snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 13 August 2015, 01:38 AM

Icon105

I like to think the one guy was just giving me a cheerful wave, and had sufferred a horrible accident that removed all but one finger...
Old 13 August 2015, 02:45 AM

I don't think you should be deliberately driving below the speed limit. This means that driving the speed limit I'm going to drive up on you quickly, even before I realize it. It can be difficult to judge the speed of someone directly ahead of you. The perspective is such that there are fewer visible clues. It's all well and good to save five or ten cents on gas, but if you cause a large accident, you'll cost everyone much more. If that many people are giving you "waves" I imagine that you're probably traveling even more slowly than you think. Drive the speed limit. Don't be a hazard. And move over for merging traffic if possible, don't just speed up or slow down. You can get back in the right once they're safely on the highway.
Old 13 August 2015, 02:51 AM

5 mph shouldn't be so much that you drive up on him real quickly.

I do agree that people who drive considerably below the limit are a hazard even in the right lane.
Old 13 August 2015, 03:20 AM

5 MPH under is close enough to the speed limit that I agree with those who think that it's fine.

Not everybody on the road is going to drive at exactly the same speed. All drivers need to stay aware enough of their spacing to adjust for such variances in time.

Driving persistently under the speed limit on roads with only one lane in each direction and no good passing stretches can be annoying -- though in some weather conditions it may nevertheless be a good idea. On multiple-lane roads, people should have plenty of chance to pass. And IME many who pass on such roads are going well over the speed limit in any case, so they're going to pass traffic going at the speed limit, or even going 5 MPH over, in any case.
Old 13 August 2015, 03:20 AM

Gibbie, I've been driving for 45 years. I'm not exactly a rookie at this.

You'll note I wrote "when it's safe." If the road is busy, then yes, I speed up and go with the flow. If I see cars being driven by oblivous people running up behind me, I speed up some.

These people have been reacting like this even though the other two lanes of a three lane highway are wide open and available. Besides, judging the speed of the cars in front of you is part and parcel of the job of driving, I would think. I've never had a problem with it.

If it was a single lane each direction highway, I wouldn't even consider it. This is THREE LANES, no waiting.
Old 13 August 2015, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
If that many people are giving you "waves".
One person.
Old 13 August 2015, 03:15 PM

Glasses

Quote:
I don't think you should be deliberately driving below the speed limit. This means that driving the speed limit I'm going to drive up on you quickly, even before I realize it.
I disagree, to a point. I believe that if you drive up on someone quickly it shouldn't ever be "before I realize it" because that means you aren't paying sufficient attention to your driving--or you have a depth perception problem that should require you to drive more carefully.

I agree that driving below the speed limit in any lane except the right lane is wrong, and bad, and all kinds of selfish. It also depends on how far below the speed limit you are driving. Driving 65 when the speed limit is 70, in the right lane, is fine. Driving 45 when the speed limit is 60 is too slow, whether you're in the right lane or not.

All of this is dependent on traffic volumes, road conditions and weather, of course.

Seaboe
Old 13 August 2015, 03:37 PM

Driver

I've always thought the speed limit was the LIMIT but then I know I'm in the minority. I too stick to the right-hand lane and when the speed limit is 65, set my cruise-control to between 62 and 65. That is what I feel safe driving at as well as better for my fuel economy. I rarely pass anyone but feel that the world passes me. I also don't do jack-rabbit starts from stop signs or stop lights and I know this annoys people behind me. I think my engine will last longer if I accelerate like a normal person, not like Mario Andretti!
Old 13 August 2015, 04:38 PM

I'm with you, RG. I set my cruise at the speed limit, stay to the right, and don't really care if people get upset. There is one road where I set my cruise 2 miles below the limit, because if I do that I can hit every light green (this is a 60 mph road with traffic lights every mile or so). It is slightly humorous to see people doing 5-10 over passing me repeatedly as they speed to stop at the next light, then do it again.

