snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 03 August 2015, 09:35 PM

Ladies restrooms.

Or more specifically, the ladies room(s) where I work. It's bad enough that half of the women on staff wash their hands like a 3 year old taking a bath, splashing water all over the counter and floor and mirror and wall. If someone of the wrong height leans against the counter after one of those buffoons washes up, it ends up looking like they had an accident. But the stupid automatic towel dispenser dispenses right onto the counter, where there's inevitably a huge puddle of water.

Is it so hard to use the towel after you've dried your hands to wipe up your mess on the counter?
Old 03 August 2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
He doesn't fancy you - he fancies your car! What kind of car is it?
Yeah, that guy doesn't seem into me, but the way he rubs my car and talks to it is reminiscent of "it rubs the lotion on its skin." I feel like he wants to make love to it or eat it, not drive it. And maybe murder me to get to have his way with my car.

The car is nothing all that special. Trust me. By Kelly Blue Book standards it is worth maybe $4,000.
Old 03 August 2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I understand not letting people pick a password that's too simple, but why to they have to do it for usernames as well?
Just as a jumping off point, but password requirements are one of my biggest annoyances. I have a password that I use everywhere that doesn't need to be secure - that's most places. This password is easy to remember (for me), includes capitals, numbers, and symbols, and is well over 8 characters. Then I run across a place that you can't use a special character, or can't use a number, or whatever wacky rule that particular place decided to implement (my favorite is one that the password must be between 6 and 8 characters - no more or less).

Just let me do whatever I want with my password!
Old 03 August 2015, 11:59 PM

Mouse

I keep trying to get a hold of someone in order to reschedule an appointment I had to miss last week, but I get either an error message or a busy signal. WTF?!
Old 04 August 2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Then I run across a place that you can't use a special character, or can't use a number, or whatever wacky rule that particular place decided to implement.
Yes, that annoys me too. My bank doesn't allow any characters other than alphanumeric! I have to make up special passwords that are less secure than my usual ones, and then I can never remember them.

My least favourite rule is on one of the work systems, where you're not allowed to use the same character more than twice in the password. Not more than twice consecutively, more than twice in total... It sometimes takes me four or five tries to find something that the rules will accept, and I often forget it immediately because it's the fourth variation on a particular theme and I can't remember the precise combination.

There are rules if you want to comply with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards, which is important for many businesses, and those used to be restrictive in ways that were annoying if you used the full set. But they've loosened those in the later versions of the standard (3.0 on) so that, for example, you can use XKCD's preferred password style of lots of dictionary words strung together - which would have been disallowed under the earlier rules. Basically even those rules now just say that you have to make sure that passwords for secure systems are actually secure. They don't require any of the nonsense that you sometimes see.
Old 04 August 2015, 12:13 PM

During my job search, 'helpful' web search agents (some I signed for, most not), have been sending me lots of e-mails about job listings. They all say the jobs are keyed to my qualifications. Some are reasonably on-topic, but some are wildly off. For an example, one today had the search heading 'trial attorney' and provided a link to a job as a driver for WalMart. That's not very helpful. I don't even have a CDL license.
Old 04 August 2015, 02:16 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
LTTAM: Websites that impose a minimum number of characters for your username.
Why not use WildaBeast when that happens? It's long enough and after so many years of using it, you should be able to remember it.

We've had enough "origins" threads, but I did want to point out that Muffinchucker became part of my user name because of a website that insisted user names be two words.

As for passwords, I took XKCD's advice. My passwords are combinations of words (with special characters and numbers where required by the site) that make sense to me but not necessarily for others. Before that, my passwords were inspired by a book I read as a child, CDB! by William Steig.

Seaboe
Old 04 August 2015, 05:56 PM

Frying Pan

LTTAM: Using Messenger for what most people use Facebook for. I always assumed Messenger was to send, I don't know, messages (like, let's all meet Saturday for a party). Not "Here's that annoying FB meme, look how clever I am to send it to 9 of my closest friends on Messenger rather than just posting it on FB!".

Next LTTAM: When said person asks, "Did you see what I sent on Messenger? No one ever comments on them!"
Old 04 August 2015, 09:03 PM

LTTAM: When I'm playing phone tag with a person who refuses to answer my questions in voicemail. For example, I just left a voicemail with someone inquiring about the time of an event. When that person called me back, I was away from the phone, so they left me a voicemail in return. Rather than just saying the time of the event in the voicemail, the person left a message telling me to call them back.

Of course, they weren't available again, so I had to leave another voicemail. Which I wouldn't have had to do, if they had just told me the time of the event when they called back the first time!
Old 04 August 2015, 11:06 PM

Tantrum

A LTTAM:

Watermelons. The seedless varieties seem to be about half the size of the old seeded ones. Yet stores are charging the same amount for them.

Additionally, I don't think the seedless varieties taste as good as the seeded ones, but the stores on my area no longer carry the seeded ones. When asked why, I was told that "No one bought the seeded ones so we quit carrying them."
Old 05 August 2015, 12:41 AM

Seedless watermelons aren't any fun anyway.
Old 05 August 2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
A LTTAM:

Watermelons. The seedless varieties seem to be about half the size of the old seeded ones. Yet stores are charging the same amount for them.

