snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 12 November 2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
[The period costumes just add to the charm and yes, that does include Poirotís fabulous mustache.
In the books he (Poirot) always refers to them as moustaches I have a fair few Christie novels, mostly second hand but not that one. Still I saw earlier version of Murder on the Orient Express on VHS in the 80's. I think I remember "who dun it" but am not sure it may have been Death on the Nile cause there was an earlier version of it too.
Old 12 November 2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Murder on the Orient Express was a nice little period drama. Though I enjoy the heck out of superhero movies, at the same time, Murder was a nice break, a quieter, more interior movie, more of a puzzle than a big dramatic thriller.
Being a huge Christie aficionado I am always hesitant to see film or TV versions of her novels. Sounds like this one could work though. Without giving away the ending to anyone who is unfamiliar with the book could you tell me if the movie honours the plot of the book or are they just using the title?!
Old 13 November 2017, 02:09 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
In the books he (Poirot) always refers to them as moustaches
That's really the only way to refer to what we see in the movie: moustache, with every syllable drawn out for maximum effect. Because that thing truly is a work of art and we must honor the squirrel that gave its life so Kenneth Branaugh could look so damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Being a huge Christie aficionado I am always hesitant to see film or TV versions of her novels. Sounds like this one could work though. Without giving away the ending to anyone who is unfamiliar with the book could you tell me if the movie honours the plot of the book or are they just using the title?!
I haven't formally read the book, but I kind of already knew about it, thanks to Wikipedia. Was looking up something else and I stumbled onto that. For the record, the answer is yes.
Old 13 November 2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
In the books he (Poirot) always refers to them as moustaches
Quote:
That's really the only way to refer to what we see in the movie: moustache, with every syllable drawn out for maximum effect. yes.
I meant he refers to them as moustaches, in the plural. Which is why I said them.
Old 18 November 2017, 02:10 AM

Mouse

Saw Justice League. I freely admit I'm wondering how much of this movie was Zack Snyder's creation and how much of it was Joss Whedon; it does have Snyder's heavy use of slo-mo, but it is entirely too well-lit and there's little, if any, shaky cam. Maybe Snyder was visited by three ghosts, which inspired him to buy a tripod and realize, "Y'know, maybe light and color aren't the enemies I always thought they were."

I've more or less accepted that anything the DC movies does, the DCAU has done ten times better. There will never be anything close to the scope and grandeur of the DCAU. Some have come close, but for me, Kevin Conroy is and always will be Batman, and Mark Hamill is and always will be the Joker. Of course, you can't talk about this kind of stuff unless you're around other animation buffs. :grumbles:

In any case, it's not as good as Wonder Woman, but it's loads better than any of the films before. It actually has light and color AND the heroes are actually acting heroic, rather than just everyone saying they're heroic. Well, except for Batman. For some reason, dark and angsty=being a butt who is absolutely no fun to be around.

They were clearly trying to ape Spider-Man from Captain America 3 with Barry Allen, which got a little tiring after a while. Peter Parker was a goofball and was overflowing with excitement over being invited to the melee, but at the same time, he could actually hold his own in a fight. Again, DC tries to imitate Marvel tropes without understanding why said trope worked, a rare slipup in the DCEU.

In any case, I don't really have a lot to say. Nice to know I don't have to do any more frothing rants regarding Zack Snyder. I honestly think I should get that procedure done from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, so I can forget Man of Steel. That movie provokes so much fervor in me, so much so that if anything happens to Snyder, I'm probably on the top of the suspects list. I won't go into too much detail, unless asked, but there are bad movies and then there are the type of bad movies where you're like, "All right, now this has gotten personal!"

I heard rumors that DC is considering calling it quits on their cinematic universe. I'm not going to deny that I understand why they would. They've poured in all this money, only to wind up with a lot of insane fanboy rage. Frankly I keep going, "Get the guys involved with the DCAU to do your movies! They've proven they can tell great stories with these characters that appeal to kids and adults alike," but I don't know if anyone will ever listen to me.

Though really, the only question I want answered is, in the DCEU, does World War II ever happen? I'm wondering if Wonder Woman's actions were enough to prevent an encore performance. It'd make more sense than her deciding to do her nails or something while Hitler waltzes around Europe.

