When I asked my son if the shirt embarrassed him he said, "why should it? You are the coolest dad ever."
Old 09 September 2015, 02:03 PM

Glasses

Oooh, Bob, I don't think that's a little thing. Being thought a cool dad by your son means you did it right. Congratulations.

Seaboe
Old 10 September 2015, 12:39 AM

Mouse

I've finally got a copy of Libba Bray's new book and am reading it. Hallelujah! Because the date for Lair of Dreams kept getting moved around so much that I was really wondering if she had some kind of Tite Kubo nervous breakdown or something. Whatever happened, glad it's out now.
Closed Thread