Additionally, I don't think the seedless varieties taste as good as the seeded ones, but the stores on my area no longer carry the seeded ones. When asked why, I was told that "No one bought the seeded ones so we quit carrying them."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
Seedless watermelons aren't any fun anyway.
Please come by my farmers' markets* in maybe two to three weeks. I have some trouble selling the seeded ones, though the ones I've got, when I have them, taste like something. (They're also small, however: there are both large and small seeded as well as seedless varieties. Most of my customers don't want twenty or more pounds of watermelon in one lump.)

The seedless ones, however, are genuinely more difficult and more costly to grow. The fruit won't set properly unless you also allocate space to, and buy seed of, a pollinating variety, which may not produce salable fruit; the seed (seedless watermelons are hybrids, the parent varieties do produce seed) germinates poorly and needs special conditions to germinate at all; and the seed is expensive. And, in my experience, they produce poorly.

*not actually an ad; you're both too far away. But you might try markets in your areas.
Old 07 August 2015, 05:44 PM

If you want off a email list, reply all will not do it. Nor will replying to the email list address. Find the administrator and yell at him.
Old 07 August 2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
Ladies restrooms.

Or more specifically, the ladies room(s) where I work. It's bad enough that half of the women on staff wash their hands like a 3 year old taking a bath, splashing water all over the counter and floor and mirror and wall. If someone of the wrong height leans against the counter after one of those buffoons washes up, it ends up looking like they had an accident. But the stupid automatic towel dispenser dispenses right onto the counter, where there's inevitably a huge puddle of water.

Is it so hard to use the towel after you've dried your hands to wipe up your mess on the counter?
If it makes you feel better, it's not just women who do this. The men's room in my office always has a pool of water covering it by the end of the day.

It makes me wonder if maybe I don't wash my hands right because I never leave massive puddles.
Old 07 August 2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
Ladies restrooms.

Or more specifically, the ladies room(s) where I work. It's bad enough that half of the women on staff wash their hands like a 3 year old taking a bath, splashing water all over the counter and floor and mirror and wall. If someone of the wrong height leans against the counter after one of those buffoons washes up, it ends up looking like they had an accident.
Oh yeah, hate that one.
Old 08 August 2015, 09:47 AM

My housemate's complete inability to handle cats. He was having his dinner in the garden when Tomic, being the spoiled little bugger he is, jumped on the table. If I hadn't stood up from my chair to put him on the ground again, housemate would've moved and sat somewhere else.
I had half a mind to let him and watch Tomic chase him through the garden.
Old 12 August 2015, 04:05 AM

Wanted to make a burger and some corn on the cob for dinner tonight. Cooked burger. While it was cooking, grabbed some buns I had in the freezer and put one in the toaster oven. Didn't pay attention and turned it into charcoal. Put another bun in toaster oven and this time toasted it more to my liking, but realized I had completely absent mindedly forgotten to prepare the corn on the cob. While preparing corn, stuck burger on bun in the toaster oven on "keep warm" setting, to keep them warm. Thought this would simply keep everything warm, but proximity to heating element turned the top of the bun into almost charcoal again. Don't feel like making another one. Grudgingly eating burger on crunchy burnt bun. Also drinking wine.
Old 12 August 2015, 11:47 PM

Driver

OK, so. I am now a little thing that annoys some people.

Some time ago, in mid June, Wisconsin upped the speed limit on interstates from 65 to 70 mph. Of course, that means everyone that used to drive at 68 to 70 now drive at 72 to 75.

I drive the stretch from Eastern edge of St Paul to 19 miles East of the border twice a day on my way to and from work. Not liking speeding tickets, I tend to set my cruise control right at the speed limit, making the possibility of getting a speeding ticket as near to zero as you can get. After a few weeks, I began to get the vague sense I was using more gas. I keep a fuel and maintenance diary in the car and update it every time I buy gas, but hadn't run the mpg numbers for a couple of months. I ran the number when I filled up on Sunday, and wasn't surprised to find that it was down approx 2mpg from what I was used to seeing. I went back and updated the numbers to when the speed limit increased, and bingo. Post 70 mph numbers were across the board down about 2mpg per tankful.

On Monday, I decided to experiment, and see if I could get my old numbers back. (I mean, who knows? Maybe there's something I need to look at maintenance-wise on the car, and the timing is just coincidence.) Now, when I hit that stretch of I94, if it's safe, I'll set my cruise at 65 instead of 70.

Boy oh boy. Like I mentioned, I am now a LTTASP. About 30% of the folks that pass me (I stay in the right lane, speeding up or slowing down as required to let people enter the freeway.) are giving me the stinkeye, with one official outright single fingered salute. That's just in three days. I start my journey at one pm, so it's not like I'm driving in rush hour traffic or anything.

Don't care. Sticking to my guns here, gonna see this through.

Last edited by DrRocket; 12 August 2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12 August 2015, 11:53 PM

You're in the right lane, you're letting people merge, you're doing nothing wrong IMO -- and I'm a highway crank (I blame those years of driving to Mom's and back 3-4 weekends a month).
Old 13 August 2015, 12:00 AM

Agreed, you are alright in my book. As a matter of fact, I think your speed makes it easier for cars to get around you so they don't clog up in the left lane.
Closed Thread