snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 25 October 2018, 06:54 PM

This stuff works massively better than anything else I've ever tried.

http://www.naturesmiracle.com/produc...r-remover.aspx
Old 25 October 2018, 07:48 PM

Glasses

Poor UEL (I'd say poor Cocodot, but it clearly bothers him less than it does UEL).

I'm pretty sure Ferdinand would ignore a skunk, if one were to appear in the neighborhood, but that doesn't mean the skunk would ignore him. Luckily, he's only about 8.6 kilos (19 lbs), so he's easy to man-handle.

There are almost as many dogs in my neighborhood as there are people (at least, it seems that way). On the corner nearby is the Dog Oasis, where water, treats and the occasional toy are provided (plus a white board for comments). If you and your dog knock on the door at Halloween, they're giving out treats. The oasis has been there for 14 years now. The owners do not themselves have a dog--they borrow the neighbor's sometimes. I'm going to see if my dog walker will take Ferdinand by next Wednesday (I have to stay home to hand out candy). I intend to make him (eta: the dog, not the dog walker) a little sign to wear around his neck that says "Boo!" because he's white and I can claim his fur makes him a ghost.

Seaboe
Old 25 October 2018, 08:30 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
This stuff works massively better than anything else I've ever tried.

http://www.naturesmiracle.com/produc...r-remover.aspx
Lots of recommendations for this. I use it. Could not get any that night, but even the next day it helped.

I think the residual smell will be something that I will have to allow to wear off over time.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 25 October 2018, 09:13 PM

Baseball

Picture of me and the boys in less stinky days.

Schroedinger is the big boy, and Cocodot the one looking for a skunk in this photo.
Old 25 October 2018, 10:48 PM

Good dogs! (well, most of the time -- )
Old 25 October 2018, 11:37 PM

Aw, bless the silly doggies. <3
Old 26 October 2018, 04:42 PM

Some encouraging news from my job situation/jobhunt (finally).

One of the outplacement services is resume/cover letter writing. They provide you with a draft of each for your review/revision, then coach you on how to customize them for specific jobs. I got the first drafts this week, and they look great, much better than I've done. Not only do I think they're more likely to get me an interview, they're a great confidence boost. No inflation or hype, just a strong presentation of what I've done and what I can do.

Also, the position I applied for and didn't get last year is opening up again, and they expect to post and hire by the end of the year. I think I have a strong chance at it this time. I thought that last time, too, but the manager who hired the much-less qualified person over me is gone now. If nothing else, not getting this one would be a definite signal that my future lies outside my current employer.
Old 26 October 2018, 07:23 PM

Glasses

Good luck, Lainie (pretend this guy

Seaboe
Old 27 October 2018, 04:26 AM

Today I got a flyer in the mail that claimed to be the "Official California 'No Party Preference' Voter Guide". It seems rather oxymoronic that "no party preference" would have an official anything. I'm sure it was sent out by someone's campaign to try to get voters who declined to state a party to vote their way. I didn't think to check who paid for the flyer before tossing it into the recycling.
Old 27 October 2018, 02:55 PM

This, probably?

Looks to me like they hire out to whatever candidate wants to pay for it.

From the About page:

Quote:
Originally in 2010, the No Party Preference Voter Guide (NPP) was known as the Decline to State Voter Guide and mailed all across the State of California during primaries and general elections. Today, the NPP Voter Guide gets mailed to over 1 million voters every even year.

