snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 05 March 2014, 09:49 PM

Default Daycare suspends 2-year-old girl over cheese sandwich

An Ottawa father is looking to move his children out of their daycare over its strict "no outside food" policy, after his daughter was suspended for three days for bringing a cheese sandwich to class.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...wich-1.2561458
Old 05 March 2014, 10:05 PM

Canada

Slow news day in Canada?
Old 06 March 2014, 02:57 AM

He seems more surprised than upset. But he better not be charged for those days, at least for the girl.
Old 06 March 2014, 03:16 AM

Every time I see that 'suspends X over Y' locution, I expect to read that X was chained as in a dungeon, suspended above Y. What a horrible thing to do to a 2 year old!
Old 06 March 2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
He seems more surprised than upset. But he better not be charged for those days, at least for the girl.
Why? The rules are unambiguous, he signed them, they are posted (though granted he can't read French though that isn't an excuse).
Old 06 March 2014, 06:15 PM

I don't think not speaking the language is a get out of jail free card here, and I don't think the father thought so either, it's an explanation and a pretty good one IMO as to why he didn't realize the consequences of bringing a bagged cheese sandwich to the daycare.

I agree with Latiam that he should not be charged for the days the child was suspended but I would presume that's exactly what will happen. The punishment here is that the parents have to scramble to find and pay for alternative daycare and I'm betting have already paid for the two days of the suspension (at least if this centre is like others I've encountered where you are paying ahead of time).

Last edited by Sue; 06 March 2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06 March 2014, 06:23 PM

The kid is 2, she walked in, the teacher saw the sandwich. She should have handed it back to the father, reminded him of the rules and left it at that.
Old 06 March 2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
The kid is 2, she walked in, the teacher saw the sandwich. She should have handed it back to the father, reminded him of the rules and left it at that.
Except that violates the contract. The father, or another parent, could sue the daycare for that.

Seems pretty simple to me. The rule says "x" with punishment "y". You signed a paper agreeing to rule "x" and punishment "y". Punishment is suspension and normally that doesn't include refunding of fees.
Old 06 March 2014, 08:30 PM

Sure it's straightforward but in this case it comes with a little layer of stupid. I don't disagree with the basic idea that the parent signed on and agreed to be punished if they erred. Where I have a problem is that the daycare centre suspended a 2 yr old but said her brother could remain. This just really rubs me the wrong way as essentially the centre is conveying the message that they actually are punishing a 2 yr old and not the parents. I guess the argument could be made that this way the parent only has to find alternative care for one child, but still, :shrug: there has to be a better way to handle what is obviously a slip on the parents part without making it appear that you are punishing a toddler.
Old 06 March 2014, 08:34 PM

I guess the idea is that she's the one they didn't supervise properly, whereas their supervision of her brother was not a problem.
Old 06 March 2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Every time I see that 'suspends X over Y' locution, I expect to read that X was chained as in a dungeon, suspended above Y. What a horrible thing to do to a 2 year old!
Another article had links at the bottom, and this news item was the subject of one of them. Except, (and maybe this is just how my computer is formatting it) it ran into the title of another article, so it became, "Man urinating on people near University Day care suspends girl over cheese of Florida campus, police...sandwich."

It just struck me funny. It even makes sense until near the end. Then it just looks like the title writer got hungry.
Old 07 March 2014, 12:57 AM

I also think that this should be something covered at time of sign up and have a signed agreement.
Old 07 March 2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
I also think that this should be something covered at time of sign up and have a signed agreement.
It is:
"Murray said parents signed onto the policy when they joined the daycare and said the policy is clearly posted at the front door entrance. "

This is a daycare that stresses its protection of children and staff with allergies. I imagine for parents of children this place is an answer to non-diety-specific prayer. If they bring in outside food, it's three days. If they bring in food with peanuts, they're expelled. It's a pretty severe policy, but it's daycare and they choose to be known as an allergan free daycare.

If daycare there is anything like daycare here, they're probably saying "Make up your mind fast; we've got a waiting list a mile long."
Old 07 March 2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Except that violates the contract. The father, or another parent, could sue the daycare for that.

Seems pretty simple to me. The rule says "x" with punishment "y". You signed a paper agreeing to rule "x" and punishment "y". Punishment is suspension and normally that doesn't include refunding of fees.
Very few contracts are applied as strictly as that. There is always - at least in the USA - a requirement of some amount of flexibility, depending on the circumstances. Beach's suggestion makes sense for the situation as is, where the sandwich was caught before the child had joined the group and while the father was still there. If the child had been all the way in and the father had already left, it might have been another issue, although for a first offense, just insisting on the father coming back to get the sandwich seems reinforcement enough to not have it happen again.

What puzzles me is why there was a cheese sandwich with the child if not to be eaten at some point. And that suggests that maybe there was an intent to violate the rules.
Old 07 March 2014, 06:52 PM

Sometimes parents give their children little baggies of food in the car to snack on during the trip. Children are sneaky. She could very easily have stuck it in her pocket "for later" instead of eating it right then and then cheerfully told daddy "All done!".
Old 07 March 2014, 07:16 PM

Which is pretty much what the father says happened:
Quote:
Murray said he knew his daughter had the sandwich in the car, but didn't realize she had put it in her pocket and taken it into class.
Old 07 March 2014, 08:18 PM

I recently took my three year old 'nephew' to the museum. When we were getting ice cream afterwards he reached in his pocket and pulled out a sucker he had in his pocket the whole time. His mom also packed a small snack in his coat pocket.
Old 07 March 2014, 08:41 PM

My son was like that as well at that age. If I believed in reincarnation I would have suspected he'd lived through a famine or the Great Depression or something in a previous life. We always had to check his pockets for food. No biggie if it was a wrapped candy or a bagged sandwich, not so funny when it was mashed potatoes or slightly used fish sticks.
Old 07 March 2014, 09:08 PM

My parents never passed up a chance to tell this story about me:
My Dad worked at home. One day I walked into his office and said, "Can I have a pickle?" He answered, "Sure, but I'm busy right now, so I'll get you one later." A bit later I walked by eating a pickle. He asked me where I got it, and I told him I'd gotten it out of my sock drawer. Apparently I kept an emergency pickle in there.
Old 07 March 2014, 09:45 PM

1958Fury, that's adorable.