snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 31 July 2015, 02:39 PM

My daughter turns 36 today. That means I'm old enough to have a 36-year-old daughter. How on earth....?

Bring on the "back in my day" jokes...we had to walk uphill to school - both ways, etc.

I was taking a selfie of my new hair (got hi-lites) and noticed crepe-y skin in my décolletage area. Argh! It's not right!
Old 31 July 2015, 03:22 PM

Update on son;s little brother (Big Brother program).

Surgery went well, but they are not sure they got all the infected tissue. May need to go back in later, but they are going to give it a couple days to see how it is draining and if it reacts to the antibiotics. My son almost got into it with a nurse that was explaining to my son possible complications and generally sharing a poor prognosis in front of his 'little'. Son told her no thirteen year old needs to hear that, as true as it might be.

Seems he may have gotten it from a relative while on vacation. She works at a nursing home that is battling MRSA infections and may have brought it home (it is very contagious and easily transmitted via open cuts). Since his immune system was already struggling after his bout with encephalitis, he was more susceptible.

My son was so much more upbeat after his latest hospital visit that I could hear the change in his voice.
Old 31 July 2015, 03:32 PM

Scary. Hope they got it all and he gets better quickly.
Old 31 July 2015, 04:23 PM

Baseball

Thanks for the update, Bob. Here's to everything improving from here on out.
Old 31 July 2015, 07:47 PM

Thanks, all.

UEL, stay safe. We'll leave a light on for you.
Old 01 August 2015, 12:48 AM

Photo Bob--good luck to everyone involved. UEL--stay safe.
Old 03 August 2015, 09:37 AM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Nah, I leave it as an intellectual exercise for people to correct the listed age based on my join date (2005).

Too bad the forum isn't smart enough to recalculate ages. You would think someone would have developed a device that can subtract two dates, convert the difference into years then add that value to another value. Seem like a very do-able programming project. Shouldn't take a competent programer more than a couple months to accomplish.
Since the mini-stats do calculate age based on DOB, I assume snopes has chosen not to automatically update the profile age.
Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought snopes had asked us to keep our profiles up to date. Anyway, every birthday I update my profile to reflect my current age. It's painless, I promise.

Brian
Old 03 August 2015, 10:09 AM

It seems I've forgotten to update mine on a number of occasions. It's some time since I was 34.
Old 03 August 2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought snopes had asked us to keep our profiles up to date. Anyway, every birthday I update my profile to reflect my current age. It's painless, I promise.

Brian
From the FAQ:

Quote:
User Profile Requirements
1) Members are required to enter and maintain accurate information in required fields (name, age, location, e-mail address) of their profiles at all times. Members who apply using false information or afterwards alter their profiles to remove or replace required fields with invalid entries are subject to loss of profile editing and/or posting privileges.
Old 03 August 2015, 01:06 PM

I rarely update on my actual birthday; but I try to do so somewhere within the general area of it.

Maybe it's meant to get us to look at our profiles once in a while, in case something else needs changing?
Old 03 August 2015, 02:56 PM

Glasses

I don't actually recall updating my profile before the comment about Jimmie's, but when I went to look my age was only 1 year off, so I must have.

Ferdinand got a new wagon on Friday, and a hair cut on Saturday. The little nekkid boy got into trouble this morning for peeing on a small rug (it went into the trash, since this is the third time now he's peed on it). It was doubly exasperating because I'd sent him outside to pee less than 15 minutes before he did it. I'm sure it was a message (something like "how dare you not get up when I want you to, even though it's 1/2 an hour before the alarm will go off"). As a result, he's confined to the kitchen today and will remain confined for the entire week.

It's doubly exasperating because he's been really good for a month or more. This sudden regression is annoying.

Seaboe
Old 03 August 2015, 06:10 PM

Not a photo of my son with his "little", but here he is my some on his way home from Walmart a few blocks form his apartment in Tampa on Saturday...

***I DID NOT TAKE THIS PHOTO***

He said he could have walked home as the water only chest deep (he's 6'4"), but his dog can't swim and is afraid of the water. Dog was nervous, but well behaved on canoe ride.

He said flooding is back today and may be as bad. He lives just a half mile or so from downtown Tampa.

Little brother seems to be doing fine and is in good spirits. No mention of another surgery, so sounds good.
Old 03 August 2015, 06:30 PM

Glasses

Thank you, Photo Bob. I assume his apartment and the Walmart were both dry?

Glad to hear about Little Brother.

Seaboe
Old 03 August 2015, 06:44 PM

Son lives on second floor so he's fine. First floor apartments had water in them.

Walmart is up higher than the streets. Dog got lots of scritches while they were there. Lots of folks taking pictures when they left in canoe.

Had to have his car towed (took 24 hours for them to get to him).

Said water was down Sunday. Cars were everywhere. On the sidewalk, in the middle of the street, wherever they had floated.

Said rain is back today and the flooding is almost as bad (he got about 6 inches in two hours on Saturday - even by Florida standards that is a lot). Everything was fine when he took dog to vet. Not so good on way home.
Old 03 August 2015, 08:33 PM

Meme I actually like:

"For every cigarette you smoke, God takes an hour off your life and gives it to Keith Richards."
Old 03 August 2015, 09:24 PM

HitchBOT, the hitchhiking robot, gets beheaded in Philadelphia

After traveling all the way across Canada, through Germany and the Netherlands, it lasts only 300 miles in the US before being badly damaged near Philadelphia. Thanks.
Old 04 August 2015, 02:29 AM

I'm ashamed of my old home town, but not surprised.
Old 06 August 2015, 06:17 PM

What a week. On Tuesday, we got hit with a severe storm that's probably the most intense fifteen minutes of weather I've experienced here. I went out for a run after work when it was just overcast to the west, expecting that I might get caught in the rain. I made it back within two blocks of my office when the sky opened up with sheets of rain, hail, branches, crap from balconies (I got hit in the head with a toss cushion), etc. In the 45 seconds it took me from the first ball of hail on my arm until I reached my lobby, I was soaked through. In the ten minutes it took me to run up to my office, change, and grab my stuff, the roads flooded to the point where they were impassable. I ended up having to wait, soaking wet, for another two and a half hours until my bus finally showed up - my alternate routes were also blocked, and I would have done the 9k walk home if it hadn't involved climbing up to one of the highest points in the city in the middle of a thunder and hail storm.

On Wednesday, an alert went out that we were going to get round two, so I packed up and left work early. I felt a little guilty, but halfway home the hail hit and the major artery road to my area of town was completely blocked. Mine was probably the last bus on my route to make it through for the next few hours. I got home to find that it was raining in our garage because our condo was doing repair work on the walkway that runs over the garages, and aside from a couple tarps, everything was exposed. The drywall was completely soaked through, and there's now an enormous crack running down the middle of the ceiling with the drywall buckling.

So now it's just drizzling, but I'm sitting at home missing another half day of work waiting for our property manager to show up to inspect the damage. They've given us a parking stall for now and they'll repair the damage, but who knows how long our garage is out of commission. The ceiling looks like it's about to collapse in places, and there's electrical to worry about.

And I normally like rain. Between this and the tornado warnings, I'm ready to move back to my nice, mild earthquake zone on the coast.
Old 07 August 2015, 09:09 PM

I've got Kwashiokor and the mad dog thirst and I'm going to dye my hair pink. That is all.
Old 08 August 2015, 04:41 PM

Great line on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me this morning. Discussing Ted Cruz's video where he cooks bacon 'the Texas way', by wrapping it around the barrel of a semi-automatic weapon and firing off a clip (in a shooting range), "That's just his embrace of 'pork-barrel' politics"
Closed Thread