snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 20 November 2017, 08:18 PM

I had to interact with my father today. Not even five minutes and he still couldn't keep from infantilizing me, tone-policing, and exhibiting controlling behavior. I don't tolerate that from anyone. And my parents wonder why I don't speak to them unless absolutely necessary and why they will never be privy to anything in my life.
Old 20 November 2017, 11:54 PM

Someone posted a big announcement on FB that David Cassidy had died. Things are certainly not looking good but he's not dead yet (as of last time I checked anyway) when my sister pointed this out she was immediately jumped on because "according to wikipedia** he's dead". Well there you go. No need for medical personnel to declare someone dead, we have wikipedia .

**This may have been updated but this morning they were declaring him dead.
Old 21 November 2017, 02:10 PM

There is a Facebook page for my town which is really great for letting us know what is going on, and answering the small questions people get. What annoys me is how many times people ask the same question. A local place puts out a huge Christmas light display soon, and the last four posts on the town Facebook page were people asking when the lights are lit. Come on people, scroll up a bit, at least look at the LAST THREE POSTS that were all the same question before asking your own question.
Old 21 November 2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Someone posted a big announcement on FB that David Cassidy had died. Things are certainly not looking good but he's not dead yet (as of last time I checked anyway) when my sister pointed this out she was immediately jumped on because "according to wikipedia** he's dead". Well there you go. No need for medical personnel to declare someone dead, we have wikipedia .

**This may have been updated but this morning they were declaring him dead.
I would create a Wikipedia page for the person who said that, showing them as deceased, and send them a link.
Old 21 November 2017, 03:20 PM

Glasses

I had a little thing that annoyed me (something about computers), but now I can't remember what it was--which is a little thing that annoys me.

Seaboe
Old 21 November 2017, 07:50 PM

This could fit either a first world problem or lttam. The decision to either wait to get gas or buy gas now. When you buy gas now, the price ends up going down. You wait until later, price ends up going up.
Old 21 November 2017, 10:39 PM

I was driving and approaching a right turn on a low speed residential street, where I saw a skateboarder on the sidewalk who would reach the crosswalk about the same time as me. I stopped for him, and he looked and saw that so he kept moving. A driver coming the opposite direction saw me stopping as an opportunity to make a quick left turn and accelerated into the crosswalk, exactly where the skateboarder would have been if he didn't jump back out of the way. It was not a 4 way stop, so there was no situation in which he would have had the right of way to make a left turn before me, but he either didn't even look to see why I stopped or didn't care.
Old 22 November 2017, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
I was driving and approaching a right turn on a low speed residential street, where I saw a skateboarder on the sidewalk who would reach the crosswalk about the same time as me. I stopped for him, and he looked and saw that so he kept moving. A driver coming the opposite direction saw me stopping as an opportunity to make a quick left turn and accelerated into the crosswalk, exactly where the skateboarder would have been if he didn't jump back out of the way. It was not a 4 way stop, so there was no situation in which he would have had the right of way to make a left turn before me, but he either didn't even look to see why I stopped or didn't care.
And you being there doesn't actually matter. Shouldn't the pedestrian have had the right of way anyway?
Old 22 November 2017, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
And you being there doesn't actually matter. Shouldn't the pedestrian have had the right of way anyway?
Obviously. But it did matter a little that I was there. Because the other driver had actually stopped at the intersection because I was coming and would have had the right of way over him (but not the pedestrian). He only accelerated through the intersection after I stopped for the pedestrian. He went from stopped to through the intersection very abruptly and nobody was expecting it. Because I had right of way over that guy and he was stopped waiting for me, the pedestrian was mostly paying attention to whether I saw him, not the other guy. And when I stopped he assumed it was safe and started crossing.

Pedestrians may have the right of way but still look at what the cars are actually doing before walking into the street, because sometimes cars aren't paying attention to them. But if a car skips the normal traffic rules even with other cars and comes out of nowhere, it can surprise even a careful pedestrian.
Old 22 November 2017, 12:04 PM

It's annoying enough that for the past several years, it seems each winter I get a skin sensitivity to another product that I then need to switch brands/stop using. But even more frustrating than that (along with fearing I'm getting to where I'm running out of options for things that, well, aren't optional) is the process of trying to figure out what's causing my discomfort each time. So far in this thrilling episode, I haven't been able to isolate the irritant. Removal of each suspect item so far has either made no difference at all, or helped for a few hours and then the symptoms return.
Old 22 November 2017, 01:17 PM

Is it possible that you're having a reaction to:

- the cold? https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...n/con-20034524
- the dry air?
- something about or in winter clothes that have been in storage? (I personally have a dust mite allergy, and this has happened to me.)

You may find something useful in this article: https://www.healthline.com/health/sk...rs/winter-rash
Old 22 November 2017, 01:29 PM

Sensitive skin is a PITA. A few months ago, after years of using only fragrance-free detergent, I took a chance on some that was lightly scented, but intended for sensitive skin. I used it on my laundry for weeks with no problem, but now that I've been using it for a while I think it's starting to irritate my skin.