I don't drive below the flow of traffic in any but the right lane, but I also won't drive faster than conditions permit.
Old 13 August 2015, 04:46 PM

DC, I actually recently had a similar experience. I was driving up a long and boring drive, the Highway of Death (Highway 63 to Ft. McMurray) as its lovingly refered to here. I kicked in cruise at 115 kph (speed limit is generally 100-110 there,) I just cruised down the road, just driving... it was a sunday night so traffic was light. I was passed by about 5-6 trucks. which I thought so what. I pull into Ft Mac, and the first set of lights, there are the 5-6 trucks who blew by me on the highway going so fast... I stop beside one guy who flipped me off as he passed me, I just glanced over... he was mad. what's funny is he had passed me about an hour before we got there, so there was a lot of road for him to get ahead of me.

I consider that proof that speeding doesn't get you there faster. the fact that we both got into the city at the same time.
Old 13 August 2015, 07:19 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reading Girl View Post
I also don't do jack-rabbit starts from stop signs or stop lights and I know this annoys people behind me.
How do you define jack-rabbit starts? I accelerate quickly, but I don't jack-rabbit--and yes, people who take 3 minutes to reach 30 mph annoy the heck out of me.

Seaboe
Old 14 August 2015, 01:06 AM

Not everyone's car responds in the same way. To you what seems like a slow acceleration may be pretty normal for a small engine.

I agree: the limit is the LIMIT. It is, by legal definition, the fastest anybody should be going. There are also minimum speeds on roads where that is necessary (i.e., the interstate). Those are the speeds that one may not dip below. You should not gain super quickly on anyone because while your following distance is decreasing you should immediately notice and slow down.

Obviously it is bad to impede traffic; going 20 on a 2-lane with a speed limit of 35 is rude. But to say that people who drive any slower than the limit are being rude is baffling.

On to my own annoyance:

A co-worker brought her dog to work today. She apparently had this cleared by the head honcho but did not warn anybody. She'd initially wanted to bring the dog for Take Your Dog to Work Day, apparently, but someone who worked for us was severely allergic and she didn't get permission then. So she persisted and got permission to bring the dog on some other random day when that guy was out. I think that bringing a dog to work as a surprise is not a good idea in general, but it could have at least come with some sort of emailed warning.

When she and the dog came to my desk I asked her to please take her dog back to her own office if she wanted to talk to me, and she got all irritated with me. She asked if I did not like dogs or something and said that her dog would make a lot of noise crying if he was not by her side. I do like dogs but did not feel that me giving an explanation was necessary. It was my workspace. I do not want to encounter a random dog at work (especially one that, like this one, jumps on everybody). When after my first encounter I asked my own boss about it, she said that the dog was supposed to stay in his crate all day. Said dog spent absolutely zero time in the crate.

But I was mostly irritated with the head honcho for giving her permission and not thinking it through. Asking whether the others who work there might object to having a dog at work would seem to have been smart. I actually think that if I had been shown at least that level of respect I would have been able to deal with it better.
Old 14 August 2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I don't think you should be deliberately driving below the speed limit. This means that driving the speed limit I'm going to drive up on you quickly, even before I realize it.
I don't think you should be deliberately driving, if approaching somebody on an open road in good visibility at a relative speed of 5mph is a situation that's so unexpected and happens quickly enough that you feel it's dangerous...
Old 14 August 2015, 11:01 AM

Driver

Here we go with the old "look where you're driving" arguments. I'm pretty sure I have more important things to do than look at some boring highway for minutes on end.
Old 14 August 2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Here we go with the old "look where you're driving" arguments. I'm pretty sure I have more important things to do than look at some boring highway for minutes on end.
It's true. I like to nap and let the cruise control take care of things - that way I'm rested up and not, like, disinterested when it comes time to arrive at whatever my destination is.

