snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 11 April 2018, 11:35 AM

We tried one, and weren't thrilled. The meals were repetitive--same or similar side dishes for two out of four meals--but worse was the packaging. We had an enormous amount of cardboard and foamed plastic, and felt bad about the waste. The food was pre-measured for two, but my wife and I are fairly light eaters, and we tossed out at least a third of the food as leftovers. Not the company's fault, but once the packages were left on the walk instead of on our porch, we were away, and we came home to discover that a thunderstorm had pulverized and dissolved the outer packaging and some neighborhood dogs had apparently appreciated the bounty. In the end, we decided it was too much hassle and went back to just buying and cooking what we wanted.
Old 11 April 2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
It's possible, but there will be a learning curve, and before I was vegan I was convinced a lot of vegan diets were impossible. (I couldn't fathom how my celiac friend was vegan because I relied so much on wheat gluten-based meat substitutes at first.) Any vegan diet requires a bit of thought and planning, and some people can't be vegan for medical reasons, but most dietary restrictions can be accommodated. That said, I am really, really glad I can have nightshades, because I love peppers and potatoes and tomatoes so much.
Potatoes are the really tricky one -- potato products are often used as fillers/thickeners etc.

Re: eating vegan, it doesn't help that my friend hates beans.
Old 11 April 2018, 02:37 PM

My parents were using a meal delivery service but it was the kind where the meals are already prepared and frozen and all you need to do is heat them up. It was a lot of fun going through the menus they sent and choosing meals ahead of time - sort of like having room service I guess. But after a few months they realized they were spending a lot of money for the convenience of having, essentially, Lean Cuisines, delivered to their door. I wonder if a meal kit delivery service would suit their needs? I'll have to do some research and see what's available in our area.
Old 11 April 2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
IFor example, if I want to cook pork chops, I have to get them in a minimum package of 4, and I'm one.
I haven't asked in a while, but butchers used to repackage meat in different sizes upon request.
Old 11 April 2018, 08:23 PM

I'm a good cook but not a frequent one. Schedules shake out in our house that my husband does most of the cooking, but his repertoire of meals doesn't involve spices beyond the basics we always have on hand (salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic, basil).

When I do cook, I usually do it up since I'm "the good cook" and it's an undertaking and I often end up buying a ton of stuff I need only a small amount of, so meal kits appeal to me in that way. However, I only cook about once a month, a lot of it depends when I'm home (I should cook more in my BE apartment but it's a weird mental battle with me).

If I could buy a meal kit at the grocery store I would, but having them delivered regularly makes no sense for us.

When I was in Manhattan I could get reheat-and-eat meals delivered and I used that service to an embarrassing level. Plus they had the best mushroom pot
stickers I've ever had, and I've spent the past 5 years trying to recreate that recipe.
Old 12 April 2018, 01:53 AM

My budget isn't' as tight as it used to be so I have been eating out and getting takeout a bit lately, which I realise I need to cut back on that. Cause I still will have to be careful with my money.

Luckly I usually like to cook and did Home Economics until grade 12 when I was otherwise on the academic stream (two maths subjects, chemistry and Physics) and most people tell me I am a good cook.

I plan my meals around what is in my kitchen and what is on special at the supermarkets near me. I also grow a few herbs and basic vegetable on my balcony as fresh herbs can be expensive and often don't last.

I buy things in bulk and package and freeze them. And generally I enjoy my meal planning, I like the challenge and I have a lot of cook books.

But it does get old and sometimes you just want to cook what you want or go out for something rather then trying to use what I have. Which is why, in the last week or so I have been eating out a bit.

I had a former boss who told me, in an incredibly condescending way "See it is hard to cook all your meals when you are working full-time"

I was in my mid 30's and was doing this in a attempt to manage to pay the mortgage and all my bills and to eat heathy.

And not only that, there was a period when due to various medical issues, I was working full-time and doing all the meal planning, shopping and cooking for 20 people. And this wasn't just cooking bulk meals and serving it up. We were all in different houses so it had to be packaged up. So all Mum's Tupperware was going. And I was tying to make it interesting cause we have a few foodies and there were also young children.
Old 12 April 2018, 02:02 AM

Oh and relating to the meal kits. I have often thought about this but because I am a cook and been living here a while I already have a lot of ingredients so I imaging there would be bit of double up.

And in my recent kitchen renovation I got a spice draw. This a shallow draw under my hotplates for all my dried spices and herbs. I will try to take a picture of my spice draw so you can all see my spice draw. Cause I have a spice draw.
Old 12 April 2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
That is my problem. I have no freezer. So, I'm not able to exercise that option.

By June, though, it should be moot. I will have a freezer by then.
This is a problem for us. We've already discussed that the first joint purchase is going to be an apartment sized chest freezer and a Costco membership.
Old 16 April 2018, 03:57 AM

I have been thinking about doing this for a while. It's the cost that off-putting, though. We are not fancy eaters or cooks, and by the time I get home, I have little time or energy to cook. To be honest, there's not much cooking going on in my kitchen. Anyone who knows me very well, knows that I am not a very good cook. Part of it is lazyness, plus it's just not a natural skill for me.

Here's a Page with comparisons of 6 of the delivery services

I also found out online that Aldi's has some ready meals. I don't know if they are available everywhere or just in the UK. I may stop by my local Aldi tomorrow to see if they have them. They would be much cheaper, of course not as fancy, and not as much of a complete meal.

Omaha Steak has some crock-pot meals that I may try, but I don't know if they are just seasonal or not. I use my crock-pot all year long, and if I can just throw it in the crock-pot before I leave for work, and have it ready for my son, that would be perfect. I don't know how much food there is in those. They seem to be on sale right now. I love the idea of just throwing it in the crock-pot. Did I mention that I am a lazy cook? lol. To be honest though, I am in a dif. department now and it's a much more stressful job. You can't just leave at a certain time. You have to get things done. I miss knowing I can leave on time very day, sigh.

It's nice to hear some experiences with the various companies. They really need a basic one that delivers, one that's a bit more than the Aldis meals, but not as fancy smancy as the other ones. , which is what Omaha Steak has.

One thing that I've learned about shopping online: If you create an account, and put things in your shopping cart, then leave, you may get a coupon in a day or two to get you to come back. Of course everything in your cart may not be still available.

Michigan-Cook, me?-Girl
Old 16 April 2018, 04:06 AM

Time.com/Money's best meal kits value