And it's entirely counter-intuitive sometimes, what bothers you and what doesn't. My brothers and I are among the few who aren't allergic to poison ivy -- we've been exposed to it dozens of times over many years and never broken out. But using the wrong soap or moisturizer will leave us in misery for days.
Old 22 November 2017, 01:40 PM

Sensitive sucks. I've had terrible issues on my hands for years. I recently figured out that the issues clear up when I'm on vacation. A bit more analysis and I narrowed it down to use of my car, not any car, my car. I wore gloves while driving for a while and then thoroughly cleaned the steering wheel which seems to have resolved the issue.
Old 22 November 2017, 02:02 PM

Whalephant

Yeah, sensitive skin is awful. When I was 7 or so mom bought Mr Bubble bubble bath as a treat for us. It made me and my sister cry when water touched our skin. Strong soap still makes water touching my skin after painful.
Old 23 November 2017, 04:46 AM

There's a chain of natural/organic grocery stores here in the western US called Sprouts Farmers Market. They're basically like a smaller Whole Foods (both in the sense of being a smaller company and that the stores themselves are physically smaller). The thing that annoys me is their name -- they're not a farmers market in any way, they're a friggin' grocery store. I'm honestly kind of surprised that there isn't some sort of official definition of "farmers market" and that they're allowed to call themselves that.
Old 23 November 2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
There's a chain of natural/organic grocery stores here in the western US called Sprouts Farmers Market. They're basically like a smaller Whole Foods (both in the sense of being a smaller company and that the stores themselves are physically smaller). The thing that annoys me is their name -- they're not a farmers market in any way, they're a friggin' grocery store. I'm honestly kind of surprised that there isn't some sort of official definition of "farmers market" and that they're allowed to call themselves that.
No you misunderstood, they're a market chain specifically catering to sprouts farmers.
Old 23 November 2017, 05:10 PM

This bugs me too.

In high school, I used to go bargain- hunting in LA's famous garment district (they started calling themselves the Fashion District in the '90s, but everyone still called it the garment district and a lot of old-timers still do.) It's a collection of independent clothing and fabric retailers clustered within several blocks that's been around in some form or another for about a century. Some only sell wholesale (but some who say that will let you in anyway if you ask nicely), some will let you haggle a bit if you're buying a lot from them, some speak very little English, so it helps to know a bit of Spanish. It's chaotic and fun; itís a cool piece of living history and the kind of open-air bazaar you rarely see in the US anymore outside of flea markets and farmers' markets.

So when I arrived in Boston for college and my new friends were all going to "the garment district," I got excited imagining what Boston's version of this would look like. And then I got there, and it was...a store. A giant thrift store with great bargains, including one floor of clothes for which you paid by the pound, but still a store, called The Garment District. And in small letters below the name, the words "it's not a district; itís a store!" Like, OK, but if you don't want to confuse people maybe don't pick a confusing name.
Old 23 November 2017, 05:43 PM

The red "hang up" button on my android phone seems to have stopped working (which is weird because it's an on-screen software button). Either that or I've completely forgotten how to hang up a call.

I can still answer a call by swiping the green answer button to the right, but when I want to hang up, the red button does nothing, whether I tap it, swipe it or hold it.

Given that half the calls I get these days are "I'm informed you've been in a car accident that wasn't your fault," I usually just say "Sorry, that's not true," and then (try to) hang up. But the hang up button doesn't work, and in those cases the person on the call continues with some further spiel until you actually do hang up. I can hear them talking away, and I guess hearing whatever background noise I'm making, until either they give up or my phone eventually realises that I'm trying to hang up the call.

I don't think I'm imagining it, either. This time it was a PPI compensation call, and I tried to hang up after saying I wasn't interested, but it wouldn't. In this case the guy was quite polite and just apologised for bothering me and hung up quickly by himself, so it didn't matter.

But it's annoying, and I'm not sure why it's happened. I still can't get over the feeling that I'm being stupid and have just forgotten how to hang up, as well. When I first got this phone, I missed two or three calls because I thought that simply touching the green button should answer them, whereas you have to hold it and swipe right (why?). But I used to be able to hang up without doing anything complicated, I'm sure, and the button doesn't respond whatever I do anyway.

(eta) That's ignoring the annoyance of even getting these calls on a mobile phone in the first place. It used to be illegal to make this sort of mass unsolicited call to a mobile device. Presumably it no longer is.

(eta again) After looking it up, it seems this is not an infrequent occurrence, and that you can get round it by enabling an option to let you hang up by pressing the (physical) power off button. I just turned it on, so that should help. It's annoying the on-screen button doesn't work, though. I think it may be something to do with locking the screen while you're on a call so that your ear doesn't press anything, or something...? It would have to be able to tell you'd put it to your ear, but not notice you'd taken it away again.

Last edited by Richard W; 23 November 2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 23 November 2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
When I first got this phone, I missed two or three calls because I thought that simply touching the green button should answer them, whereas you have to hold it and swipe right (why?).
That happened to me when I first got my Android phone. I don't think that aspect of it is very user-friendly. With flip phones I could press on physical buttons or "flip open = answer call, close = hang up" but it took me a while to get the hang of my new phone.
Old 23 November 2017, 06:58 PM

Richard, have you tried performing a hard reset on your phone?