Highways. Pfft.
Old 14 August 2015, 01:23 PM

My brake lights once went out due to a bad fuse. I fixed the issue promptly*, but I had to drive somewhere to get the fuse. After I'd stopped at a light, a driver who'd been behind me approached me in a parking lot and yelled at me, because how was he supposed to know I was stopping when my brake lights didn't work? Apparently the red light and the line of stopped cars in front of me were not sufficient information.

*Fortunately something inside the car was on the same fuse, so I knew something was wrong. I don't check my brake lights every time I start the car (would have been hard at the time, with no other adult in the house).
Old 14 August 2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
A co-worker brought her dog to work today. She apparently had this cleared by the head honcho but did not warn anybody. She'd initially wanted to bring the dog for Take Your Dog to Work Day, apparently, but ...
I do not even get the point of allowing anyone to bring a non-service animal into most workplaces, whether its TYFTWDay or not. Sure a dog likes to be near its owner, but one day out of 250 a year is not going to make a big difference. It will be a significant distraction to many and does not even have the social value of Take Your Child to Work Day of allowing a kid to understand what his/her parent does and of showing a future adult one of the options for a productive life.

By comparison, I did have to visit and do work for a day at a law office in a large town where they kept a couple of cats in the office. They took good care, so there was no odor. I am sure someone with a cat allergy would have had problems, but for visitors like myself, there was no issue. The cats did not even interfere with work, which is a tendency of many cats (some insist on being right in the way, as snopesters have described, but it is not universal by any means). While I am generally a bit more of a dog person than a cat person - I get along well with both - this makes a lot more sense to me as cats are so much more independent and less likely to be either too friendly or too hostile to strangers.
Old 14 August 2015, 02:40 PM

Couldn't Watch the Eskimos - Alouettes game last night, but I kept tabs on it through the CFL app on my phone. around 7:35ish, I checked, and saw the score was Edmonton 10 - Montreal 12... Final. I was like damn that was close, and the Eskimos are doing good this year, I'll read the articles and recaps tomorrow to see what happened. maybe it was like last week when BC pulled it out in the dying seconds. turns out that is what happened but the other way around. it 10-12 wasn't final... the Esks won it 15-12.

DONT SAY FINAL if the game isn't over! stupid app...

(For the uninitiated the Edmonton Eskimos and Montreal Alouettes are Canadian Football League teams. While the game is similar to american football it has a lot of different rules, (12 men per side, 110 yard field, goalposts at the front of the end zone, wider field, wider hash marks (makes short wide field goals more difficult), only 3 downs, shorter play clock, among others, makes for a faster game I find)
Old 14 August 2015, 03:37 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Not everyone's car responds in the same way. To you what seems like a slow acceleration may be pretty normal for a small engine.
If your car takes 3 minutes (180 seconds) to accelerate from zero to 30 mph, I'd say that's not normal, no matter how small your engine is.

There's also a difference between saying someone deliberately driving below the speed limit is annoying, and saying they're rude. The only slow drivers I would call rude are those who squat like malevolent toads in the left lane, smug in their righteousness.

I reserve the right to be annoyed by slow accelerators just as you reserve the right to be annoyed by people who are annoyed by slow accelerators.

Seaboe
Old 14 August 2015, 04:30 PM

Football in general bugs me right now. I just started watching a couple years ago, so I'm at the point where I can follow the game but haven't picked up on the nuances yet. I can't tell if my team is playing bad (unless they're really, really bad) or just unlucky at any given time, and I don't know how much of a lead to trust. Plus, the momentum is weird. I know that's part of what makes it exciting, but for now it's irritating because I don't know how much is actual game uncertainty and how much is just my lack of football knowledge creating surprises because I can't see things coming.

It's fun to watch, but I feel like I'm missing giant chunks of the experience, and a lot of the fun of football seems to be in those gaps. It would be like watching hockey if you could only focus on the nets. You'd see the scoring and exciting plays, but you'd miss the meat of the game.
Closed Thread