snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 18 July 2015, 05:35 PM

They used to have dual speed limits like that in Ohio, until about 10 (?) years ago.
Old 18 July 2015, 06:55 PM

When we were driving out west we noticed the posted speed limit in South Dakota was 80 mph. I set the cruise control to 88 mph to see what would happen. I got excited for a minute when the time on my phone went back an hour until I realized we just crossed the time zone border.

Nick
Old 18 July 2015, 10:13 PM

LTTAM: mosquito bites on the back of my knee.
Old 20 July 2015, 05:05 AM

Do you guys remember going to the video store, back in the day, and walking out frustrated and empty-handed because there wasn't a single thing on the shelves you were in the mood for?

I had a day like that at the library today.

It seems like I've read all the interesting books, and what's left on the shelves is just disappointing dreck: chick lit, historical romance, werewolves, vampires, zombie apocalypse, mysteries, mysteries featuring a cat or dog in the title, and a hundred books titled "The [Man]'s Daughter/Wife." I'm not interested in any of that stuff.

The dozen books currently on my "to read" list aren't in our library's catalog, so I have to wait weeks for an interlibrary loan. I wanted to go home with books today.
Old 20 July 2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
LTTAM: mosquito bites on the back of my knee.
This sounds like a line from a parody version of "These are a few of my favourite things"
Old 20 July 2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Do you guys remember going to the video store, back in the day, and walking out frustrated and empty-handed because there wasn't a single thing on the shelves you were in the mood for?

I had a day like that at the library today.

It seems like I've read all the interesting books, and what's left on the shelves is just disappointing dreck: chick lit, historical romance, werewolves, vampires, zombie apocalypse, mysteries, mysteries featuring a cat or dog in the title, and a hundred books titled "The [Man]'s Daughter/Wife." I'm not interested in any of that stuff.

The dozen books currently on my "to read" list aren't in our library's catalog, so I have to wait weeks for an interlibrary loan. I wanted to go home with books today.
That's when I've been known to just grab something. Of course, that often leads to me returning the book with only the first few chapters read.
Old 20 July 2015, 02:38 PM

I have to rescind my earlier LTTAM concerning my sister in law describing my website as "Bill's website". Seems it was a typo of sorts.

She typed "This is my BIL's new website", but auto correct changed it to "This is Bill's new website".

And I thought my auto correct was a bit too presumptuous.
Old 20 July 2015, 07:58 PM

And here I was feeling mad on your behalf, Photo Bob!
Old 20 July 2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
This sounds like a line from a parody version of "These are a few of my favourite things"
I was going to make a verse out of my many woes today, but I couldn't manage to make 'sudden tendonitis in my right thumb' rhyme properly.
Old 20 July 2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
What are the odds she'll change your grade?

Every Christmas I get a text message "merry Christmas. I love you." And I text back "merry Christmas, but I'm still not your former-brother-in-law."
The probability is 1. I now have an 86.
Old 20 July 2015, 11:22 PM

Neener, Neener

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
I was going to make a verse out of my many woes today, but I couldn't manage to make 'sudden tendonitis in my right thumb' rhyme properly.
The rhyming should have been easy enough - it's the meter that's hard to deal with.
Old 21 July 2015, 06:50 PM

That last little bit of bang (fringe) that I've been growing out for months that I can almost, but not quite, tuck behind my ear.
Old 21 July 2015, 07:10 PM

My roof is leaking, and all I hear is ping-ping-ping into the pot I put under it.
Old 21 July 2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Been there, done that.

Although, sometimes, when I am in that situation I will pick up something outside my usual interest zone, and sometimes have been pleasantly surprised.
Old 21 July 2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
sometimes, when I am in that situation I will pick up something outside my usual interest zone, and sometimes have been pleasantly surprised.
Ditto.

-- I think it's likely to also be a matter of my mood. Sometimes I can't find anything I'm in the mood to read, right then -- though even the smaller libraries here have enough books I've never read that it's entirely impractical to pick up, look at, and consider every single one of them. But what I wasn't in the mood for that day I might well be in the mood for another day. So if I'm in that state of mind at the library, and there's nothing obvious in the new selections, I'll go to a couple of sections from which I don't generally take anything and grab a few things almost at random. I can always take them back without finishing them, after all.
Old 22 July 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
-- I think it's likely to also be a matter of my mood. Sometimes I can't find anything I'm in the mood to read, right then
And jumping off from that -- there was a movie I wanted to watch a while back. It wasn't available to stream anywhere, the local library didn't have it in their collection, and video stores pretty much don't exist anymore. But lots of Amazon sellers had used copies for just a few dollars, so I figured I might as well just buy it. By the time it arrived I wasn't really in the mood to watch it anymore, and it's just sitting unwatched on top of my Blu Ray player.
Old 23 July 2015, 08:28 PM

Have you ever read a book that's set in a fictionalized version of a place you're familiar with, and gotten annoyed by the details the author got wrong? I just had that experience last night.

It's set (at least in the beginning) in a fictional town in western Wisconsin on the Mississippi river. That happens to be where my parents live. Most of the description sounds like pretty much any small town in that region, except the author choose to include the detail that this town is home to a brewery and the "world's largest six pack". The worlds largest six pack (actually storage tanks painted to look like beer cans) really does exist, in La Crosse. Except the town described in the story sounds much smaller than the real city of La Crosse. And it mentions a larger college town nearby that actually seems to be loosely based on La Crosse. Also, it mentions the local radio station having call letters starting with K. Radio stations in Wisconsin have call letters that start with W.
Old 23 July 2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Have you ever read a book that's set in a fictionalized version of a place you're familiar with, and gotten annoyed by the details the author got wrong? .
Not that so much; but I've been entirely thrown out of, and very annoyed by, books that get basic facts wrong about things basic to their story (at least, when I know enough about the subject to recognize what's wrong.)

I remember two in particular: one a book in which a character spends much of the time building a stone wall -- and, among the massive details given are the dimensions of the wall, the number of stones he needs to lift to build it, and the weight of each stone. Except that it would have to be not stone, but dry sponges, or something similar, that he's picking up. I have picked up enough stones to know that stone weighs massively more than that. -- the other has the main character running a winery, and she's started a vineyard. The author apparently did a tiny percent of research, and found out that one doesn't harvest a crop from very young vines. The character therefore keeps looking out at the crop of grapes rotting on the vines because the vines are too young to harvest -- but the author should have kept researching. The reason one doesn't take a crop from a new planting is that producing the fruit is too much of a strain on young plants, and therefore the blossoms are removed before they can set any fruit. Letting the vines not only produce the fruit, but keep it on until the fruit rots, would be an even bigger strain than harvesting the crop on time would have been.
Old 23 July 2015, 09:58 PM

What bothers me is in historical fiction when the writer makes things happen that didn't happen during the time frame of the novel. I can't think of an exact example now but along the lines of having a famous event be part of the story but a decade before it actually happened. In other words don't let the Titanic sink in 1902 because it meets the needs of your fictional story better!
Old 23 July 2015, 10:08 PM

Eh, none of those necessarily bother me. As far as I'm concerned, I've never read a fiction book that takes place in the real world (a whole lot of 'non-fiction' clearly doesn't, either). So if stones are less dense in that world, or a doomed ship called the Titanic existed but launched in a different year, I roll with it. My issue comes in when it is not internally consistent.
Closed Thread