snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 02 November 2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Ha! I was all for writing a response to your original post along the lines of ďDonít waste your time with that lot as you are vanishingly unlikley to land a job with that agency..Ē

I think there are still a few alarm bells to work through though! Donít hold back on making those useability suggestions!
Job searching is certainly...interesting in the days of the internet. You would think IT would make it easier and in some ways it does but.. Well I am several mailing list for jobs and you get a e-mail says "There are 15 jobs that match your skill set" when maybe one does (if you are lucky) and then you are better off trying to find the web site of the company in question and apply there, as the ad is actually on their website. (The mail list isn't from a recruitment company, their business is solely looking for job openings, sending the details to people on their list...along with pop up ads etc.)
Old 02 November 2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding Crawl View Post
It's certainly a word. One for the language thread maybe, but the defining characteristic of a tart, IME, is not its size but that it lacks a top crust. Sometimes it might have a pastry lattice but there's always visible filling.
'Tartlet' is not a word I use or hear actual people say but it would not be unusual on a posh box of pastries, maybe to avoid the cheap-laugh connotations of 'tart'. And if they spelled it 'tartelette' I'd expect it to taste mainly of overcharging and twee.
That is consistent with the dictionary definitions. Tart is a filled pastry either with no top, or with a folded over edge. Also, some definitions specify kinds of fillings that are typical. Tartlet is not only a word, it is defined by many dictionaries. It is an "individual sized tart." I've seen tart used many times for pie-sized pastries that are not small versions of pies. I would have defined it as a particular kind of filled pastry -- no top, with particular kinds of fillings, and typically a low-sided pastry case.

Last edited by erwins; 02 November 2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02 November 2018, 05:23 PM

merriam-webster's definition:

Quote:
1 : a dish baked in a pastry shell : PIE: such as
a : a small pie or pastry shell without a top containing jelly, custard, or fruit
b : a small pie made of pastry folded over a filling
Old 02 November 2018, 08:01 PM

Urban Dictionary's definition:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
tartlet
Verb - A tweenage girl (under 15) who behaves and/or dresses like a tart.
I found a particular dictionary that says you're all wrong!
Old 03 November 2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
You would think IT would make it easier and in some ways it does but..
Modern IT enables the very worst and lazy recruiters to proliforate. Especially in the contractor world, for every genuine job advert out there there will be about 20 near idenical ones that ate basically fishing excersises for CVs

In my industry, UK IT contracting I think about 20% of recruiters are worth their weight in gold, the rest are just clouding the process making what should be a short contract seeking process a months long nightmare of chasing phantom jobs and false promises.
Old 03 November 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I have a itchy patch on my back, just about where my right shoulder blade. So just about the hardest part of my back to put tea tree lotion on. When I get tree lotion on it seems to help. I don't know what has caused it. I do react badly to soap but usually only when I is really hot*. But I haven't used soap for ages and why only there. I do react to other cleaning problems so maybe something has been transferred there from when I have been cleaning. I wondering if I should get an allergy test? To establish exactly what it is.

All so I have a hang-nail.

*before we figured out what is was we used to call it prickly heat
Do you think it could be eczema? My skin has been growing increasingly sensitive the past few years and in random patches I've been developing eczema. About 2-3 years ago I had an embarassing spot on my forehead, since then I get random patches elsewhere... currently I have 6-7 active "spots" (depending if you count each elbow as its own spot- I prefer to group when I can :P ). Moisturizing within minutes of drying off after the shower helps loads, and continuously moisturizing throughout the day 2-3 more times helps as well. I'm sorry it's in such an awkward location to reach, though, which will make moisturizing often more difficult.

FWIW my eczema doesn't seem to be linked to any particular stimulus, especially with how random their placement is... I have seasonal allergies though which makes me more prone to eczema.
Old 04 November 2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
"an open pastry case containing a filling." --Whatever dictionary Google uses.

"an open pastry case with a filling, usually of something sweet such as fruit:
apple/strawberry/custard tart." Cambridge dictionary
https://www.google.com/amp/s/diction...p/english/tart

"a pie that has no top and is filled with vegetables, fruit etc
a lemon/onion tart" MacMillan dictionary
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...british/tart_1

"An open pastry case containing a sweet or savoury filling.
‘an apple tart’" Oxford dictionaries
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/tart

"A tart is a shallow pastry case with a filling of food, especially sweet food.
...apple tarts." Collins dictionary
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.col...p/english/tart

Dictionary.com mentions "small pie," so it agrees with you. Really Merriam-Webster.com's definition only sort of agrees with you. Its definition is just, "a pie," and the references to "small" are in the examples.

I'm not saying it can't be a small pie. I'm saying it doesn't have to be, and tartlet is certainly a word.
Old 04 November 2018, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Modern IT enables the very worst and lazy...
Just as true.
Old 04 November 2018, 05:07 AM

Ambulance

It's hard rubbish season in my neighbourhood but I'm still not 100% after falling off that ladder last week so I'm forcing myself to take it easy and I'm not rushing around picking up discarded potplants and piles of lumber. (I did go out and pick up some very large empty plastic plant pots though.)

Nawww, hard rubbish collection is usually one of my highlights of the year.

The bruises I got in the fall have almost completely faded, my wrenched wrist is pretty good and my twisted ankle is a lot better but I'm still getting pains in the side of my chest, I'm starting to think I may have cracked some ribs.
Old 04 November 2018, 06:03 AM

Quote:

In my industry, UK IT contracting I think about 20% of recruiters are worth their weight in gold, the rest are just clouding the process making what should be a short contract seeking process a months long nightmare of chasing phantom jobs and false promises.
Too bad we are not in the same country, I would ask for recommendations. But then again I am not in IT. Although my two careers circle around IT. Back when I studied science, we did do a fair bit of IT. And until the opened the separate school of IT when I was in second year IT was part of science. And you are also expected to know a fair bit about IT in libraries.

