snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 25 June 2017, 06:24 PM

Yeah, my commute is short and I don't put many highway miles on my car (as evidenced by only getting close to 90K on a 14-year-old car). I average 4,000-5,000 miles per year. I always keep up with maintenance. Reasons I've gotten rid of my cars:

1. I was about 20 years old and scared to death when I got stranded in my 12-year-old car, so honestly I sold that one faster than I probably could have, because the repairs were minor. But it also had no air conditioning and I lived in Oklahoma with plans to move to Texas, a recipe for major disaster.

2. The weather stripping gave up while I was away for two weeks. It rained, flooded, and grew mold. The engine probably would have kept going for ages, but I had to retire that car at age 13, with about 85,000 miles. Nobody was willing to try to address the mold and the car had a blue book value of less than $500 anyway.

3. I had my car worked on by a dealership I previously trusted, but they did horrible things like draining all the coolant out and not replacing it. After a few years of dumping around 3,000-5,000 dollars keeping it going every year, it decided it needed about $8,000-10,000 in repairs. So it retired at age 13, with around 88,000 miles on it.

Fingers crossed and my current 3-year-old car with 36,000 miles on it will keep running for longer.
Old 26 June 2017, 12:00 AM

My last Miata was right around 180K when I got rid of it - not unheard of with those cars (lots of people have 1-200K miles on them), with some decidedly low-rent maintenance during the lean unemployed years.

What I'm actually rather proud of is that I did the whole thing on the original clutch.
Old 26 June 2017, 12:16 AM

The 1979 Corolla my dad had when I was a kid had something in the neighborhood of 170,000 miles when he finally got rid of it. As noted upthread that was considered astronomically high at the time -- that's probably why I actually remember it.
Old 26 June 2017, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I like to look up TV cars that interest me. This is a minor annoyance, but it annoys me when a movie or TV show that's set in the past uses a car that's technically correct for the period, but portrays it as old and beat up when it really wouldn't have been that old at the time the show is set. Some examples:
I don't know much about cars, but I've a life-long interest in both aircraft and guns. Old TV shows and movies are hopeless at getting historically accurate versions of either.

With guns, it's cases like Hogan's Heroes where WW2 German soldiers have American Thompson machine guns, or Arabs issued with Israeli Uzi submachine guns. I know in warfare there's a degree of using what ever is available, but this wasn't the case in these examples.

I saw a statuette on sale once featuring an Australian WW2 soldier, but he was armed with a German Mauser rifle.

Aircraft take off and landing sequences are funny in TVland. The subject is shown taking off down a runway, and the landing at the other end is shown also, but with a different type of aircraft.
Old 26 June 2017, 01:29 PM

I was watching an episode of Miami Vice on DVD a few years ago and had fun counting the number of different private jets they used from stock footage during one montage of a flight sequence. There were at least four or five different aircraft involved, I think, and if I (as somebody who doesn't even know much about aircraft) could tell, it really was very obvious. Things like the tailplane changing type from T-tail to fuselage-mounted, and the number of windows going up and down. I almost wondered if the editors had done it deliberately as a private joke.

Something that annoys me: That stupid style of drinking straw with a little spoon thing on one end (or a cutaway section at the bottom, essentially). You get them a lot these days with iced coffee or other cold drinks that get served in cups with lids. I always spend ages trying to suck up the last half-inch or so of liquid and wondering why it's not working, before realising that it has the stupid little spoon, which has no obvious purpose but stops the functional end of the straw from going in the liquid. If you have to take the lid off and drink the last bit without a straw, it means there's no point in having the straw in the first place.
Old 26 June 2017, 02:20 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Something that annoys me: That stupid style of drinking straw with a little spoon thing on one end (or a cutaway section at the bottom, essentially). You get them a lot these days with iced coffee or other cold drinks that get served in cups with lids. I always spend ages trying to suck up the last half-inch or so of liquid and wondering why it's not working, before realising that it has the stupid little spoon, which has no obvious purpose but stops the functional end of the straw from going in the liquid. If you have to take the lid off and drink the last bit without a straw, it means there's no point in having the straw in the first place.
If you aren't going to use the "spoon" on that straw the way it was intended, then flip the straw upside down for the last dregs of your iced cappuccino.

Life hack brought to you by 30 years of drinking Slurpees.
Old 26 June 2017, 02:36 PM

Glasses

I've used the spoon end when eat/drinking Slurpees, too. I can't imagine why anyone would put one in an iced coffee though. The pieces of ice are way too big to use the little spoon.