I'm also wondering if we really needed the rest of the League. She nearly has Superman's entire power set, minus the Kryptonite weakness, the opening proves she's nearly as freakishly fast as the Flash, and I imagine in her prolonged lifespan, she's learned enough to go toe-to-toe with Batman in intellect. And she rocks the hell out of a blue dress and is much more fun to be around than Batman. Maybe have Cyborg with her, but still.

tl;dr, it was a solid, albeit unmemorable film.
Old 18 November 2017, 02:39 AM

Presumably WW2 happened with Wonder Woman countering Axis supervillains. I believe that's the typical explanation for why superheroes didn't just stop Hitler.
Old 19 November 2017, 01:18 AM

Mouse

You may be right, but I remember the bit with Ares where he talks about "a treaty that could never be kept" and I wonder if maybe WWI was resolved differently in the DCEU. Maybe rather than the punishing Versailles Treaty, the victors took a different approach. Germany doesn't go through a crushing depression that ends up being the perfect environment for Hitler to come into power, so there's no World War II. Also, don't overlook the effect that having a super-powered being like Wonder Woman would have on the world at large. Maybe nobody dares start anything because she would shut that shit down so fast.

I suppose I think too much about this, but I am an obsessive geek; it's part of the job description.
Old 19 November 2017, 04:50 AM

Comic books rarely make serious changes to world events unless it's a plot point, though, even if it would make sense. That's why Reed Richards Is Useless.
Old 20 November 2017, 05:25 AM

I think if you leave World War II out of history, too much else would be changed to leave us in a recognizable present. It really was the pivotal event of the 20th century in many ways.

Anyway, I liked Justice League quite a bit more than I thought I would. My summing up elsewhere is that it's certainly not the Justice League movie I would have made, but it's not a movie I really wish they hadn't made. And I had to let out a sound of delight when Cyborg delivered his final line.
Old 20 November 2017, 10:19 AM

I just saw Justice League and it was fine. Not terrible, not great, just fine.
Old 20 November 2017, 02:35 PM

Default Lady Bird

Watched "Lady Bird" this weekend. Very good coming of age story about a woman's senior year of high school and her relationship with her mother, her catholic high school, friends, classmates, and home town.

Strong themes of young people figuring out who the are, class differences, and family dynamics.

I watched in Sacramento, which is the setting of the movie, as well as the home town of the writer/director. It was very amusing to be watching the movie in the historic Tower theater which was featured in a montage of Sacramento landmarks. Something about seeing a movie in the theater that is in the movie.
Old 20 November 2017, 05:24 PM

Saw Justice League. Loved it. I have no idea what problems critics have with it, because it was just what I was looking for in the movie. The Flash was outstanding - I'm a big fan of The Flash on TV, but I think Ezra Miller may have outdone them. Momoa was great as Aquaman, and his water scenes and stuff with Mera made me excited for his solo outing. Gal Gadot was every bit as good as in WW. The guy playing Cyborg was good, and played a major part, but was not the standout that the others were. Batman and Superman were fine - nothing special, but fine. Superman's best moments by far were interacting with the Flash.
Worst parts of the movie are the holdouts from Man of Steel. Cavill as Superman, to a degree, but I actually saw bits of him being Super. The biggest problem by far was Henry Cavill's lip. But Amy Adams was horrible, and I don't know why they continue to bring Diane Lane into the show. She did nothing to justify the screen time. (As a note, I love Amy Adams in almost everything else, and think she needs to be cast as adult Bev in IT, but her Lois is by far the worst Lois I've ever seen.)
Old 20 November 2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post
I watched in Sacramento, which is the setting of the movie, as well as the home town of the writer/director. It was very amusing to be watching the movie in the historic Tower theater which was featured in a montage of Sacramento landmarks. Something about seeing a movie in the theater that is in the movie.
I might have to go do that, too. I don't often see movies at the Tower just because there are other theaters closer to me, and I don't go to see movies at the theater very often to begin with. I think the majority of times I've been there was when I had family visiting from out of town and I wanted to show them a local landmark. But I was thinking even before you mentioned it that Lady Bird seemed like the sort of movie they would show and that it might be fun to watch it there.

A bit of trivia for non-Sacramento area snopesters: The Tower Theater in Sacramento was where Tower Records got its name.
Old 20 November 2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I might have to go do that, too.
It was an interesting extra dimension to watch the movie as a local of the setting to try and figure out how many scenes we could place and identify.
Old 20 November 2017, 06:29 PM

I had a slightly odd moment regarding that movie last week. I was running errands and had the car radio on KXJZ (the local Public Radio station). When I went into the store they were airing Insight, a local talk/interview show that often features local artists and performers. When I came out of the store and got back in the car and turned the radio back on I heard the director of Lady Bird talking about filming the movie in Sacramento, so I assumed I was still listening to Insight. Then I noticed the time and realized that show was over and she was in fact being interviewed by Terry Gross on Fresh Air. That is to say a big well known national NPR show rather than our little local show.