I should have finished that Diploma of Information Studies I started in 1999 but the changed it to more Internet based stuff in 2000, I arrived late that day and didn't understand exactly why we needed to start the whole course again (missed the explanation) and there was a fair bit going on in the family at the time (health wise) I wasn't really in the right frame of mind to do that.
Old 04 November 2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Do you think it could be eczema? My skin has been growing increasingly sensitive the past few years and in random patches I've been developing eczema.
Oh I am pretty sure it is eczema. My Dad and I get eczema, cause by soap (and heat). In the 70's, growing up in Townsville (in the tropic so pretty much hot all year round) we had it pretty much all year round. In those days we called in prickly heat. And we worked out it was from soap and Mum got on to a soap free cleaner and we rarely get it now. Unless we use soap when it is hot. it is the two in combination.

I was using soap when I shaved under my arms a few years ago and got a rash so bad I need a course of antibiotic and steroid cream. But as I said it mainly only when it is very hot. I can use soap, in a limited way at other times.

I mainly am interested in getting an allergy test because Dad has also reacted badly to some mites he got when he was cleaning out his mother house a few years ago.

And very badly to chilli seeds. He has never particularly liked chillies (or bell peppers) but I have used chillies for years in my cooking and we have regularly went Thai, Chinese and Indian restaurants.
Old 04 November 2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
The bruises I got in the fall have almost completely faded, my wrenched wrist is pretty good and my twisted ankle is a lot better but I'm still getting pains in the side of my chest, I'm starting to think I may have cracked some ribs.
But how is your cell phone?
Old 04 November 2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
It's hard rubbish season in my neighbourhood but I'm still not 100% after falling off that ladder last week s [ . . . ]
GM, please be careful!

Some years ago, I knew somebody -- a fairly young man, I think in his 30's -- who fell off a scaffold ladder, from probably less than ten feet up. Just about everybody, hearing first that part of the story, said something like 'oh, too bad, how's he doing?'

He wasn't doing anything at all; and wouldn't be, ever. He was dead by the time anybody found him; maybe as soon as he hit.

So -- I know you go in for daredevil stuff. But please don't take falling off ladders casually.
Old 04 November 2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
But how is your cell phone?
Luckily it was in my right hand pocket and I didn't land on it so it was fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
So -- I know you go in for daredevil stuff. But please don't take falling off ladders casually.
I'm usually super super paranoid about ladders, this was the first time I've ever fallen off one. It was only a tiny little step ladder and I was hanging onto something else as I stepped down, I had three points of contact and everything.

When I landed on the ladder I actually bent it out of shape so it was even more rickety and wobbly. I threw it out with the rubbish but I cut off one of the legs first so no one else would take it and try and use it.
Old 04 November 2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I threw it out with the rubbish but I cut off one of the legs first so no one else would take it and try and use it.
Good move. They do wear out (and some are only made for limited weight in the first place, and then get overloaded and damaged by the excess load.)

And glad to hear you are being careful!
Old 05 November 2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
When I landed on the ladder I actually bent it out of shape so it was even more rickety and wobbly. I threw it out with the rubbish but I cut off one of the legs first so no one else would take it and try and use it.
I live in a college town and picking up second-hand furniture and whatnot off the curb (or from places like freecycle) is like participating in a town wide hobby. Thank you for taking a few moments to make sure no one else would mistake the ladder for something that was still usable or safe. You might very well have saved someone else from being injured. Best wishes toward healing up quickly, and hoping the injuries are nothing major.
Old 05 November 2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
I live in a college town and picking up second-hand furniture and whatnot off the curb (or from places like freecycle) is like participating in a town wide hobby.
We just had hard rubbish collection in our suburb and it's almost like some sort of festival with hundreds of people wandering the streets picking out good things to keep. I'm on a neighbourhood FB group so we were all giving each other tip offs about stuff. I saw a really nice artist's light box (which had a sign on it saying it worked fine) and posted a photo and people were practically falling over each other to get to it first.
Old 05 November 2018, 07:09 PM

That's really cool. I used to get great stuff left on curbs and advertised on Craigslist when I lived in Boston, which is crawling with college students, and to a lesser extent when I lived a stone's throw from UC Irvine. We found plenty of takers for our non-upholstered stuff when we moved out of our old place in Koreatown, in a neighborhood where people routinely throw out sometimes useful but mostly garbage furniture by leaving it on the curb in violation of local ordinances, but it would be nice to have an officially sanctioned way of doing that.
Old 05 November 2018, 07:42 PM

Glasses

In Seattle, people put things out on the curb for others to take on a regular basis. It is not officially sanctioned*, and unfortunately, once people put things out, they rarely if ever retrieve anything that no one picks up. So sometimes things sit out for weeks, rain or shine (especially gross if it's upholstered furniture). On the other hand, that's how I got my $6,000 free chairs, and the laundry basket I use in the upstairs bathroom, and the table on which my computer rests.

*in fact, it's considered illegal dumping, and you can report it.

Seaboe
Old 06 November 2018, 05:11 PM

LTTAM: The fact that it's now already dark at the end of the work day. It's kind of depressing to not have any daylight left at the end of the day. And since I typically work until 6:00, even before the time change the sun was already starting to set as I was leaving work.