snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 18 November 2017, 06:30 PM

I also wondered, "very atractive female," whats? Horses, goats, gold fish?
Old 19 November 2017, 01:27 AM

Mouse

Maybe we can make it part of the job requirements: in addition to having to meet age requirements and the like, a prospective candidate has to pass a test proving that they understand the concept of consent.
Old 19 November 2017, 04:51 AM

Maybe we need to elect more women*.

*Not being sarcastic. Well, I am being sarcastic but it is a good idea.
Old 19 November 2017, 06:18 AM

Bang Head

It's beyond shameful that in 2017 there are so few women in power. It's all part of the same system that both causes this kind of thing and is the result of it. So changing that one thing wouldn't change much but it would be one step in the right direction. Homeostasis is the monstrous wall that heals itself. Sometimes if one part gets torn down it makes that part even stronger the next time around.
Old 20 November 2017, 01:22 AM

Mouse

I’m totally on board with that. Michael Moore, in one of his books, suggested various kinds of tests presidential candidates should have to undergo. While I think he’s onto something with requiring candidates to retake the SAT in a classroom full of high school seniors, I think another one he mentioned, may have some more relevance. He suggests that a male candidate be forced to select a female running mate. Upon winning, he must shoot himself, because in all likelihood, the only way we’ll get a female president is if a man dies or kills himself.

I find Michael Moore to be entirely too smug to tolerate, but goddangit, he’s probably right.
Old 20 November 2017, 07:19 AM

No

It's certainly very nice of Judge O'Neill to publish intimated details about women who are identifyable to at least family, friends and co-workers. I'm sure he asked them beforehand...

Old 20 November 2017, 04:43 PM

I seem to recall that when a new government was formed in Afghanistan, after we chased the Taliban out of power, one of the boasts was that their new constitution required that at least a third, or 40%, or some such faction, of the members of their parliament had to be female.

I can think of a few other countries that might profit by a rule like that....
Old 20 November 2017, 05:21 PM

Default Woman says Franken inappropriately touched her in 2010

A woman says Sen. Al Franken inappropriately touched her in 2010, telling CNN that he grabbed her buttocks while taking a photo at the Minnesota State Fair.

It is the first allegation of improper touching by Franken, who is a Democrat, while he was in office.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/20/politi...010/index.html
Old 20 November 2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Maybe we need to elect more women*.

*Not being sarcastic. Well, I am being sarcastic but it is a good idea.
There are plenty of women who have internalized misogyny and who support patriarchy. If they run for office, they shouldn't get more support simply because they're women.
Old 20 November 2017, 06:45 PM

Of course, but the majority of elected officials are still old white men. Increasing the diversity level would help.
Old 20 November 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
There are plenty of women who have internalized misogyny and who support patriarchy.
True. But I don't think the changes that need to happen will really change without serious changes. So given the choice between a patriarchal woman and a patriarchal man, I do think it's much better to have the woman in power. It causes its own problems of homeostasis, as we have seen with the backlash against a black president. There is also the problem that it leads to the delusion that it's a great leap forward, which I think we also saw in the case of Obama, sort of "well, that problem is solved". I think we saw these issues with black mayors of US cities who, because they're human have to work within the same racist foundation as the white ones no matter how good their intentions, couldn't get rid of the ghettos, nor fill in the deep trenches of a long history of redlining. (It turns out there's no racism or patriarchal support required to keep those engines turning.) In the end, it turns out to be only one of many tiny incremental changes that need to be made but it needs to be made.
Old 21 November 2017, 01:54 PM

O'Neill's "apology" is a piece of work, too. IDK if the Dispatch intended the headline to be snarky, or if I'm just reading into it.
Old 21 November 2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
But if I have helped elevate the discussion on the serious issues of sexual assault, as opposed to personal indiscretions, to a new level ... I make no apologies.
That's a big "if", there.

And why does he apologise to his daughters, but not to the women he mentioned in his first post?
Old 21 November 2017, 04:51 PM

Because he actually cares about/is meaningfully affected by being on his daughters' bad side, I'm guessing: one local story had a reference to his getting grief from all the women women in his family.

In other words, it's all about him, again. Still.
Old 21 November 2017, 06:20 PM

Lainie, I assume it was a typo, but I like that you put women twice. It's like he's getting grief from all the women in his family, and all the women in those women's families too!
Old 07 December 2017, 05:24 PM

Default Al Franken resigns, blasts Republican hypocrisy on sexual misconduct

Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., the former “Saturday Night Live” comic who made an improbable journey to become a leading liberal voice in the Senate, announced on Thursday that he will leave office in the coming weeks, after a string of allegations of sexual misconduct and mounting pressure from Democratic lawmakers to step down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...ations-n825576
Old 07 December 2017, 05:42 PM

Well Conyers and Franken are out and Trump and Moore are not. "He says it didn't happen, and you have to listen to him also". So by GOP moral calculus they are morally superior because their party isn't pressuring them to resign.
Old 07 December 2017, 05:56 PM

The only mathematical part of GOP morals is the square root of negative one.

ETA: Very mixed feelings about Franken resigning. On one hand, the things that he has admitted to and he has alleged to have done shouldn't be things a lawmaker can get away with. On the other hand, if only one side is going to do the proper thing it could make the power imbalance even worse. Minnesota has a Democratic governor so Franken's replacement should also be a Democrat, but his seat is up in 2020 and his margin of victory in 2014 was not so great that I'd count on the 2020 election going to the Democrats.

Last edited by GenYus234; 07 December 2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07 December 2017, 07:17 PM

But if Democrats show that they're morally no better than Republicans, how would that improve their chances of winning?
Old 07 December 2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
But if Democrats show that they're morally no better than Republicans, how would that improve their chances of winning?
Is there any evidence that attempting to show moral superiority in that way does improve their chances of winning?

Particularly compared to incumbency?

Even if it hurts Democrats' chances of winning, though, it is still the better thing to do. But don't kid yourself. I will be surprised if Roy Moore is not elected. And many incumbents (Democrats and Republicans) have been reelected after weathering very serious scandals. Resignations likely hurt more than they help, I would guess, as far as actual votes cast.