So, if a fork + spoon is a spork, is a straw + spoon a stroon or a spraw?

LTTAM1: I took my computer home to test something over the weekend, but wasn't able to because when I tried, I got locked out of the system.

LTTAM2: Not being able to access a database that my colleagues in California can access.

Seaboe
Old 26 June 2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I've used the spoon end when eat/drinking Slurpees, too. I can't imagine why anyone would put one in an iced coffee though.
Probably because they don't know what they're meant to be for, like I didn't... It seems like coffee shops use them for pretty much any cold drink here. I suppose you can use them to eat the cream if you've got whipped cream on top.

I've tried turning them upside-down but the remaining usable part of the straw was too short to easily get to the bottom of the cup in that case. Also, the edges of the spoon are quite sharp in your mouth... I think Costa (the coffee shop in question when this last annoyed me) just has badly-designed cups and processes.
Old 26 June 2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
Aircraft take off and landing sequences are funny in TVland. The subject is shown taking off down a runway, and the landing at the other end is shown also, but with a different type of aircraft.
Or they're show a narrowbody plane taking off, and then the characters are shown in a twin-aisle cabin...

It also annoys me when a new article about an aviation related incident is accompanied by a stock photo of a plane that just happens to be from the same airline, but isn't even the kind of plane that was involved in the story. Sometimes it might even be of a type of plane the airline retired years ago.

Quote:
I was watching an episode of Miami Vice on DVD a few years ago and had fun counting the number of different private jets they used from stock footage during one montage of a flight sequence. There were at least four or five different aircraft involved, I think, and if I (as somebody who doesn't even know much about aircraft) could tell, it really was very obvious. Things like the tailplane changing type from T-tail to fuselage-mounted, and the number of windows going up and down. I almost wondered if the editors had done it deliberately as a private joke.
I remember watching the movie Earnest Goes to Camp when I was a kid (I know, not exactly a masterpiece of cinema, but I liked that kind of stupid slapstick comedy as a kid). In the sequence where Earnest is driving the busload of kids to the camp, in different shots the bus keeps changing back and forth between a Ford and an International Harvester. Even if you know nothing about buses/trucks they look nothing alike.
Old 26 June 2017, 05:04 PM

My neighborhood isn't designed to accommodate any delivery trucks larger than UPS. The driveways are so close together, and the street is so narrow, that trucks can't park without blocking at least one person's driveway. Right now that driveway is mine.

My neighbors are having new appliances delivered and the delivery truck has been blocking my car for the past half hour, with no signs of moving any time soon. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere; if this were any other day of the week, I'd be late for work while I went next door to tell them and then waited for them to move the truck. But when they moved it to let me out, they'd block someone else's car.
Old 26 June 2017, 05:47 PM

Kayak.com keeps emailing me price alerts for flights to Reykjavik. I never even requested alerts; I just searched for flights there once. I imagine there must be something in my profile that defaulted to send me these things unless I opt out. The annoying thing is I clicked the link in the email saying I didn't want alerts for this trip anymore like three times now but I keep getting them.

And as a side annoyance, as I previously complained in another thread, all the cheap flights they send me suck in terms of time and routing. They all have circuitous routings or more stops than necessary or extremely long layovers and take like 20 hours to get there (one had a whopping 27h 46m travel time), way longer than necessary. Even if I was still searching for flights I wouldn't book any of those. I don't mind paying a little extra for convenience.
Old 26 June 2017, 07:05 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Probably because they don't know what they're meant to be for, like I didn't... It seems like coffee shops use them for pretty much any cold drink here.....
Speaking about my experiences in the U.S.: Those spoon straws are commonly available any place slushies/slurpies are sold, but in almost every case, 'normal' straws are also available.
Old 27 June 2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Last time I went there, it was some depressing British pop music. Sounded like Morrissey and Alan Parsons had a baby and Shampoo were the surrogate mother. Still, it was an improvement over the previous channel. (I'm guessing they switch around through a cable music service.)
Made the mistake of going to another coffee place not far from that one. Ugh. Same price but with watery coffee from a machine. Music was some kind of ragtime band. Nice for the first few beats. Then just very annoying. I'll take the depressing British pop, even the annoying electronica, over this. I mean, big band ragtime would be good in a cartoon. Not for drinking bad coffee.