Founded and created by Paul Fickas, one of the top political consultants in California. Mr. Fickas has worked for and represented Democrats and Republicans since 1994, advising over 300 former and current elected officials.
-- I don't know what they do if opposing candidates in the same race both/all want to hire them.
Old 27 October 2018, 03:32 PM

They yell "ka-ching!" while making fist pumping gestures?
Old 28 October 2018, 12:55 PM

Whalephant

I went into Pet Smart the other night to get more cat food and passed by the area where they do obedience training. There was a dog and their owner and an employee in there and the owner and the associate were busy talking. The dog was sitting at the other end of the enclosure, saw me and made a beeline for me. I hope they aren't working on "stay" with him.
Old 29 October 2018, 03:14 PM

Glasses

Last night my niece came to dinner, bringing my sister's dog, Tina. And I discovered that Ferdinand, who shows absolutely no interest in other animals (not even squirrels), still gets jealous if there is another dog in His House. Tina was very well behaved, while he stood under my chair and grumble/growled at her. I told him that if he didn't like it, he should follow her and stop her, but he preferred to complain.

Even after they left, when we went to bed, he sat there and complained under his breath, refusing pets and watching me from the corner of his eye. He'd forgiven me by this morning, though.

Seaboe
Old 30 October 2018, 02:48 AM

Skull

So it turns out that I've become the Halloween Co-ordinator for my entire suburb. Not only have I been giving out loads of costuming advice and trick-or-treating tips online but I've also been liaising with the local newspaper and I ended up creating and running the local trick or treat household location Google map so people know where to take their kids.
Old 30 October 2018, 03:54 AM

I'm interested to know how trick-or-treating is done in other countries. Here, it's traditional in the suburbs for kids to just go house to house throughout all the neighborhoods within walking distance; no need for a map. Usually the houses that are participating will have decorations and/or the front porch lights on; if you don't want trick-or-treaters, leaving your front lights off is a signal you're not participating (though some determined kids might ring your bell anyway).

Also I've never lived in a town where there's any determined start/stop time; younger kids start around dusk and older kids are usually done by 9 or 9:30. Trick-or-treating is always done on October 31 regardless of what day of the week it is.

As a kid I wouldn't have tolerated trick-or-treating in a parking lot or shopping mall; half the fun is the freedom to run around with no adult supervision and meet up with other kids and see how much ground you can cover in nearby neighborhoods.
Old 30 October 2018, 04:22 AM

Trick or treat times in my part of the world are generally set at 6-8 and these are posted in the papers, on websites, etc.

One interesting anomaly that does exist in Michigan; Grand Rapids and many of its surrounding communities move trick or treating to Saturday the 30th if Halloween should fall on Sunday.
Old 30 October 2018, 09:54 AM

Halloween isn't all that widespread here in Australia so most houses don't take part and it's not uncommon to find entire streets where no one wants trick or treaters to knock on their door, so people could walk for ages and ages and not find any houses. I figured that a handy online map would make things a lot easier for families that are giving it a go for the first time and don't know which streets usually have households that take part.

Also it's a way for me to ensure that more people come to my house after last year's low turnout. There's not a lot of houses around me that take part so I'm a bit isolated from the Halloween hotspots in my neighbourhood.
Old 30 October 2018, 02:53 PM

When I was a child, people went around to houses in their own neighborhoods. If you lived out of town and it was a long way between houses, your parents might drive you around to the neighbors, and park at the roadside end of the driveway -- I don't think they usually came to the door with you (in the 1950's) at least unless you were very small.

Now, the assorted villages all have official parties in town, and even people who don't go to those or who also go house to house generally get driven to places where there are a lot of houses and the pickings are likely to be good; so the rural houses get few or no trick or treaters. I live out of town; I always lay in some candy, but I make sure to get something I like myself, as nobody's shown up here in years. -- there are set hours, and sometimes a particular town will choose a different night, though it's usually the actual 31st. I don't know how well people observe the set hours, as I'm not in town to notice.

I agree that whether or not a house has its outside lights on is a signal of whether that household is willing to play.
Old 30 October 2018, 03:20 PM

If I were looking for someone to carry on the spirit of Halloween, I know I'd pick Gutter Monkey since he clearly loves dressing up and building amazing structures.
Old 30 October 2018, 03:25 PM

True, Gutter Monkey is a hero to me.

Where we live, there are no neighbors (except the vultures who live in our silo. We don't want anything they are giving out.) So, we drive the kids to a neighborhood where we know people.